Anatta - a hindrance?

Exploring Theravāda's connections to other paths - what can we learn from other traditions, religions and philosophies?
Planetary

Re: Anatta - a hindrance?

Post by Planetary »

I don't know how to delete a post. Please delete
Last edited by Planetary on Sun Mar 11, 2018 2:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
auto

Re: Anatta - a hindrance?

Post by auto »

daverupa wrote: Sat Jun 07, 2014 1:34 pm
bharadwaja wrote:atta-realization (nibbana)
Now this is really unwarranted; an amazing misunderstanding.

---
AN 3.32 wrote:“Idhānanda, bhikkhuno evaṃ hoti: ‘etaṃ santaṃ etaṃ paṇītaṃ yadidaṃ sabba­saṅ­khā­ra­sama­tho sabbū­padhipa­ṭi­nissaggo taṇhākkhayo virāgo nirodho nibbānan’ti. Evaṃ kho, ānanda, siyā bhikkhuno tathārūpo samādhipa­ṭi­lābho yathā imasmiñca saviññāṇake kāye ahaṅkā­ra­ma­maṅkā­ra­mā­nānu­sayā nāssu, bahiddhā ca sabbanimittesu ahaṅkā­ra­ma­maṅkā­ra­mā­nānu­sayā nāssu; yañca cetovimuttiṃ paññāvimuttiṃ upasampajja viharato ahaṅkā­ra­ma­maṅkā­ra­mā­nānu­sayā na honti tañca cetovimuttiṃ paññāvimuttiṃ upasampajja vihareyyāti.

Here, Ānanda, a bhikkhu thinks thus: ‘This is peaceful, this is sublime, that is, the stilling of all activities, the relinquishing of all acquisitions, the destruction of craving, dispassion, cessation, nibbāna.’ In this way, Ānanda, a bhikkhu could obtain such a state of concentration that he would have no I-making, mine-making, and underlying tendency to conceit in regard to this conscious body; he would have no I-making, mine-making, and underlying tendency to conceit in regard to all external objects; and he would enter and dwell in that liberation of mind, liberation by wisdom, through which there is no more I-making, mine-making, and underlying tendency to conceit for one who enters and dwells in it.
It got to be the standard quote to say there is no self.

But self realization is realized from a body, by cultivation. In order to get into body then the gaze needs return to sense organ, the simple I-making is in external objects, you need return the senses inwards.

That quote is a intro to meditate body not the external objects, external objects are empty, there is a layer between external objects and first person view when you look out of the senses. Externalist percieves world differently and that quote is for those.