Buddha,Sabhuti (Diamond Sutta) and Pali Canon

Exploring Theravāda's connections to other paths - what can we learn from other traditions, religions and philosophies?
terryshine

Buddha,Sabhuti (Diamond Sutta) and Pali Canon

Post by terryshine »

I have just read the diamond sutta, a discussion between the Buddha and Venerable Subhuti. The latter asking what should be the answer to people concerning being a Bodhisattva. I believe this is a Mahayana text discovered a 1000 years ago in a cave in China.
I would like to know
1. Is this Sutta in the Pali Canon?
2. This supposes that the notion of a Bodhisattva was extent pre Buddha which may be questionable as the Buddha was the first to enlightenment (in this era). Could this notion have appeared in the 40 years of the Buddhas teachings?
3. In the Sutta the Buddha does not disagree with the notion of a Bodhisattva but replies that there is no one to save. However there are other quotes from the Buddha that say there is no beginning and no ending to Samsara. So how could there be a notion that a Bodhisattva could exist as he would be waiting for ever plus one day?
I will be happy if someone has any knowledge of the above and will share it.
retrofuturist

Re: Buddha,Sabhuti (Diamond Sutta) and Pali Canon

Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings,

1. No.

2. The Buddha referred to pre-enlightened self as a "bodhisatta", but this is understood very differently in the suttas, to the Mahayana understanding of what this means

3. Just because there is no beginning or end to samsara does not mean it does not exist. However, "beings" do not exist to the extent that what we conventionally call a being is nothing more than a continual rising and cessation of the five aggregates.

Metta,
Retro. :)
"Whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things."