Good Buddhist sangha /meet up/ etc. in Los Angeles?

Exploring Theravāda's connections to other paths. What can we learn from other traditions, religions and philosophies?
User avatar
tiltbillings
Posts: 23043
Joined: Wed Dec 31, 2008 9:25 am

Re: Good Buddhist sangha /meet up/ etc. in Los Angeles?

Post by tiltbillings » Mon Jul 14, 2014 4:47 pm

Instead of complaining, why don't you guys write to them and ask them about it.
>> Do you see a man wise [enlightened/ariya] in his own eyes? There is more hope for a fool than for him.<< -- Proverbs 26:12

This being is bound to samsara, kamma is his means for going beyond. -- SN I, 38.

“Of course it is happening inside your head, Harry, but why on earth should that mean that it is not real?” HPatDH p.723

nobody12345
Posts: 196
Joined: Mon Nov 22, 2010 4:05 am

Re: Good Buddhist sangha /meet up/ etc. in Los Angeles?

Post by nobody12345 » Mon Jul 14, 2014 4:52 pm

culaavuso wrote:
nobody12345 wrote: And what you mean by saying 'I understand that someone from Wat Metta can pick you up in Valley Center if you make arrangements in advance'?
You mean, I cannot drive straight to the monastery?
Is that has to do with that area has no signal for GPS service?
You can drive straight to the monastery. There is parking available. Be sure to use the directions on the monastery website, since some GPS units and online map services will provide bad directions. The roads are windy, narrow, and have steep grades in places. It can be difficult to spot the turns when driving there the first time, especially if it's before sunrise as would be necessary for the morning services.

If you choose to take public transport, then you will only get as far as Valley Center. In this case it may be desirable to make arrangements in advance so a car can take you to the monastery. Because of the remote location, taxi services are not an ideal option.
Thank you so much for your detailed answer!
Does Google Map GPS (for smart phone) service work in that area?
That is the one I use.
And if that doesn't work, it sounds like I have to ask someone to pick me up at Valley Center since I'm terrible at finding road with a regular map.
Do you know who should I contact for arranging that 'pick up' from Valley Center?
Thanks!

User avatar
Anagarika
Posts: 915
Joined: Thu Sep 22, 2011 11:25 pm

Re: Good Buddhist sangha /meet up/ etc. in Los Angeles?

Post by Anagarika » Mon Jul 14, 2014 5:10 pm

nobody12345 wrote:
culaavuso wrote:
nobody12345 wrote: And what you mean by saying 'I understand that someone from Wat Metta can pick you up in Valley Center if you make arrangements in advance'?
You mean, I cannot drive straight to the monastery?
Is that has to do with that area has no signal for GPS service?
You can drive straight to the monastery. There is parking available. Be sure to use the directions on the monastery website, since some GPS units and online map services will provide bad directions. The roads are windy, narrow, and have steep grades in places. It can be difficult to spot the turns when driving there the first time, especially if it's before sunrise as would be necessary for the morning services.

If you choose to take public transport, then you will only get as far as Valley Center. In this case it may be desirable to make arrangements in advance so a car can take you to the monastery. Because of the remote location, taxi services are not an ideal option.
Thank you so much for your detailed answer!
Does Google Map GPS (for smart phone) service work in that area?
That is the one I use.
And if that doesn't work, it sounds like I have to ask someone to pick me up at Valley Center since I'm terrible at finding road with a regular map.
Do you know who should I contact for arranging that 'pick up' from Valley Center?
Thanks!
Yes, your smart phone GPS should work. Sorry to detail the train route; I read into your post that this might work best for you. Yes, driving is easy, and Wat Metta is not that difficult to find with a GPS. It's within an avocado grove, but just up the road from a high school and off of a residential street. The main road that leads into the Wat property is a bit long and narrow, and as the road doesn't get a lot of traffic, cars and trucks tend to take up the whole road...do be ready to get to your side when another car approaches. There's room, but be aware of this as you drive in for the first time. After a trip or two into Wat Metta, it's easy.

If you need a pick up, go to the website for instructions. http://www.watmetta.org/publicTransport.html

nobody12345
Posts: 196
Joined: Mon Nov 22, 2010 4:05 am

Re: Good Buddhist sangha /meet up/ etc. in Los Angeles?

Post by nobody12345 » Mon Jul 14, 2014 5:42 pm

Anagarika wrote: Yes, your smart phone GPS should work. Sorry to detail the train route; I read into your post that this might work best for you. Yes, driving is easy, and Wat Metta is not that difficult to find with a GPS. It's within an avocado grove, but just up the road from a high school and off of a residential street. The main road that leads into the Wat property is a bit long and narrow, and as the road doesn't get a lot of traffic, cars and trucks tend to take up the whole road...do be ready to get to your side when another car approaches. There's room, but be aware of this as you drive in for the first time. After a trip or two into Wat Metta, it's easy.

