Brian Ruhe and Representation

Exploring Theravāda's connections to other paths - what can we learn from other traditions, religions and philosophies?
DNS
Site Admin

Re: Brian Ruhe and Representation

Post by DNS »

Bhante Dhammika has just written a blog article regarding Brian Ruhe and his "geo-political" views:

The Buddha, Hitler and Brian Ruhe
Maitri

Post by Maitri »

Hello Everyone,

I was just looking over the forum and found this post again. I believe that it had disappeared for some time and wasn't actively searching for it, so I apologize for "abandoning" this topic.

Mr. Ruhe is a Nazi sympathizer, so I'm not even going to address his positions or videos with a comment. It's shameful that he may have tied the Dhamma and his political conspiracies together in some people's minds.

However, I do think that some of the other points raised here regarding the representation of Theravada by Mahayana is valid. Mahayana and Vajrayana positions dominate Buddhist institutions in the West- there are magazines, universities, and many publications from lineages and schools using these perspectives. Theravada is underrepresented in mainstream Western Buddhism and often incorrectly portrayed. Some of these narratives on Theravada have been shaped intentionally, but without fully understanding the consequences: http://www.insightmeditationcenter.org/ ... theravada/

I do think that it's important to be honest with people about why someone who practices Theravada may reject the teachings of Mahayana and Vajrayana. I've had to do this on more than one occasion when speaking with people who literally did not know that Mahayana sutras where not spoken by the historical Buddha- they had always been taught that Mahayana was fact and that it was better than Hinayana. The Mahayana and Vajrayana talks down about "hinayana" all the time, so I don't understand why there isn't any push back against their position.

Maybe these points need to be broken off into a different thread.
"Upon a heap of rubbish in the road-side ditch blooms a lotus, fragrant and pleasing.
Even so, on the rubbish heap of blinded mortals the disciple of the Supremely Enlightened One shines resplendent in wisdom." Dhammapada: Pupphavagga

http://www.accesstoinsight.org/
Maitri

Post by Maitri »

Just to use a brief example:

http://nalandabodhi.org/courses/path-of ... a-courses/
http://nalandabodhi.org/courses/path-of ... a-courses/

Although these courses appear innocuous in their use of Hinayana and do not make overt references to Theravada, the general idea is that the early Buddhist teachings are incomplete and require further instruction from the Mahayana perspective. This thinking is pervasive throughout Mahayana teachings and institutions. It's a mistake to simply ignore these positions as the Mahayana narrative very much relegated "Hinayana" positions and teachings to a bottom rung within its own system. It's a problematic position then for Theravadans to respond because it appears we are picking a fight by stating the facts about Buddhist history even though the Mahayana position is widely taught and rarely publicly challenged due to fears of "sectarianism".
"Upon a heap of rubbish in the road-side ditch blooms a lotus, fragrant and pleasing.
Even so, on the rubbish heap of blinded mortals the disciple of the Supremely Enlightened One shines resplendent in wisdom." Dhammapada: Pupphavagga

Aloka

Post by Aloka »

Maitri wrote: It's a mistake to simply ignore these positions as the Mahayana narrative very much relegated "Hinayana" positions and teachings to a bottom rung within its own system. It's a problematic position then for Theravadans to respond because it appears we are picking a fight by stating the facts about Buddhist history even though the Mahayana position is widely taught and rarely publicly challenged due to fears of "sectarianism".
I don't know anything about Brian Ruhe, but as far as the term "hinayana" is concerned, It's worth reading this article "The Mahayana Motivation" BY Sakyong Mipham, son of the late Chogyam Trungpa and head of the Shambhala organisation :

http://www.lionsroar.com/the-mahayana-motivation/

Excerpt from the article:

...However, from the point of view of the mahayana, the path of the bodhisattva, the arhats are taking only a small step. Certainly it is an heroic step, like the first step of a child, and a very important step that one has to take. But it is still said to be only a small step towards liberation.

The bodhisattva is different from the hinayana practitioner in several ways. First, the understanding of truth, of reality, is very different in the mahayana. According to the bodhisattva, the mahayana teachings are the real words of the Buddha. Because of the students’ capacity the Buddha mostly taught hinayana—and very sensibly so, because people were suffering—but he also asked, “Do you just want a release from suffering, or do you want to understand the truth?”

When we get to mahayana, it is the truth.
Last edited by Aloka on Sun Dec 27, 2015 4:30 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Maitri

Post by Maitri »

jan fessel wrote:The Lotus Sutra is one of the earliest and most famous Mahayana texts and one might think that it is great wisdom, difficult to access.

However it appear on reading as a naive adventure story, where the authors intention that everyone should be able to understand Mahayanas superiority, is very thinly disguised.

