How low can you go?

Exploring Theravāda's connections to other paths - what can we learn from other traditions, religions and philosophies?
Viscid

Re: How low can you go?

Post by Viscid » Tue Jul 29, 2014 4:15 am

vesak2014 wrote:What happen if something is experiencing absolute zero temperature? It is totally "frozen". And what is frozen a metaphor for? I believe people know.
I didn't know it was a metaphor, I thought it was just a pretty good Disney movie.

"What holds attention determines action." - William James

tiltbillings

Post by tiltbillings » Tue Jul 29, 2014 5:50 am

vesak2014 wrote:
tiltbillings wrote:Given the games you have played in earlier threads, what a boring surprise.
Be patient, keep the ball rolling, and you will elicit more. It's not a game, instead It's an approach to keep the discussion going by stimulating thinking rather than merely listening.
Not a game?
        • If it looks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, we have at least to
          consider the possibility that we have a small aquatic bird of the
          family anatidae on our hands
          . -- Douglas Adams
So far you have, in various threads, suggested that you know more than us peons. Maybe, but I have yet to see any evidence of much coming from you. I am certainly not, in this thread, dancing for you, or keeping a ball rolling or some such silliness. If you have something to say that is of interest or value, say it. Let us then have a discussion about that, rather than this elliptical, self aggrandizing approach you are taking here, which makes it all about you and how you are trying to get us to think. It is kind of making you look bad.
>> Do you see a man wise [enlightened/ariya] in his own eyes? There is more hope for a fool than for him.<< -- Proverbs 26:12

This being is bound to samsara, kamma is his means for going beyond. -- SN I, 38.

“Of course it is happening inside your head, Harry, but why on earth should that mean that it is not real?” HPatDH p.723

Aloka

Post by Aloka » Tue Jul 29, 2014 6:19 am

vesak2014 wrote: "Good luck to you, sir." ~ Trungpa
This one might be more appropriate for your own contemplation, vesak2014:

"Nevertheless, if a person is skilled enough - not necessarily intelligent - but skilled enough and patient enough to sift through his own rubbish and study it thoroughly, then he will be able to use it"

(from P.25 of 'Meditation in Action' by Chogyam Trungpa)

atipattoh

Post by atipattoh » Tue Jul 29, 2014 6:46 am

Last edited by atipattoh on Mon Aug 04, 2014 4:42 am, edited 2 times in total.

vesak2014

Post by vesak2014 » Tue Jul 29, 2014 3:59 pm

Aloka wrote:
vesak2014 wrote: "Good luck to you, sir." ~ Trungpa
This one might be more appropriate for your own contemplation, vesak2014:

"Nevertheless, if a person is skilled enough - not necessarily intelligent - but skilled enough and patient enough to sift through his own rubbish and study it thoroughly, then he will be able to use it"

(from P.25 of 'Meditation in Action' by Chogyam Trungpa)
From skimming through your posts I found that you are a woman. SInce I have more respect to women (just like most men, I guess) I'd say more, otherwise I wouldn't care this much and I'd just reply with Trungpa's good luck remark along with the reason I find from your posts.

You seem to be a fan of Ajahn Amaro since you often recommend people to listen to Ajahn Amaro dhamma talks. Why don't you post a quality response (such like one Bhikkhu Pesala did earlier) by telling us Ajahn Amaro's take on nibbana and his instructions. From there I'll point out "how low he goes" and then you'll see who is more appropriate to contemplate the Trungpa's quote (and of course I hope in this case I'm wrong.)
What Trungpa means by "skilled enough and patient enough to sift through his own rubbish and study it thoroughly" is that one needs to apply dhamma-vicaya instead of merely listening (dhamma talks?)

tiltbillings

Post by tiltbillings » Tue Jul 29, 2014 4:11 pm

vesak2014 wrote: . . .
Still playing games, expecting others to jump through hoops, and you have yet to deliver anything of substance.
>> Do you see a man wise [enlightened/ariya] in his own eyes? There is more hope for a fool than for him.<< -- Proverbs 26:12

This being is bound to samsara, kamma is his means for going beyond. -- SN I, 38.

“Of course it is happening inside your head, Harry, but why on earth should that mean that it is not real?” HPatDH p.723

vesak2014

Post by vesak2014 » Tue Jul 29, 2014 4:20 pm

tiltbillings wrote:
Still playing games, expecting others to jump through hoops, and you have yet to deliver anything of substance.
You failed to see anything of substance. Don't blame on me.

tiltbillings

Post by tiltbillings » Tue Jul 29, 2014 4:27 pm

vesak2014 wrote: You failed to see anything of substance.
Not that you have shown. This is simply more game playing on your part.

As I said, if you actually have something of value, of interest, to say, drop the games and say it. Right now it is just your jejune game playing, and there is no one here but you to blame for that. Let us hear what you think is so important. Instead of jerking people around, put it out here for all to see, to engage. Up to this point all you have managed to do is be annoying. Your choice.

Aloka

Post by Aloka » Tue Jul 29, 2014 5:18 pm

vesak2014 wrote: From skimming through your posts I found that you are a woman. SInce I have more respect to women (just like most men, I guess) I'd say more, otherwise I wouldn't care this much and I'd just reply with Trungpa's good luck remark along with the reason I find from your posts.
Woman or man is irrelevant, Nibanna doesn't have a gender.
vesak2014 wrote:You seem to be a fan of Ajahn Amaro since you often recommend people to listen to Ajahn Amaro dhamma talks. Why don't you post a quality response (such like one Bhikkhu Pesala did earlier) by telling us Ajahn Amaro's take on nibbana and his instructions.
You might learn something by reading "The Island - an Anthology of the Buddha's Teachings on Nibanna'' by Ajahn Amaro & Ajahn Pasanno

http://forestsanghapublications.org/vie ... 10&ref=deb
vesak2014 wrote:From there I'll point out "how low he goes"
Oh gosh, will this be a special 'pointing out' instruction from you, master ? I probably won't wait up to receive it, thanks.

:zzz:

TheNoBSBuddhist

Post by TheNoBSBuddhist » Tue Jul 29, 2014 8:22 pm

vesak2014 wrote:
tiltbillings wrote:
You failed to see anything of substance. Don't blame on me.
In ma homeland, y'id be called a wallaper.... now either talk sense or weesht!
:namaste:

You will not be punished FOR your 'emotions'; you will be punished BY your 'emotions'.

Pay attention, simplify, and (Meditation instruction in a nutshell) "Mind - the Gap."
‘Absit invidia verbo’ - may ill-will be absent from the word. And mindful of that, if I don't respond, this may be why....