If you need a pick up, go to the website for instructions. http://www.watmetta.org/publicTransport.html
Thank you so much for all the explanation!
I'll go with my smart phone, using Google Map GPS then!
I think it's about time to visit him since I do have a meditation question that I really want to know.

User avatar
Anagarika
Posts: 915
Joined: Thu Sep 22, 2011 11:25 pm

Re: Good Buddhist sangha /meet up/ etc. in Los Angeles?

Post by Anagarika » Mon Jul 14, 2014 5:52 pm

nobody12345 wrote:
Anagarika wrote: Yes, your smart phone GPS should work. Sorry to detail the train route; I read into your post that this might work best for you. Yes, driving is easy, and Wat Metta is not that difficult to find with a GPS. It's within an avocado grove, but just up the road from a high school and off of a residential street. The main road that leads into the Wat property is a bit long and narrow, and as the road doesn't get a lot of traffic, cars and trucks tend to take up the whole road...do be ready to get to your side when another car approaches. There's room, but be aware of this as you drive in for the first time. After a trip or two into Wat Metta, it's easy.

If you need a pick up, go to the website for instructions. http://www.watmetta.org/publicTransport.html
Thank you so much for all the explanation!
I'll go with my smart phone, using Google Map GPS then!
I think it's about time to visit him since I do have a meditation question that I really want to know.
Bring with you written directions. I have a less than fancy smart phone and the GPS works fine in Valley Center, but bring along written instructions, too, just in case. My advice is to get there during the day, as night driving in the area is trickier of you don't know the way. As I said, after a trip or two there, it will be easy, but the first go needs the GPS/map, daylight and patience.

nobody12345
Posts: 196
Joined: Mon Nov 22, 2010 4:05 am

Re: Good Buddhist sangha /meet up/ etc. in Los Angeles?

Post by nobody12345 » Mon Jul 14, 2014 6:00 pm

Anagarika wrote:
nobody12345 wrote:
Anagarika wrote: Yes, your smart phone GPS should work. Sorry to detail the train route; I read into your post that this might work best for you. Yes, driving is easy, and Wat Metta is not that difficult to find with a GPS. It's within an avocado grove, but just up the road from a high school and off of a residential street. The main road that leads into the Wat property is a bit long and narrow, and as the road doesn't get a lot of traffic, cars and trucks tend to take up the whole road...do be ready to get to your side when another car approaches. There's room, but be aware of this as you drive in for the first time. After a trip or two into Wat Metta, it's easy.

If you need a pick up, go to the website for instructions. http://www.watmetta.org/publicTransport.html
Thank you so much for all the explanation!
I'll go with my smart phone, using Google Map GPS then!
I think it's about time to visit him since I do have a meditation question that I really want to know.
Bring with you written directions. I have a less than fancy smart phone and the GPS works fine in Valley Center, but bring along written instructions, too, just in case. My advice is to get there during the day, as night driving in the area is trickier of you don't know the way. As I said, after a trip or two there, it will be easy, but the first go needs the GPS/map, daylight and patience.

nobody12345
Posts: 196
Joined: Mon Nov 22, 2010 4:05 am

Re: Good Buddhist sangha /meet up/ etc. in Los Angeles?

Post by nobody12345 » Mon Jul 14, 2014 6:01 pm

Anagarika wrote: Bring with you written directions. I have a less than fancy smart phone and the GPS works fine in Valley Center, but bring along written instructions, too, just in case. My advice is to get there during the day, as night driving in the area is trickier of you don't know the way. As I said, after a trip or two there, it will be easy, but the first go needs the GPS/map, daylight and patience.
Thank you so much for all your help!
:twothumbsup:

nobody12345
Posts: 196
Joined: Mon Nov 22, 2010 4:05 am

Re: Good Buddhist sangha /meet up/ etc. in Los Angeles?

Post by nobody12345 » Wed Jul 16, 2014 6:03 pm

Since I decided to visit Metta Forest, I contacted Ven. Thannissaro since I have a burning question regarding meditation for some time.
And to my utter joy, he agreed to see me for my question.
I explained him that I have been meditating for 4 years but have a serious issue of meditation and would like to ask questions about it.
I am really glad and grateful that he would answer my question since I have a tremendous respect for him and I consider him as one of the most authoritative noble ones on meditation.
I don't have much time so I'll just drive down there, meditate for few hours and then meet Ven. Thannissaro and then immediately drive back to Los Angeles.
I am increasing the length of my daily meditation session and spending most of extra time to listen to Dhamma talk to prepare myself for this visit.
I feel like I'm a filthy sinner who could defile the holy ground of Metta Forest so in order to be worthy to step on the ground, I'm preparing myself. :)
Thank you for all your information!!

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 39 guests