Buddhist view on Christianity

Exploring Theravāda's connections to other paths - what can we learn from other traditions, religions and philosophies?
tiltbillings

Re: Buddhist view on Christianity

Post by tiltbillings »

thepea wrote:
SarathW wrote: According to Buddhism there is a time limit for the God.
After completing that time you will have another rebirth.
So it is no point of aiming for that because you may end up with where you start!
:shrug:
Time is thought(past or future) God is presence, you are talking of Brahman are you not?
This carries a different meaning for me.
The idea of a "God is presence" has no bearing on the Buddha's teachings, nor does it really have any meaning.
>> Do you see a man wise [enlightened/ariya] in his own eyes? There is more hope for a fool than for him.<< -- Proverbs 26:12

This being is bound to samsara, kamma is his means for going beyond. -- SN I, 38.

“Of course it is happening inside your head, Harry, but why on earth should that mean that it is not real?” HPatDH p.723
Mkoll

Post by Mkoll »

thepea wrote:
Mkoll wrote: Where is cultivation of all four Brahmaviharas in another religion other than Buddhism?
Some may call this God.
That's not even an answer.
thepea wrote:
Mkoll wrote: What other religion has right speech, in all four of its aspects?
Right Speech "Everyone should be quick to listen, slow to speak and slow to become angry. . .If anyone considers himself religious and yet does not keep a tight rein on his tongue, he deceives himself and his religion is worthless" (James 1:19, 27).
That's a real answer. But it's still not right speech in all four of its aspects.
Namo tassa bhagavato arahato samma sambuddhassa
martinfrank

Post by martinfrank »

Mkoll wrote:
martinfrank wrote:I have strong Faith in Lord Buddha and have Confidence that he showed us the best way but does that necessarily mean that the whole road from here to Nibbana is reserved for Buddhists?
So do you think someone who doesn't follow the Buddha's teachings (and is not a Buddha or Pacekkabuddha) can attain Nibbana?
Dear James

No, I don't think someone who doesn't follow the Buddha's teachings (and is not a Buddha or Paccekabuddha) can attain Nibbana.

I said...
Lord Buddha has shown us the one and only method to attain Nibbana but where is it written in the Discourses that Lord Buddha is the only one to teach how to reach the first four Jhanas? Did you ever read Patanjali's Yoga Sutras?
Lord Buddha said...
“Ekāyano ayaṁ, bhikkhave, maggo sattānaṁ visuddhiyā,
“This is a one-way path, monks, for the purification of beings,

sokapariddavānaṁ samatikkamāya, dukkhadomanassānaṁ atthaṅgamāya,
for the overcoming of grief and lamentation, for the extinction of pain and sorrow,

ñāyassa adhigamāya, Nibbānassa sacchikiriyāya,
for attaining the right way, for the direct realisation of Nibbāna,

yad-idaṁ cattāro satipaṭṭhānā.
that is to say, the four ways of attending to mindfulness.
Translation by the Ven. Anandajoti http://www.ancient-buddhist-texts.net/T ... tthana.pdf

The modern translations say no more "the only way" but like you I believe that it is the only way.

That is why I said...
I have strong Faith in Lord Buddha and have Confidence that he showed us the best way but does that necessarily mean that the whole road from here to Nibbana is reserved for Buddhists?
With "the whole road" I didn't mean the width of the road... I meant the stretch of the road from the beginning to the first four Jhanas.

I agree with you and hope, you'll agree with me.

Martin
The Noble Eightfold Path: Proposed to all, imposed on none.
Mkoll

Post by Mkoll »

martinfrank wrote:With "the whole road" I didn't mean the width of the road... I meant the stretch of the road from the beginning to the first four Jhanas.

I agree with you and hope, you'll agree with me.

Martin
Possibly. It depends on what you mean by "the stretch of the road from the beginning to the first four Jhanas."

But no need to define that; I'll say I more or less agree so we can end on a high note.

