Are my future parents already here?

Exploring Theravāda's connections to other paths - what can we learn from other traditions, religions and philosophies?
Spiny Norman

Re: Are my future parents already here?

Post by Spiny Norman »

ihrjordan wrote:... rather than going around asking/scaring young couples on the topic of if they will be your future ma and pa :tongue:
You could get in a lot of trouble doing that. :jumping:
Buddha save me from new-agers!

justindesilva

Post by justindesilva »

Good question. But would it not be better to think about avoiding future parents , hence contemplating on the four noble truths and avoiding future births in to lower realms.The only way is the eight food path advocated by Lord Budda. Once on this eight fold path such questions will not arise on the mind.
Observation of five precepts is one way to be in the eight fold path.
May there be peaceful thoughts in the minds of all !

SarathW

Post by SarathW »

chownah wrote:
SarathW wrote:Agree.
But we are still here.
So we have to make the best here until we get there!
:)
I agree. It seems that the buddha taught that inappropriate attention is not the way to make the best here until we get there!
chownah
I think the awareness of the operation of Kamma is appropriate attention.
“As the lamp consumes oil, the path realises Nibbana”

chownah

Post by chownah »

SarathW wrote:
chownah wrote:
SarathW wrote:Agree.
But we are still here.
So we have to make the best here until we get there!
I agree. It seems that the buddha taught that inappropriate attention is not the way to make the best here until we get there!
chownah
I think the awareness of the operation of Kamma is appropriate attention.
I think you are mistaken. Didn't the buddha teach that the exact working out of kamma is unponderable and would only lead to a disrupted mind and vexation?...or something like that?

At the risk of a disrupted mind and vexation I will make a comment on this topic. If you think that your future parents are already here then this means that your future is fixed and unchanging. Seems that this is in violation of annica.....it means that awakening is impossible for you in this life. Can it be helpful to develop a belief that if held implies that awakening is impossible for you in this life?
chownah
p.s. Having just seen the matricide/patricide thread I'm wondering that if someone met their future parent and then had sex with that parent and then just after the act was complete but just before the egg and sperm united is it possible that the person could die and then be reborn with the result that they would be their own parent?....would this be good....or bad? Of course from the standpoint of the antinatal therad it would be bad but what about other perspectives.
chownah
Last edited by chownah on Thu Jul 28, 2016 4:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

SarathW

Post by SarathW »

I think you are mistaken.
When I said future parents, I did not mean with a predetermined parents.
It could be one of billions of beings.
Please also consider the possibility of re-born without parents.

chownah

Post by chownah »

I added on to my previous post after you commented.
chownah
Edit: If you did not mean predetermined parents then the question about if they are already here is sort of nonsensical. If you did not mean predetermined parent then the question is just about whether you think your future kamma will have any effect on your rebirth. If you think your future parents are in fact here then this means that your future kamma will not effect your rebirth.

Also, you might not mean your future parents are predetermined but it seems that some/many/most of the people posting here are interpreting the thread to mean that they are predetermined.

Can ideas which deny the effect of your future kamma be beneficial?
chownah

SarathW

Post by SarathW »

I am stating a very simple fact.

Say if I invite you for dinner while you are on the way to my house you know that I am preparing your dinner.
That's all.
World does not operate in isolation only with your Kamma.

The Thinker

Post by The Thinker »

Bhikkhu pesala wrote:
No all speculation about the next existence is fruitless
Good morning Bhikkhu Pesala, A point of confusion for myself on this point is that if speculation is pointless, then how can one believe in reincarnation in the born again into a new person and personality etc way, but at the same time believe those who claim to have been born again?, this is most confusing for me, now I believe in mental momentary rebirth, but I do not know or really believe in a creator (who created the creator etc?).
Without Speculation ,I could not draw my own conclusion, My bigger confusion is that I read and listen to Ajahn Sumedho who I believe gives a more honest reflection about an afterlife, why is it that so many monks disagree or have variations in beliefs? Is it interpretations of the suttas or is it something more?
"Watch your heart, observe. Be the observer, be the knower, not the condition" Ajahn Sumedho volume5 - The Wheel Of Truth

The Thinker

Post by The Thinker »

Perhaps I need to express what I do believe so everyone can understand.

Mental rebirth is obtainable by reflection on the Four Truths,and dependent origination, upon which one realises that your conditioning from childhood is changeable if your intentions are changed and you control the conditioned instincts of I and my making that on the whole, have dominated your past life/history. We see our faults and understand we have the ability to disengage with those instinctual reactions (we pause). We practice renunciation and methods to promote peace and understanding in our own lives and others.(The easing of suffering)

This is mental rebirth as I see it.(change is possible)
"Watch your heart, observe. Be the observer, be the knower, not the condition" Ajahn Sumedho volume5 - The Wheel Of Truth

ECS

Post by ECS »

The future , the parent .....is all here as you are here ... why ??? Simply you are the future , you are the parent as you are the desire to connect with them .... you are the reason of they are here ... you are the reason there are in your future ......

As one awaken to Buddhism , one realized he is the emotion , and emotion is constantly travelling in a natural process forgetting all emotion into a state of nothingness in a natural process of Buddhism .... so there is no future , there is no past ... it always just ' NOW".......the present moment is you and you are always alone in your journey , nothing is connected to you ........" the parent" is never belong to you as all existence is same as you travelling in own Buddhism ... nothing is connected to you .....and the desire " to connect" with others is what you are ....you are the desire

Herbie

Post by Herbie »

SarathW wrote:I had this thought today.
The whole world is changing at the same time, may be in a different rate.
So when a person is dying, at the same time preparation for his rebirth also taking place.
So my future parents could be my next door boy or girl.
Perhaps the bird who is making the nest in the tree in my garden!
:thinking:
you can say "Daddy" to me :rofl:
Inspiration is based on the exchange of different linguistic expressions. But inspiration is best knowing how language relates to truth. :smile:

SarathW

Post by SarathW »

Perhaps you have to wait few more years.
Keep on working.

SarathW

Post by SarathW »

They understand a person’s stream of consciousness, unbroken on both sides, established in both this world and the next.

https://voice.suttacentral.net/scv/inde ... earch=DN28

DooDoot

Post by DooDoot »

SarathW wrote:
Mon Jan 28, 2019 2:35 am
They understand a person’s stream of consciousness, unbroken on both sides, established in both this world and the next.
Who understands this? How do they understand this? How is a person's consciousness unbroken & established (patiṭṭhita) in two worlds?

Note: The word "patiṭṭhita" in AN 3.76 defines "bhava". How can there be two bhava at the same time? :shrug:
They understand a person’s stream of consciousness, unbroken on both sides, not established in either this world or the next.

Purisassa ca viññāṇasotaṃ pajānāti, ubhayato abbocchinnaṃ idha loke appatiṭṭhitañca paraloke appatiṭṭhitañca.
If consciousness ceases with Parinibbana (which is not this world or the other world), how can such a "unbroken" consciousness be known that is not established in this world or the other world? :shrug:
There is always an official executioner. If you try to take his place, It is like trying to be a master carpenter and cutting wood. If you try to cut wood like a master carpenter, you will only hurt your hand.

https://soundcloud.com/doodoot/paticcasamuppada
https://soundcloud.com/doodoot/anapanasati

Manopubbangama

Post by Manopubbangama »

SarathW wrote:
Tue Oct 07, 2014 7:58 am
I had this thought today.
The whole world is changing at the same time, may be in a different rate.
So when a person is dying, at the same time preparation for his rebirth also taking place.
So my future parents could be my next door boy or girl.
Perhaps the bird who is making the nest in the tree in my garden!
:thinking:
What I like about this idea, is that it gives another reason to treat everyone kindly. :anjali: