Who is GOD in Buddhism?

Exploring Theravāda's connections to other paths - what can we learn from other traditions, religions and philosophies?
Jechbi

Re: Who is GOD in Buddhism?

Post by Jechbi »

Karma Dondrup Tashi wrote: I am a malign thug, since the universe is entirely the consequence of my choices. Not Abhidharma karma, but there it is.
Maybe it's more like: "I am a malign thug, since the universe as I experience it is entirely the consequence of my choices." No?
Rain soddens what is kept wrapped up,
But never soddens what is open;
Uncover, then, what is concealed,
Lest it be soddened by the rain.
Ceisiwr

Post by Ceisiwr »

True but in Mahayana with its karmic maximalism, since the universe is a torture chamber
What a strange thing to say in Buddhadhamma

Dukkha is there because of ignorance, not because of the universe

If you think you suffer because of the universe or life in general then, to me, you dont understand Dhamma

metta
“Knowing that this body is just like foam,
understanding it has the nature of a mirage,
cutting off Māra’s flower-tipped arrows,
one should go beyond the King of Death’s sight.”
tiltbillings

Post by tiltbillings »

Jechbi wrote:
Karma Dondrup Tashi wrote: I am a malign thug, since the universe is entirely the consequence of my choices. Not Abhidharma karma, but there it is.
Maybe it's more like: "I am a malign thug, since the universe as I experience it is entirely the consequence of my choices." No?
Yes.
>> Do you see a man wise [enlightened/ariya] in his own eyes? There is more hope for a fool than for him.<< -- Proverbs 26:12

This being is bound to samsara, kamma is his means for going beyond. -- SN I, 38.

“Of course it is happening inside your head, Harry, but why on earth should that mean that it is not real?” HPatDH p.723
retrofuturist

Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings Jechbi & Tilt,

Yes... that would make for more sense to me.

I was hoping to clarify what KDT meant, and to see whether it matches that or not.

Metta,
Retro. :)
"Whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things."
Aloka

Post by Aloka »

Indeed . As a Mahayana practitioner myself, I too am interested in clarification. :reading:

:anjali: