NUMINOUS COSMOS

Exploring Theravāda's connections to other paths - what can we learn from other traditions, religions and philosophies?
Modus.Ponens

Re: NUMINOUS COSMOS

Post by Modus.Ponens » Wed Jul 25, 2012 5:29 am

manas wrote:
Hi modus,

I don't think anyone is suggesting that external objects do not actually exist, but rather that we can't perceive them except via the agency of the senses and the mind itself. We don't see the computer, we just see our mind's interpretation of sensory data - but that doesn't mean the computer isn't actually there.

:anjali:
Hi manas

In one of the posts that you quoted I said that I've had this discussion countless times with morlock. I know what his position is regarding this subject and it's not what you're saying it is.

"He turns his mind away from those phenomena and, having done so, inclines his mind to the property of deathlessness: 'This is peace, this is exquisite — the resolution of all fabrications; the relinquishment of all acquisitions; the ending of craving; dispassion; cessation; Unbinding.' " - Jhana Sutta

danieLion

Post by danieLion » Wed Jul 25, 2012 5:40 am

Thanks Ben,

Worth the time.

What Dr. Wiley (biologist) calls getting more and more comfortable with blurring the line between man and machine others call "the singularity curse."

I wonder what Reverend Brahm (not to mention Theravadins and other Buddhists) think of this? We could get a lot more Dhamma talks out the Reverend if he could cyborg up when his body starts going. Do you think he'd go for it?

Kind wishes,
Daniel

m0rl0ck

Post by m0rl0ck » Wed Jul 25, 2012 5:42 am

Modus.Ponens wrote:
manas wrote:
Hi modus,

I don't think anyone is suggesting that external objects do not actually exist, but rather that we can't perceive them except via the agency of the senses and the mind itself. We don't see the computer, we just see our mind's interpretation of sensory data - but that doesn't mean the computer isn't actually there.

Hi manas

In one of the posts that you quoted I said that I've had this discussion countless times with morlock. I know what his position is regarding this subject and it's not what you're saying it is.

Actually im not sure you do know what my position is. Its too clear and simple to be stated in many words and i know that only a statement of many words will satisfy you. So i will just leave you with this :bow:
“The truth knocks on the door and you say, "Go away, I'm looking for the truth," and so it goes away. Puzzling.” ― Robert M. Pirsig