Are my future parents already here?

Exploring Theravāda's connections to other paths - what can we learn from other traditions, religions and philosophies?
SarathW

Re: Are my future parents already here?

Post by SarathW »

Manopubbangama wrote:
Mon Jan 28, 2019 7:42 am
SarathW wrote:
Tue Oct 07, 2014 7:58 am
I had this thought today.
The whole world is changing at the same time, may be in a different rate.
So when a person is dying, at the same time preparation for his rebirth also taking place.
So my future parents could be my next door boy or girl.
Perhaps the bird who is making the nest in the tree in my garden!
:thinking:
What I like about this idea, is that it gives another reason to treat everyone kindly. :anjali:
Yes, we all are interconnected.
We don't see this due to our ignorance.
I agree Buddha's advise is to go beyond this however in conventional reality this is the highest we can go.
:group:
“As the lamp consumes oil, the path realises Nibbana”

Aloka

Post by Aloka »

SarathW wrote:
So when a person is dying, at the same time preparation for his rebirth also taking place.
There's a saying in Tibetan Buddhism : "All sentient beings have been our mothers". However, I prefer not to speculate about these things myself.

:anjali:

Manopubbangama

Post by Manopubbangama »

Aloka wrote:
Mon Jan 28, 2019 3:59 pm
SarathW wrote:
There's a saying in Tibetan Buddhism : "All sentient beings have been our mothers". However, I prefer not to speculate about these things myself.

Thats kinda gross when you think about it.

Aloka

Post by Aloka »

Manopubbangama wrote:
Mon Jan 28, 2019 4:34 pm

Here's an example:

https://thubtenchodron.org/2003/05/parents-importance/

Manopubbangama

Post by Manopubbangama »

Aloka wrote:
Mon Jan 28, 2019 5:11 pm
Manopubbangama wrote:
Mon Jan 28, 2019 4:34 pm

Here's an example:

https://thubtenchodron.org/2003/05/parents-importance/

the thought experiment works as asubha for me.

SarathW

Post by SarathW »

Aloka wrote:
SarathW wrote:

At Savatthi. There the Blessed One said: "From an inconstruable beginning comes transmigration. A beginning point is not evident, though beings hindered by ignorance and fettered by craving are transmigrating & wandering on. A being who has not been your mother at one time in the past is not easy to find... A being who has not been your father... your brother... your sister... your son... your daughter at one time in the past is not easy to find.

"Why is that? From an inconstruable beginning comes transmigration. A beginning point is not evident, though beings hindered by ignorance and fettered by craving are transmigrating & wandering on. Long have you thus experienced stress, experienced pain, experienced loss, swelling the cemeteries — enough to become disenchanted with all fabricated things, enough to become dispassionate, enough to be released."
https://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitak ... .than.html

Manopubbangama

Post by Manopubbangama »

SarathW wrote:
Mon Jan 28, 2019 8:16 pm
Aloka wrote:
SarathW wrote:

At Savatthi. There the Blessed One said: "From an inconstruable beginning comes transmigration. A beginning point is not evident, though beings hindered by ignorance and fettered by craving are transmigrating & wandering on. A being who has not been your mother at one time in the past is not easy to find... A being who has not been your father... your brother... your sister... your son... your daughter at one time in the past is not easy to find.

"Why is that? From an inconstruable beginning comes transmigration. A beginning point is not evident, though beings hindered by ignorance and fettered by craving are transmigrating & wandering on. Long have you thus experienced stress, experienced pain, experienced loss, swelling the cemeteries — enough to become disenchanted with all fabricated things, enough to become dispassionate, enough to be released."
Thank you Sarath, what a great find. :namaste:

Dan74-MkII

Post by Dan74-MkII »

I suppose it can be unnerving to slowly realise that those 'orgasmic buddhism' people are actually on the same path as you..

Aloka

Post by Aloka »

Dan74-MkII wrote:
Mon Jan 28, 2019 9:46 pm
I suppose it can be unnerving to slowly realise that those 'orgasmic buddhism' people are actually on the same path as you..

I don't really understand who you're talking about, or who you're talking to, Dan. Perhaps you could clarify?

Dan74-MkII

Post by Dan74-MkII »

Aloka wrote:
Mon Jan 28, 2019 10:38 pm
Dan74-MkII wrote:
Mon Jan 28, 2019 9:46 pm

I don't really understand who you're talking about, or who you're talking to, Dan. Perhaps you could clarify?