:smile:
Spiny Norman

Post by Spiny Norman »

thepea wrote:Some may call this God.
People call all sorts of things "God" these days, so it's gets rather confusing. :tongue:
Buddha save me from new-agers!
thepea

Post by thepea »

tiltbillings wrote: The idea of a "God is presence" has no bearing on the Buddha's teachings, nor does it really have any meaning.
Cultivation of God is Dhamma.
Spiney Norman wrote:People call all sorts of things "God" these days, so it's gets rather confusing. :tongue:
I'm not calling God a thing or things.
Spiny Norman

Post by Spiny Norman »

thepea wrote:
Spiney Norman wrote:People call all sorts of things "God" these days, so it's gets rather confusing. :tongue:
I'm not calling God a thing or things.
All sorts of ideas about "God" if you prefer.
Buddha save me from new-agers!
martinfrank

Post by martinfrank »

tiltbillings wrote:
thepea wrote:
Mkoll wrote: So do you think someone who doesn't follow the Buddha's teachings (and is not a Buddha or Pacekkabuddha) can attain Nibbana?
They might become one with God.
A goal that the Buddha characterized as hīna, MN 97; ii 196.
Inferior to Nibbana...

To those members of Dhamma Wheel who have attained Brahma World and found it conditioned, unsatisfactory and are striving for the better, for Nibbana, I bow. May they attain their goal in this life.

Many, I guess, are like me, struggling not to fall into Hell or another lower world. For us, to be born in Brahma World literally means going to Heaven.

I know that we Buddhists have to share Heaven with Jains, Hindus, Jews, Christians, Muslims etc.... It could get crowded. So what!

Would you mind to sit on a corner of a cloud for a few thousand years?
The Noble Eightfold Path: Proposed to all, imposed on none.
tiltbillings

Post by tiltbillings »

thepea wrote:
tiltbillings wrote: The idea of a "God is presence" has no bearing on the Buddha's teachings, nor does it really have any meaning.
Cultivation of God is Dhamma.
That is your particular, idiosyncratic point of view, which not a thing to do with the Buddha's teachings that have shown.
>> Do you see a man wise [enlightened/ariya] in his own eyes? There is more hope for a fool than for him.<< -- Proverbs 26:12

This being is bound to samsara, kamma is his means for going beyond. -- SN I, 38.

“Of course it is happening inside your head, Harry, but why on earth should that mean that it is not real?” HPatDH p.723
thepea

Post by thepea »

tiltbillings wrote: That is your particular, idiosyncratic point of view, which not a thing to do with the Buddha's teachings that have shown.
This is my Dhamma.
tiltbillings

Post by tiltbillings »

thepea wrote:
tiltbillings wrote: That is your particular, idiosyncratic point of view, which not a thing to do with the Buddha's teachings that have shown.
This is my Dhamma.
Well, at least we have that established. You are talking about thepea-ism, not Buddha-Dhamma.

thepea

Post by thepea »

tiltbillings wrote:Well, at least we have that established. You are talking about thepea-ism, not Buddha-Dhamma.
Do behave.
tiltbillings

Post by tiltbillings »

thepea wrote:
tiltbillings wrote:Well, at least we have that established. You are talking about thepea-ism, not Buddha-Dhamma.
Do behave.
Always do. Just putting things into proper context.

Mkoll

Post by Mkoll »

thepea wrote:
This is my Dhamma.
Be that as it may, when you talk on this forum (or in any public venue for that matter), I think it would be better if you used terms according to their generally accepted meanings. That's what the listeners will understand. And if you're not using the generally accepted meaning or you're using terms in a nuanced way, then you should try to make it clear to people what you're doing.

If you say things that only make sense to you because the meanings you've attached to the words are only known to you, then you can't expect us to make sense of what you're talking about. For example, you say "Cultivation of God is Dhamma". I don't think that makes sense to Christians or Buddhists.
thepea

Post by thepea »

Mkoll wrote: If you say things that only make sense to you because the meanings you've attached to the words are only known to you, then you can't expect us to make sense of what you're talking about. For example, you say "Cultivation of God is Dhamma". I don't think that makes sense to Christians or Buddhists.
Well I can't expect you to all become loyal followers of thepea-ism overnight. You need to shave your head, dawn a bathrobe and head to your local airport, meet with the others, chant and do canvasing and collections before I can instill this greater wisdom upon you. Send me a PM and I'll fix you up with a convenient local chapter.