Is yogacara very compatible with theravada?

Exploring Theravāda's connections to other paths - what can we learn from other traditions, religions and philosophies?
johnny

Is yogacara very compatible with theravada?

Post by johnny » Sun Jul 22, 2012 5:22 am

I feel like it is. i'm reading a book on it right now and it is highly psychological and very in depth about the mind and it's workings. most of it seems too be right in line with theravada teachings, except for going a bit further into what consciousness is and how it functions, but not in a way that is opposed too theravada teachings. does it fit? in particular does it fit with abhidhamma?
The time would not pass. Somebody was playing with the clocks, and not only the electronic clocks but the wind-up kind too. The second hand on my watch would twitch once, and a year would pass, and then it would twitch again.
There was nothing I could do about it. As an Earthling I had to believe whatever clocks said -and calendars.”
― Kurt Vonnegut, Slaughterhouse-Five

tiltbillings

Re: Is yogacara very compatible with theravada?

Post by tiltbillings » Sun Jul 22, 2012 5:43 am

johnny wrote:I feel like it is. i'm reading a book on it right now and it is highly psychological and very in depth about the mind and it's workings. most of it seems too be right in line with theravada teachings, except for going a bit further into what consciousness is and how it functions, but not in a way that is opposed too theravada teachings. does it fit? in particular does it fit with abhidhamma?
What is the name of the book?
>> Do you see a man wise [enlightened/ariya] in his own eyes? There is more hope for a fool than for him.<< -- Proverbs 26:12

This being is bound to samsara, kamma is his means for going beyond. -- SN I, 38.

“Of course it is happening inside your head, Harry, but why on earth should that mean that it is not real?” HPatDH p.723

cooran

Post by cooran » Sun Jul 22, 2012 5:56 am

Hello johnny, all,

Hmmmm .... interesting information to wade through here:

Yogacara
http://www.answers.com/topic/yogacara" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I'd be interested to hear others thoughts on this matterr.

with metta
Chris
---The trouble is that you think you have time---
---Worry is the Interest, paid in advance, on a debt you may never owe---
---It's not what happens to you in life that is important ~ it's what you do with it ---

tiltbillings

Post by tiltbillings » Sun Jul 22, 2012 6:07 am

cooran wrote:Hello johnny, all,

Hmmmm .... interesting information to wade through here:

Yogacara
http://www.answers.com/topic/yogacara" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I'd be interested to hear others thoughts on this matterr.

with metta
Chris
That is the usual sort of drivel about Yogachara. This is infinitely better:

http://www.acmuller.net/yogacara/articles/intro-uni.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
>> Do you see a man wise [enlightened/ariya] in his own eyes? There is more hope for a fool than for him.<< -- Proverbs 26:12

This being is bound to samsara, kamma is his means for going beyond. -- SN I, 38.

“Of course it is happening inside your head, Harry, but why on earth should that mean that it is not real?” HPatDH p.723

Viscid

Post by Viscid » Sun Jul 22, 2012 7:45 am

If others haven't seen this lecture by Dan Lusthaus on Karma in Yogacara, it's good:

He gets to Yogacara at 30 minutes in.. but the entire video is worth watching.
"What holds attention determines action." - William James

Durt_Dawg

Post by Durt_Dawg » Sun Jul 22, 2012 8:56 pm

I don't know how many consciousness ya homeboys are learning within Theravada, but within the Yogacara school, they talk about 8 consciousness!

the eye, ear, nose, tongue, body, mind consciousness, and da seventh Manas consciousness dat causes the attachement to da "self" and 8th Alaya consciousness dat is da storehouse for all our Karmic seeds.
Lets b fwendssss!!!!

tiltbillings

Post by tiltbillings » Sun Jul 22, 2012 9:56 pm

Viscid wrote:If others haven't seen this lecture by Dan Lusthaus on Karma in Yogacara, it's good:

He gets to Yogacara at 30 minutes in.. but the entire video is worth watching.
Good stuff. Well worth the time spent. Thanks for posting this.