Are my future parents already here?

Exploring Theravāda's connections to other paths - what can we learn from other traditions, religions and philosophies?
Aloka

Re: Are my future parents already here?

Post by Aloka »

Why speculate about future parents?

This is one of my favourite suttas:

SN 1.10 Arañña Sutta: The Wilderness

Thus have I heard. At one time the Lord was staying near Savatthi, at the Jeta Grove in Anathapindika's monastery. Now when night was passing a certain devataa, lighting up the whole Jeta Grove with her surpassing beauty, approached the Lord. Having drawn near and prostrated herself she stood to one side.

Standing there the devata said:

Those living in the forest,
Peaceful and calm, of pure life,
Eating but one meal a day:
How is it they appear so radiant?

The Lord replied:

They sorrow not for what is past,
They have no longing for the future,
The present is sufficient for them:
Hence it is they appear so radiant.
By having longing for the future,
By sorrowing over what is past,
By this fools are withered up
As a cut down tender reed.

http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka ... .irel.html
and here's the late Doris Day to sing 'Que Sera Sera' for you all....

phpBB [video]

:)

SarathW

Post by SarathW »

Here a Sri Lankan monk discuss the possibility of you, re-born to a family of your enemy.
Perhaps your pet dog or cat may have some relation to you in the past.

This talk is in Sinhala language.

http://www.waharaka.com/deshana/listen. ... d=CD088-23
“As the lamp consumes oil, the path realises Nibbana”

chownah

Post by chownah »

pegembara wrote:"And what are the ideas fit for attention that he does not attend to? Whatever ideas such that, when he attends to them, the unarisen fermentation of sensuality does not arise in him, and the arisen fermentation of sensuality is abandoned; the unarisen fermentation of becoming does not arise in him, and arisen fermentation of becoming is abandoned; the unarisen fermentation of ignorance does not arise in him, and the arisen fermentation of ignorance is abandoned. These are the ideas fit for attention that he does not attend to. Through his attending to ideas unfit for attention and through his not attending to ideas fit for attention, both unarisen fermentations arise in him, and arisen fermentations increase.

"This is how he attends inappropriately: 'Was I in the past? Was I not in the past? What was I in the past? How was I in the past? Having been what, what was I in the past? Shall I be in the future? Shall I not be in the future? What shall I be in the future? How shall I be in the future? Having been what, what shall I be in the future?' Or else he is inwardly perplexed about the immediate present: 'Am I? Am I not? What am I? How am I? Where has this being come from? Where is it bound?'

http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka ... .than.html

With metta
:goodpost: Attending to this topic is inappropriate attention....plain and simple. Of course I don't care if people attend to this sort of thing but we should all be aware that what we attend to does have an impact on our future life....this is no joke.....
chownah

SarathW

Post by SarathW »

Agree!
But I am just playing safe here.
I am not an Arahant yet.

chownah

Post by chownah »

SarathW wrote:Agree!
But I am just playing safe here.
I am not an Arahant yet.
Do you think that attending inappropriately is going to help you become an arahant?
And what kind of safety is this inappropriate attending going to provide?...what harm are you "playing safe" with? Seems to me that you are playing unsafe.

The next paragraph from the sutta presented above goes like this:
"As he attends inappropriately in this way, one of six kinds of view arises in him: The view I have a self arises in him as true & established, or the view I have no self... or the view It is precisely by means of self that I perceive self... or the view It is precisely by means of self that I perceive not-self... or the view It is precisely by means of not-self that I perceive self arises in him as true & established, or else he has a view like this: This very self of mine — the knower that is sensitive here & there to the ripening of good & bad actions — is the self of mine that is constant, everlasting, eternal, not subject to change, and will stay just as it is for eternity. This is called a thicket of views, a wilderness of views, a contortion of views, a writhing of views, a fetter of views. Bound by a fetter of views, the uninstructed run-of-the-mill person is not freed from birth, aging, & death, from sorrow, lamentation, pain, distress, & despair. He is not freed, I tell you, from suffering & stress."

Does this sound like inappropriately attending is playing it safe?
chownah

akashdhamma

Post by akashdhamma »

Contemplations such as these are a waste of much valuable time, which is better put into practice.

All the people you have ever met have been a member of your family in some previous birth.

