Where do you guys fall along the MBTI scale?

Exploring Theravāda's connections to other paths - what can we learn from other traditions, religions and philosophies?
MisterRunon

Where do you guys fall along the MBTI scale?

Post by MisterRunon » Sun Dec 14, 2014 9:25 am

I just read an article on the INTP class, and it mentions:
The way of the Buddha is in many ways characteristic of the INTP approach—figure out how to save yourself first, then help others do the same. In this light, the idea of grassroots or “bottom-up” change holds particular appeal for INTPs.
I am pretty certain I am an INTP. Obviously not every Buddhist is an INTP, but I'm going to take a guess that there is a disproportionate number of INTPs here (as well as INTJs).

tiltbillings

Re: Where do you guys fall along the MBTI scale?

Post by tiltbillings » Sun Dec 14, 2014 9:33 am

MisterRunon wrote:I just read an article on the INTP class, and it mentions:
The way of the Buddha is in many ways characteristic of the INTP approach—figure out how to save yourself first, then help others do the same. In this light, the idea of grassroots or “bottom-up” change holds particular appeal for INTPs.
I am pretty certain I am an INTP. Obviously not every Buddhist is an INTP, but I'm going to take a guess that there is a disproportionate number of INTPs here (as well as INTJs).
Damdifino what any of those letter groups stand for. I wonder if should care.
>> Do you see a man wise [enlightened/ariya] in his own eyes? There is more hope for a fool than for him.<< -- Proverbs 26:12

This being is bound to samsara, kamma is his means for going beyond. -- SN I, 38.

“Of course it is happening inside your head, Harry, but why on earth should that mean that it is not real?” HPatDH p.723

MisterRunon

Post by MisterRunon » Sun Dec 14, 2014 9:46 am

tiltbillings wrote:
Damdifino what any of those letter groups stand for. I wonder if should care.
It's a Myers Briggs personality test. You can see what you are by going here: http://www.16personalities.com/free-personality-test

I'm just curious to see if there is a particular personality type that resonates with Buddhism.

tiltbillings

Post by tiltbillings » Sun Dec 14, 2014 9:50 am

MisterRunon wrote:
It's a Myers Briggs personality test. You can see what you are by going here: http://www.16personalities.com/free-personality-test

I'm just curious to see if there is a particular personality type that resonates with Buddhism.
Thanks.
>> Do you see a man wise [enlightened/ariya] in his own eyes? There is more hope for a fool than for him.<< -- Proverbs 26:12

This being is bound to samsara, kamma is his means for going beyond. -- SN I, 38.

“Of course it is happening inside your head, Harry, but why on earth should that mean that it is not real?” HPatDH p.723

Dinsdale

Post by Dinsdale » Sun Dec 14, 2014 10:32 am

MisterRunon wrote: It's a Myers Briggs personality test. You can see what you are by going here: http://www.16personalities.com/free-personality-test
I did this years ago and came out as a "creative plant" or something... ;)
Buddha save me from new-agers!

Mkoll

Post by Mkoll » Sun Dec 14, 2014 10:49 am

Yep, INTP. There's a thread at Dharma Wheel and people who've taken the test tend to start with "IN."
Namo tassa bhagavato arahato samma sambuddhassa

Dhammanando

Post by Dhammanando » Sun Dec 14, 2014 10:58 am

According to the test on your link:

PERSONALITY: INFP
VARIANT: TURBULENT
ROLE: DIPLOMAT

You are one of the Diplomats - an empathic and idealistic individual who enjoys exploring interesting ideas and prizes morality. You are known for your poetic nature, intuitive skills and pure, childlike enthusiasm.

:coffee:

Famous INFPs: William Shakespeare, J.R.R. Tolkien, Björk, Johnny Depp, Julia Roberts, Lisa Kudrow, Tom Hiddleston, Homer, Virgil.

cooran

Post by cooran » Sun Dec 14, 2014 12:07 pm

Nothing personal: The questionable Myers-Briggs Test
http://www.theguardian.com/science/brai ... scientific
---The trouble is that you think you have time---
---Worry is the Interest, paid in advance, on a debt you may never owe---
---It's not what happens to you in life that is important ~ it's what you do with it ---

