"Buddhism 3.0" reform movement in Japan

Exploring Theravāda's connections to other paths - what can we learn from other traditions, religions and philosophies?
Sokehi

"Buddhism 3.0" reform movement in Japan

Post by Sokehi » Fri Aug 15, 2014 9:18 am

http://buddhistchannel.tv/index.php?id= ... -3M-GNNjmc

"A pair of Zen priests have been causing a stir with their campaign to spread a new interpretation of Buddhism in Japan that combines practices from separate branches of the ancient religion."

:smile:
Get the wanting out of waiting

What does womanhood matter at all, when the mind is concentrated well, when knowledge flows on steadily as one sees correctly into Dhamma. One to whom it might occur, ‘I am a woman’ or ‘I am a man’ or ‘I’m anything at all’ is fit for Mara to address. – SN 5.2

If they take what's yours, tell yourself that you're making it a gift.
Otherwise there will be no end to the animosity. - Ajahn Fuang Jotiko

https://www.youtube.com/user/Repeataarrr

Mkoll

Re: "Buddhism 3.0" reform movement in Japan

Post by Mkoll » Fri Aug 15, 2014 9:40 am

From the article:
According to them, Mahayana Buddhism as practiced in Japan, after arriving in the country via China and the Korean Peninsula, is “Buddhism 1.0.”
I guess that makes Theravada "Buddhism 0.5" or something. :lol:
Namo tassa bhagavato arahato samma sambuddhassa

Sokehi

Post by Sokehi » Fri Aug 15, 2014 9:50 am

Mkoll wrote:From the article:
According to them, Mahayana Buddhism as practiced in Japan, after arriving in the country via China and the Korean Peninsula, is “Buddhism 1.0.”
To me personally it's "Buddhism 007" :jumping:

What does womanhood matter at all, when the mind is concentrated well, when knowledge flows on steadily as one sees correctly into Dhamma. One to whom it might occur, ‘I am a woman’ or ‘I am a man’ or ‘I’m anything at all’ is fit for Mara to address. – SN 5.2

Mkoll

Post by Mkoll » Fri Aug 15, 2014 9:58 am

Sokehi wrote:
Mkoll wrote:From the article:
To me personally it's "Buddhism 007" :jumping:
License to Enlighten.

Samatha not Stimulation.

Buddhism, "___" Buddhism. (can't think of one here)

Sokehi

Post by Sokehi » Fri Aug 15, 2014 10:18 am

"From India with Metta"
"You only live yet"
"Live and let live"
"Die every Day"
"Wat Royale"

... :spy:

Mkoll

Post by Mkoll » Fri Aug 15, 2014 12:47 pm

Dr. Buddha
Samsara is Forever
The Mara Who Loved Me
OctoPath
A View to a Wrong
The World is Not Enough (hey this one works as it is)

:guns:

daverupa

Post by daverupa » Fri Aug 15, 2014 1:46 pm

OctoPath

:clap:

---

I found this interesting:
The very foundation of Buddhism shared by all schools of the religion is to “return to Buddha meditating under the Bodhi tree,” according to Fujita and Yamashita.
I don't know... part of the time he was there he wasn't the Buddha. This image appears to me to be a Mahayana preference.

In order to blend Theravada into this effort, I think they will want to consider imagery akin to quiet groups of monks and nuns listening to the Dhamma and practicing in seclusion. Arahantship thus becomes the target, not Buddha-emulation, but I don't know what this does to Zen soteriology.

To a certain extent, we can see some damage to Dhamma soteriology with some modern mindfulness approaches in the West which lack integration with e.g. Sila, Panna, etc., and this manifests in any number of ways. So, I am very curious to see what allows something being integrated with Theravada to remain able to be called Mahayana. Those stews are using different vegetables...

(...or, to keep the computer symbolism, they are using different coding languages, there is syntax conflict...)
  • "And how is it, bhikkhus, that by protecting oneself one protects others? By the pursuit, development, and cultivation of the four establishments of mindfulness. It is in such a way that by protecting oneself one protects others.

"And how is it, bhikkhus, that by protecting others one protects oneself? By patience, harmlessness, goodwill, and sympathy. It is in such a way that by protecting others one protects oneself.

- Sedaka Sutta [SN 47.19]

meindzai

Post by meindzai » Fri Aug 15, 2014 5:43 pm

Buddhism (as a movement) tends to respond to the culture it is in. So it can be hard to judge. Zen was (in my view) originally a response to an overly academic mahayana Buddhist epidemic. (Basically "Buddhism" had degraded to bickering about Sutras). I think that these days, people are so uninformed about Buddhism, (Mahayana and Theravada) that this sort of practice almost has no relevance. So another "response" may be called for.

However, I read this sentence several times and I do not understand it:
“You cannot deepen your Zen meditation unless you raise the level of bodily movements you do unintentionally in everyday life,” Fujita said.

-Dave K

Viscid

Post by Viscid » Fri Aug 15, 2014 7:22 pm

Fujita and Yamashita call Theravada Buddhism, which became widely accepted in Japan in the late 1990s, “Buddhism 2.0.” They say it offers specific skills to ease heartache.