The line of contemplation you are undertaking reinforces self view or continuity of a single entity which in reality is a constantly changing entity - based on conditions of depended co-arising, uniquely different with each moment of arising and passing away.

Also, you never know in what form your next birth shall be unless you've already attained nibanna.

Your only inheritance is your kamma - which follows you life after life.
Tam Kho Panna Bhagavatam :
Evam Kalyanno,
Kitti Saado,
Abhu Gaato

Bhikkhu Pesala

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

akashdhamma wrote:Also, you never know in what form your next birth shall be unless you've already attained nibbāna.
Not even then. An Arahant would know that he/she will not be reborn anywhere. A Non-returner would know that the next birth will be in the Pure Abodes, Once-returners and Stream-winners won't know, other than that they will not be reborn in the lower realms.

Someone who had developed the necessary higher knowledge (abhiññā) could know where the next existence will be.

No all speculation about the next existence is fruitless. On planning to do an evil deed, if one reflects, "If I do this, I will probably be reborn in the lower realms," then one may be able to abstain from it. Similarly, on hesitating to do a noble deed, if one reflects, "If I do this I may be gain a fortunate rebirth, and avoid future misery," then one may be able to do what is difficult to do (e.g. renounce household life).

Idle speculation is, of course, just a distraction and a waste of time.
BlogPāli FontsIn This Very LifeBuddhist ChroniclesSoftware (Upasampadā: 24th June, 1979)

akashdhamma

Post by akashdhamma »

Bhikkhu Pesala wrote:
akashdhamma wrote:Also, you never know in what form your next birth shall be unless you've already attained nibbāna.
Not even then. An Arahant would know that he/she will not be reborn anywhere. A Non-returner would know that the next birth will be in the Pure Abodes, Once-returners and Stream-winners won't know, other than that they will not be reborn in the lower realms.

Someone who had developed the necessary higher knowledge (abhiññā) could know where the next existence will be.

No all speculation about the next existence is fruitless. On planning to do an evil deed, if one reflects, "If I do this, I will probably be reborn in the lower realms," then one may be able to abstain from it. Similarly, on hesitating to do a noble deed, if one reflects, "If I do this I may be gain a fortunate rebirth, and avoid future misery," then one may be able to do what is difficult to do (e.g. renounce household life).

Idle speculation is, of course, just a distraction and a waste of time.
Dear Bhante,

Sorry for not framing my sentence elaborately. I meant that unless someone is a stream enterer, they are not guaranteed to be reborn as a human being.

Thank you for the post. Your literary contributions have been very helpful to me.
Tam Kho Panna Bhagavatam :
Evam Kalyanno,
Kitti Saado,
Abhu Gaato

The Thinker

Post by The Thinker »

I believe the contemplation that everyone around us is related is a worthy one, which holds the essence of a serious loving kindness method.
"Watch your heart, observe. Be the observer, be the knower, not the condition" Ajahn Sumedho volume5 - The Wheel Of Truth

Spiny Norman

Post by Spiny Norman »

SarathW wrote:So my future parents could be my next door boy or girl.
I hope they are good kids! :tongue:

I recall from one of the Tibetan schools I used to be involved in the idea that all beings have been your mother at some point.
Buddha save me from new-agers!

SarathW

Post by SarathW »

I recall from one of the Tibetan schools I used to be involved in the idea that all beings have been your mother at some point.
You find the same in Sutta Pitaka as well.
It extend far wider to say that every person was your mother,father,brother,sister,husband and wife etc. in a previous birth.

ihrjordan

Post by ihrjordan »

Why not strive for greater? An existence absent the womb rather than going around asking/scaring young couples on the topic of if they will be your future ma and pa :tongue:

SarathW

Post by SarathW »

Agree.
But we are still here.
So we have to make the best here until we get there!

chownah

Post by chownah »

SarathW wrote:Agree.
But we are still here.
So we have to make the best here until we get there!
I agree. It seems that the buddha taught that inappropriate attention is not the way to make the best here until we get there!
chownah

SarathW

Post by SarathW »

[codeWhy not strive for greater?][/code]

I see your point but we can't strive for the grater without the foundation.
It is like climbing a ladder or a mountain.
You have to go step by step.
This Sutta may some help.

http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka ... .than.html