Digity

Post by Digity » Sun Dec 14, 2014 5:08 pm

I'm an INTP. I agree that the INTP personality is well suited for Buddhism. It's also one of the rarest personality types out there. That explains why I feel like an oddball at times in this world...:rolleye:...but it makes sense too, because the vast majority of people are flowing along in samsara. There's few of us that are looking for a way out and trying to seek truth. Those who are of the INTP type and more inclined to do this search rather than just go with the flow of samsara.
Last edited by Digity on Sun Dec 14, 2014 5:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Dinsdale

Post by Dinsdale » Sun Dec 14, 2014 5:14 pm

cooran wrote:Nothing personal: The questionable Myers-Briggs Test
http://www.theguardian.com/science/brai ... scientific
Extract: "That's the problem, though; the MBTI is predominately used in the workplace by HR departments, development/training teams and the like, who can often be clearly unaware of its limitations".

I used to have some involvement in organisational team building, and there is some truth in this. People liked the simplicity of it but then often didn't know what to do with the results.
Buddha save me from new-agers!

daverupa

Post by daverupa » Sun Dec 14, 2014 5:18 pm

Here is a nice review of the scale.

---

It's modern astrology.
  • "And how is it, bhikkhus, that by protecting oneself one protects others? By the pursuit, development, and cultivation of the four establishments of mindfulness. It is in such a way that by protecting oneself one protects others.

"And how is it, bhikkhus, that by protecting others one protects oneself? By patience, harmlessness, goodwill, and sympathy. It is in such a way that by protecting others one protects oneself.

- Sedaka Sutta [SN 47.19]

Digity

Post by Digity » Sun Dec 14, 2014 5:19 pm

We're talking about MBTI in the religious/spiritual context. It's not the same as hiring someone for a job. I think personality types have a lot to do with what spiritual practice someone takes up. If you're an INTP I think Buddhism is more likely to resonate with you than some God based religion like Christianity. I would get into such heated debates growing up, because I thought Christianity was absurd. When I discovered Buddhism it was just a relief and it made such sense to me. Someone of a different personality type would probably have the opposite effect. To them Christianity would make sense and Buddhism would seem silly.

Lazy_eye

Post by Lazy_eye » Sun Dec 14, 2014 5:20 pm

I've done versions of this test several times over the years, starting with high school, and nearly always get INFP. The one time I got a different result was after I had consciously chosen answers different from the ones I would normally choose.

My interest was revived after my son took the "16 personalities" quiz and got INTP; my wife got ENFP; my two sisters were both INFJ, my brother-in-law INTP. My closest male friend is INFP, my closest female friend is INFJ. I was curious to find out what the situation might be on the discussion boards hat I frequent. Coincidentally, someone had started a thread at Dharma Wheel on the topic. INFP was the predominant type over there.

I was thinking of starting a thread here, but MisterRunon beat me to it. My guess was that this board would lean more towards INTP.

The MBTI's robustness has indeed been challenged, as Cooran points out. I have to admit, though, that I feel (being the intuitive sort) there's something to it. :)
Last edited by Lazy_eye on Sun Dec 14, 2014 6:00 pm, edited 6 times in total.

dhammarelax

Post by dhammarelax » Sun Dec 14, 2014 5:21 pm

I am an INTJ, quite impressive if you read the whole thing.

Keep smiling all the time
dhammarelax
Even if the flesh & blood in my body dry up, leaving just the skin, tendons, & bones, I will use all my human firmness, human persistence and human striving. There will be no relaxing my persistence until I am the first of my generation to attain full awakening in this lifetime. ed. AN 2.5

Digity

Post by Digity » Sun Dec 14, 2014 5:29 pm

Lazy_eye wrote:The MBTI's robustness has indeed been challenged, as Cooran points out. I have to admit, though, that I feel (being the intuitive sort) there's something to it. :)
I too think there's substance to MBTI. The problem is when you pigeon-hole yourself into one of these categories and then you tailor your actions to be "INTJ"-like or whatever, because that's what you think you are. The MTBI is really just pointing out how your mind tends to lean. Does it lean towards introversion or extroversion? Towards thinking or feeling? The minds leans in one direction or the other. MTBI is just pointing out those directions. But the mind can change its direction and lean elsewhere. Our personalities are malleable and can evolve and change. I think that's the important thing to keep in mind. Take the whole MTBI with a grain of salt, but at the same time acknowledge that it's saying something real.