It was a turn of phrase employed by the intended receipient of the message on a number of occasions, Aloka. He will recognise it.

Sectarianism is an obstacle on the path, IMO. It is absolutely fine to commit oneself to a tradition, but it is not helpful to denigrate the ones one has not committed onself to. Denigrating a genuine Dharma tradition is not only bad kamma for oneself, but it may stop others from finding something precious. Tiltbillings, who used to be a member and a moderator here, as well as a former bhikkhu, once shared that his Zen teacher used to denigrate Theravada which kept him from exploring and finding his Dhamma home for some years. The same goes in converse.

_/|\_
Last edited by Dan74-MkII on Tue Jan 29, 2019 7:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

retrofuturist
Site Admin

Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings,

:focus:

Metta,
Paul. :)
"The uprooting of identity is seen by the noble ones as pleasurable; but this contradicts what the whole world sees." (Snp 3.12)

"It is natural that one who knows and sees things as they really are is disenchanted and dispassionate." (AN 10.2)

“Truth does not change according to our ability to stomach it.” (Flannery O'Connor)

DooDoot

Post by DooDoot »

SarathW wrote:
Volo wrote:
Sat Jan 05, 2019 6:05 am
na so, bhikkhave, satto sulabharūpo yo namātābhūtapubbo iminā dīghena addhunā.
Interesting translation. Can you or anyone else explain why it is translated as "your" mother? Thanks
SarathW wrote:

SarathW. How does the above teaching about "mother", "father", etc, lead to disenchanted with all fabricated things, enough to become dispassionate, enough to be released? Thanks :shrug:
There is always an official executioner. If you try to take his place, It is like trying to be a master carpenter and cutting wood. If you try to cut wood like a master carpenter, you will only hurt your hand.

https://soundcloud.com/doodoot/paticcasamuppada
https://soundcloud.com/doodoot/anapanasati

SarathW

Post by SarathW »

Haven't you had enough with your father... your brother... your sister... your son your friends your forum friends, your work mate so on?
Would you like me to be your wife etc for anther unthinkable life time?
I am glad you enjoy this Samsara so much.
:tongue:

Dhammanando

Post by Dhammanando »

DooDoot wrote:
Tue Jan 29, 2019 1:21 am
Interesting translation. Can you or anyone else explain why it is translated as "your" mother? Thanks
In Pali usage when A and B are conversing, any time A says "mātā" (or some other familial term) it always means "your (i.e. B's) mother" unless: (1) A uses some possessive pronoun to indicate that it's his own mother or some third party's mother, (2) A uses some indefinite pronoun (e.g. aññatara) to indicate that it's some unspecified mother, or (3) A and B are siblings, in which case it means "our mother".

Taṃ kho pana te etaṃ pāpakammaṃ. Neva mātarā kataṃ na pitarā kataṃ...

"That evil action was done by you. It was not done by [your] mother, it was not done by [your] father..."
“Keep to your own pastures, bhikkhus, walk in the haunts where your fathers roamed.
If ye thus walk in them, Māra will find no lodgement, Māra will find no foothold.”
— Cakkavattisīhanāda Sutta

DooDoot

Post by DooDoot »

Dhammanando wrote:
Tue Jan 29, 2019 3:34 am
Thank you Ven Dhammanando.
SarathW wrote:
Tue Jan 29, 2019 1:58 am
Haven't you had enough with your father... your brother... your sister... your son your friends your forum friends, your work mate so on?
I suppose so. But sometimes they do benevolent things. There is gift; there is sacrifice; there is mother & father (MN 117).
SarathW wrote:
Would you like me to be your wife etc for anther unthinkable life time?
Are u a lady? :shock:
SarathW wrote:
I am glad you enjoy this Samsara so much.
I suppose if I view everyone as my mother, father, sister & brother and then realise they all will die into the cemetery; that could help with dispassion. But then, if they all do good kamma and get reborn, why dispassion? Shouldn't I celebrate? :shrug: Personally. I have never been able to understand Chapter 15 of the SN. :?
Last edited by DooDoot on Tue Jan 29, 2019 5:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
There is always an official executioner. If you try to take his place, It is like trying to be a master carpenter and cutting wood. If you try to cut wood like a master carpenter, you will only hurt your hand.

https://soundcloud.com/doodoot/paticcasamuppada
https://soundcloud.com/doodoot/anapanasati