The campaign by the two priests is aimed at fusing the Japanese style of Buddhism and Theravada Buddhism into a “Version 3.0? of the religion, in which mediation practices are not limited to those set out under Zen Buddhism.
A synthesis of Theravada and Zen sounds exciting, actually-- and probably inevitable. Zen could use Theravada's practicality and common sense, and Theravada could use Zen's simplicity and creatitivtiy. I can see things like Yoga becoming incorporated into Theravadin practices (ala Bhante Rahula) also.. hopefully without making the practice shallow.

Edit:

Issho Fujita seems like an excellent teacher:

Last edited by Viscid on Fri Aug 15, 2014 7:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"What holds attention determines action." - William James

Viscid

Post by Viscid » Fri Aug 15, 2014 7:29 pm

meindzai wrote:However, I read this sentence several times and I do not understand it:
“You cannot deepen your Zen meditation unless you raise the level of bodily movements you do unintentionally in everyday life,” Fujita said.

-Dave K
Was wondering about that myself. It's probably badly translated. I think he's referring to the range of movements we regularly perform. We are in the habit of performing the same gestures and postures over and over. I've found with yoga, you become aware of how conditioned your physical movements have become-- and introducing new postures is a means of breaking that conditioning, providing greater freedom of movement (and consequently action.) The conditioning of posture and movement parallels other psychological habits.

Lazy_eye

Post by Lazy_eye » Fri Aug 15, 2014 7:34 pm

Viscid wrote:
Fujita and Yamashita call Theravada Buddhism, which became widely accepted in Japan in the late 1990s, “Buddhism 2.0.” They say it offers specific skills to ease heartache.

The campaign by the two priests is aimed at fusing the Japanese style of Buddhism and Theravada Buddhism into a “Version 3.0? of the religion, in which mediation practices are not limited to those set out under Zen Buddhism.
A synthesis of Theravada and Zen sounds exciting, actually-- and probably inevitable. Zen could use Theravada's practicality and common sense, and Theravada could use Zen's simplicity and creatitivtiy. I can see things like Yoga becoming incorporated into Theravadin practices (ala Bhante Rahula) also.. hopefully without making the practice shallow.
Agreed. It sounds promising to me as well.

Sokehi

Post by Sokehi » Sat Aug 16, 2014 7:28 pm

Viscid wrote:
meindzai wrote:However, I read this sentence several times and I do not understand it:

-Dave K
Was wondering about that myself. It's probably badly translated. I think he's referring to the range of movements we regularly perform. We are in the habit of performing the same gestures and postures over and over. I've found with yoga, you become aware of how conditioned your physical movements have become-- and introducing new postures is a means of breaking that conditioning, providing greater freedom of movement (and consequently action.) The conditioning of posture and movement parallels other psychological habits.
I thought maye the word "awareness" could be missing? like "...unless you raise the level of awareness..."?

Viscid

Post by Viscid » Sat Aug 16, 2014 11:31 pm

Sokehi wrote:I thought maye the word "awareness" could be missing? like "...unless you raise the level of awareness..."?
Yeah, that makes sense, developing a greater awareness of one's bodily movements ala vipassana. Though he emphasizes the awareness of the unintentionality of those movements..

m0rl0ck

Post by m0rl0ck » Sun Aug 17, 2014 1:35 am

Viscid wrote: Zen could use Theravada's practicality and common sense, and Theravada could use Zen's simplicity and creatitivtiy.
In my experience zen has simplicity, practicality and common sense as its practiced. Different people respond to different things tho and what seems obvious and simple to some seems complex and unreachable to others. But yeah i agree, different flavors of buddhism pooling their knowledge, while it might not sit well with die hard sectarians, could be really beneficial. Thai forest theravadan buddhism and zen/chan have many commonalities but also some differences that could be mutally explored to benefit imo.

Tho actually come to think of it different people may need different medicine, so choice should be preserved too.
“The truth knocks on the door and you say, "Go away, I'm looking for the truth," and so it goes away. Puzzling.” ― Robert M. Pirsig

phil

Post by phil » Sun Aug 17, 2014 4:57 am

Sokehi wrote:http://buddhistchannel.tv/index.php?id= ... -3M-GNNjmc

"A pair of Zen priests have been causing a stir with their campaign to spread a new interpretation of Buddhism in Japan that combines practices from separate branches of the ancient religion."

:smile:
Hi there

I have lived here for twenty years and in that time have never heard anything about stirs related to Buddhism.

Considering that 5% (maybe a little bit more or less) of Japanese follow a (relatively) new materialism-driven personality cult that is consistently and mistakenly referred to in the global media as Buddhist (Soka Gakkai, they sell themselves as Buddhist quite successfully) and considering that most Buddhist "monks" have families and drive around in luxury cars I wouldn't pay too much attention to any new movements related to Buddhism in Japan. Buddhism is a lost cause here and young people's only interest in Buddhism (with a few rare exceptions) is to go to periodical exhibitions featuring statues of really beautiful bodhisattvas. I would say that Japan (as much as I love it) is the first so-called Buddhist nation to fall right off the train. (On a positive note, it is also one of the only countries in the world where evangelical Christianity hasn't made major inroads, so far at least. :thumbsup: )
Kammalakkhano , bhikkhave, bālo, kammalakkhano pandito, apadānasobhanī paññāti
(The fool is characterized by his/her actions/the wise one is characterized by his/her actions/Wisdom shines forth in behaviour.)
(AN 3.2 Lakkhana Sutta)