Page 1 of 1

How Your Brain Can Turn Anxiety into Calmness

Posted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 6:18 pm
by Cittasanto
just came across this video. iit is quite long but some may find it interesting.

Re: How Your Brain Can Turn Anxiety into Calmness

Posted: Sun Jul 07, 2013 9:25 am
by retrofuturist
Greetings Cittasanto,

Thanks for sharing - that was really interesting.

In short, for those without 88 minutes to spare, after a bit of preliminary science, it proposes combination of samatha (calm) meditation and pushing out unwholesome/useless thoughts with calming thoughts/imagery that can alleviate and defuse the cyclical nature of anxiety, worry and stress.

Metta,
Retro. :)

Re: How Your Brain Can Turn Anxiety into Calmness

Posted: Fri Jul 12, 2013 6:30 pm
by IanAnd
retrofuturist wrote: In short, for those without 88 minutes to spare, after a bit of preliminary science, it proposes combination of samatha (calm) meditation and pushing out unwholesome/useless thoughts with calming thoughts/imagery that can alleviate and defuse the cyclical nature of anxiety, worry and stress.
Thanks for summarizing the video for those of us who value their time and can't be bothered watching useless trash, Retro. (Besides, I have a dial-up connection. Anyone know how long it takes for 88 minutes to upload on a dial-up connection? I have better things to do with my time.)

This is typical of the modern age's urge to find a quick fix "pill" to use in order to handle an established mental habit. It puts a band-aide on the problem but does not directly address it!

Following the above mentioned advice will only result in the anxiety returning at some point in the future (wherein the practitioner will have to deal with it again, using this quick fix method of truth denial) and will not end the cycle once and for all.

If you want to end anxiety, confront the cause of anxiety and see it for what it truly IS through insight. Otherwise, be content to keep applying these ridiculous quick fixes to a problem that is sure to recur.

Re: How Your Brain Can Turn Anxiety into Calmness

Posted: Fri Jul 12, 2013 10:25 pm
by retrofuturist
Greetings Ian,

I agree by and large with what you're saying.

I think there is the case however where certain temporary life circumstances of a difficult nature may be temporarily alleviated in such a manner (... it sure beats drugs and alcohol as an option!)

The greater problem would seem to be when anxiety is perennial, and hiding from it merely makes it worse.

Metta,
Retro. :)

Re: How Your Brain Can Turn Anxiety into Calmness

Posted: Fri Jul 12, 2013 11:28 pm
by danieLion
IanAnd wrote:This is typical of the modern age's urge to find a quick fix "pill" to use in order to handle an established mental habit. It puts a band-aide on the problem but does not directly address it!
Hi Ian,
There's nothing "quick fix" about this. The length of the presentation indicates this, along with the work he delineates as necessary to overcome anxiety. It's similar to dhamma practice. "Restlessness" (uddhacca) is the penultimate fetter to be destroyed and is the work of one on the path of non-return. At that point, you're a long way from "quick fix."
Kindly,
dL

Re: How Your Brain Can Turn Anxiety into Calmness

Posted: Sat Jul 13, 2013 5:31 am
by IanAnd
Retrofuturist wrote: I think there is the case however where certain temporary life circumstances of a difficult nature may be temporarily alleviated in such a manner (... it sure beats drugs and alcohol as an option!)
danieLion wrote: "Restlessness" (uddhacca) is the penultimate fetter to be destroyed and is the work of one on the path of non-return. At that point, you're a long way from "quick fix."
Good points both, with which I do not disagree. I was just saying. . . I consider anxiety a matter best dealt with through insight. Not by employing something to trick the mind out of experiencing anxiety. That is my only point.

Please understand that I was basing my assessment on this description which Retro provided, not from having watched the video:
  • "...it proposes combination of samatha (calm) meditation and pushing out unwholesome/useless thoughts with calming thoughts/imagery that can alleviate and defuse the cyclical nature of anxiety, worry and stress."
This description suggests some kind of quick fix visualization exercise to me. That's why I labeled it a quick fix. If the video says something different it was not expressed very well in the description given. That's all.

Re: How Your Brain Can Turn Anxiety into Calmness

Posted: Sun Jul 14, 2013 12:13 pm
by Anagarika
Thanks, Cittasanto, for being thoughtful as well as proactive in posting this excellent video for the rest of us.
Thanks for summarizing the video for those of us who value their time and can't be bothered watching useless trash.
The above quote explains why I never watched Schindler's List, or went to see Les Miserables, or never read Leaves of Grass. Why waste time on this useless stuff, when there's hours of Assassin's Creed to play?
Otherwise, be content to keep applying these ridiculous quick fixes to a problem that is sure to recur.
Yeah, I'm guessing Dr. Rossman has no idea of what he's talking about. He may not be your cup of tea, but to invest 88 minutes in this information is well worth one's time. Accept the info, or reject it, but at least watch it before you have an opinion. I'm glad Cittasanto shared this, and I'm guessing these 88 minutes are going to help some people. That's Metta in actual practice.