Some of the Buddha's closest and most respected disciples, Kaccana, Kassapa and Moggallana, are here put words in their mouths, by Mahayana propaganda writers, so that they almost appear as senile fools:
The Mahayana is replete with examples such as this. Even the Heart Sutra has Avalokitesharava teaching Sariputta yet again.

Again it comes down to issues of representation. As Mahayana is the dominate perspective it's position simply becomes a matter of course to those who follow its guidance. How can we engage the Theravadan position without falling into name calling or insults? I think it helps to simply state the facts. People who have never read the earliest Suttas would not understand why showing a buffoonish Sariputta is so grating and disrespectful; that's the only Sariputta they've ever known. In many discussions its Mahayana setting up the parameters of how we talk about Buddhism and how we address issues (or don't in the case of textual authenticity).

I was reading a forum about historical authenticity of Mahayana Sutras and the response of several of the Mahayanists was downright nasty. They were dismissive of Ven Sujato's work and couldn't stop saying how "biased" it was every his work was brought into the discussion. So I guess Mahayana biases are ok for assuming their textual authenticity, but not for Theravadans to support their own Suttas? Ok, sure.

hermitwin

Post by hermitwin »

I dont think your criticism of Ruhe is fair. Your comments reflects your own biases. Instaed of dismissing him as a nazi sympathizer, why dont you point out exactly what you think is wrong with Ruhe's views on BUddhism. Then, perhaps we can let him rebut you point by point. Its pretty meaningless making sweeping staements.
Maitri

Post by Maitri »

hermitwin wrote:I dont think your criticism of Ruhe is fair. Your comments reflects your own biases. Instaed of dismissing him as a nazi sympathizer, why dont you point out exactly what you think is wrong with Ruhe's views on BUddhism. Then, perhaps we can let him rebut you point by point. Its pretty meaningless making sweeping staements.

Yes, my biases are clear - I'm biased against racists and Nazis. I'm not going to apologize for that or pretend to care if that bothers you or anyone else. I don't take Nazi sympathizers seriously enough to engage on their own warped understanding when applied to Buddhism. He has made several videos concerning this subject matter. Feel free to watch them on your own time. His position on this undermines any contributions he could make to this discussion.

Read my initial post again, please. I vetted this question to everyone to explore. I noted in my later postings some elements that he gets wrong about Mahayana Buddhism. His limited understanding of Pure Land and Nichiren Buddhism are very clear to anyone who has studied them at all. He creates straw-man arguments against these Mahayana schools which is based on mis-readings and poor understanding of the texts, traditions and history. Bad scholarship and poor polemical arguments do nothing to further dialogue between Buddhist traditions, nor does it help further spread the Dhamma. If someone wants to critique a tradition or texts, they better make damn sure their sources and readings are accurate.

hermitwin

Post by hermitwin »

Some people argued that perhaps Ruhe criticised mahayana so that he can feel better about his own beliefs. So, when I criticise muslim terrorists , i do it because it makes me feel better about buddhist terrorists? At least the the buddhist terrorists in burma do not chop off people's heads, they just burn the houses of the muslims and chase them out of the country!

No, when I criticise mahayana amd muslim terrorists , it is because i see something wrong with their beliefs and actions, not because it makes me feel better about myself.
Maitri

Post by Maitri »

hermitwin wrote:Some people argued that perhaps Ruhe criticised mahayana so that he can feel better about his own beliefs.
Then address those people with specific examples in hopes they will expand their position for you. I have no issues challenging Mahayana triumphalism; textual debate is important and should be addressed openly and honestly. This includes examining our own positions, words and intentions to be sure they do not come from a place of malice. Though we may disagree on some or many points, Mahayana Buddhists and Vajrayana Buddhists are our Dhamma brothers and sisters.
So, when I criticise muslim terrorists , i do it because it makes me feel better about buddhist terrorists? At least the the buddhist terrorists in burma do not chop off people's heads, they just burn the houses of the muslims and chase them out of the country!

No, when I criticise mahayana amd muslim terrorists , it is because i see something wrong with their beliefs and actions, not because it makes me feel better about myself.
Mahayana terrorists? What are you talking about? This is completely off topic. Terrorism and violence are wrong- doesn't matter if it's a Buddhist or Muslim pulling the trigger- it's wrong. Lord Buddha never advocated violence from those who follow his sublime Dhamma, in fact, just the opposite:
129. All tremble at violence; all fear death. Putting oneself in the place of another, one should not kill nor cause another to kill.

130. All tremble at violence; life is dear to all. Putting oneself in the place of another, one should not kill nor cause another to kill.

131. One who, while himself seeking happiness, oppresses with violence other beings who also desire happiness, will not attain happiness hereafter.

132. One who, while himself seeking happiness, does not oppress with violence other beings who also desire happiness, will find happiness hereafter.

Dhammapada- Chapter 10, Violence