Buddhist view on Christianity

Exploring Theravāda's connections to other paths - what can we learn from other traditions, religions and philosophies?
Sam Vara

Re: Buddhist view on Christianity

Post by Sam Vara » Thu Apr 18, 2019 5:51 pm

binocular wrote:
Thu Apr 18, 2019 5:35 pm
Sam Vara wrote:
Thu Apr 18, 2019 12:38 pm
The other solution is simply to not engage with issues that have no bearing upon one.
Sure, there are so many things about which one doesn't have to have an opinion. But some do have bearing on one.
This is one where I can afford to not take up (upadana) a position. What the "essence" of Christianity is. What makes a true Muslim. Whether Athena or Hera has more power. that way lies peace and freedom.
Well, historically, the Catholics and the Protestants tried many things, up to and including war. Didn't help ...
Well, quite. After the siege of Magdeburg, a bit of internet fisking and eye-rolling emojis are not going to settle it, are they?
Reading this, suddenly, it occurs to me how important it is to have a calm mind, for only in a calm mind can one contemplate the above without becoming agitated (while many linguists, philosophers etc. seem to perpetually be in an agitated state of mind, that's how they can say and do the things they do).

How different a thought feels, how different the consequences of its presence, depending on the state of one's mind. Hence, make your mind like earth, make your mind like water, make your mind like fire, make your mind like wind.
:thumbsup: Perfect. :anjali:

DooDoot

Post by DooDoot » Thu Apr 18, 2019 9:06 pm

Sam Vara wrote:
Thu Apr 18, 2019 12:58 pm
I think atheism is relevant, in that you mentioned a reference point, and I how else are reference points to be judged when there is no referent?
The referent is not "God". The referent is the preacher of the ideology, be it Moses, Isaiah or Jesus. That is why they are called"Law of Moses" or "Judaism" (today) or "Christianity", namely, the doctrine of the Jews (which includes "Zionism", per the Bible) or the doctrine of Christ (Jesus). Each is a man-made or mind-made doctrine. The core essence of each doctrine is not "god" but the behaviours or modes of living ("path"; "way") prescribed. That is why each of the above religions has a different conception of "god" because each teacher prescribes a different mode of conduct. Judaism has primarily a tribal god ordaining the tribal supremacy of the Jewish tribe, similar to how Brahmanism ordained the caste supremacy of the Brahmans; plus many tribal laws applicable to the tribe to maintain the survival of the tribe; which dictates the behaviours of these tribal people. Where as Christianity has "God The Father", which emphasises the everlasting & unconditional forgiving love of this god & also a heavenly world (beyond this material world) for those who exchange love with this God the Father.
Sam Vara wrote:
Thu Apr 18, 2019 12:58 pm
If you say so! I find I have at present very little need to distinguish people who are practising Buddhists from people who are not, but thanks for sharing your view on this.
Either do I. I find I have at present very little need to distinguish people who are practising Buddhists from people who are not. But i think it is important to clearly define what Buddhist practise is. The Buddha clearly defined the Noble Eightfold Path as the path of practise or "the way". Similarly, the Sermon on the Mount, for example, defines the "way" of Jesus.
Sam Vara wrote:
Thu Apr 18, 2019 5:51 pm
that way lies peace and freedom.
To me, the above is irrelevant. Clearly respecting other religions is actually the way to peace & freedom. Where as everything you have posted, so far, to diminish essence or "heartwood" of other religions & Buddhism, is also an opinion that can be attached to. To say "Christianity has no essence" is an opinion. Your point above appear seriously non-sequitur to me. You appear to be arguing that because the Buddha defined a clear systemetic path that the Buddha was attached; and that because you are preaching a "vibhava" type of "anarchy" or "lawlessness" that you are non-attached.
There is always an official executioner. If you try to take his place, It is like trying to be a master carpenter and cutting wood. If you try to cut wood like a master carpenter, you will only hurt your hand.

https://soundcloud.com/doodoot/paticcasamuppada
https://soundcloud.com/doodoot/anapanasati

Sam Vara

Post by Sam Vara » Thu Apr 18, 2019 9:43 pm

DooDoot wrote:
Thu Apr 18, 2019 9:06 pm
Sam Vara wrote:
Thu Apr 18, 2019 5:51 pm
that way lies peace and freedom.
To me, the above is irrelevant. Clearly respecting other religions is actually the way to peace & freedom. Where as everything you have posted, so far, to diminish essence or "heartwood" of other religions & Buddhism, is also an opinion that can be attached to. To say "Christianity has no essence" is an opinion. Your point above appear seriously non-sequitur to me. You appear to be arguing that because the Buddha defined a clear systemetic path that the Buddha was attached; and that because you are preaching a "vibhava" type of "anarchy" or "lawlessness" that you are non-attached.
Again, thanks for your opinions on this.

You are right to say that my points appear non-sequitur to you; having apparently misunderstood a very high proportion of them, it's no wonder they don't follow. I didn't argue that the Buddha defined a clear systematic path, nor that this means that he was attached. I'm not preaching at all. I've not mentioned vibhava, nor any type of anarchy or lawlessness, nor claimed to be non-attached. That's nought out of six, but don't think I'm not still grateful for your intervention, even if I can't endorse your interpretation.

Sabbe_Dhamma_Anatta

Post by Sabbe_Dhamma_Anatta » Sat Apr 20, 2019 5:42 pm

I think it's not off topic, much.
A story waiting to be told, perhaps...
http://burmadhamma.blogspot.com/2013/11 ... g.html?m=1

Chan Mya Myaing Monastery in Mingaladon, Yangon, has a curious lead sponsor engraved in stone outside of their Sima Hall. A story waiting to be told, perhaps...
🙏🏻🙏🏻🙏🏻
🅢🅐🅑🅑🅔 🅓🅗🅐🅜🅜🅐 🅐🅝🅐🅣🅣🅐
  • "the one thing all the mistaken views have in common is the assump­tion that the self exists" ~ DN1
  • "It is an entirely and perfectly foolish idea" ~ MN22
  • The No-self doctrine is found only in the teaching of the Buddha.
  • No-self (anatta) means that there is no permanent, unchanging entity in anything animate or inanimate. ~ SN22.59

Virgo

Post by Virgo » Sun Apr 21, 2019 2:02 am

:lol:

Kevin
The Hunger Site

Sam Vara

Post by Sam Vara » Sun Apr 21, 2019 3:50 am

Having just got up in before dawn so that I can accompany my wife to the early Easter mass, this particular Buddhist's view of Christianity is currently rather gloomy. :zzz: :evil:

Anyway, Happy Easter everyone! :heart: