entitlement

Exploring Theravāda's connections to other paths - what can we learn from other traditions, religions and philosophies?
chg2winter

entitlement

Post by chg2winter »

The one 'hot button' I have left that I have not made any traction on is my response (dissatisfaction/anger/disgust) when people seem to have a sense of entitlement. I am totally unsure of what pattern this comes from or what unconscious trigger is being tripped. But from homeless people to richy rich people, when someone portrays they are entitled to something, I react without wisdom.

Any thoughts on how writings or lessons that might help me address this?

thanks,
Dan
Sam Vara
Site Admin

Re: entitlement

Post by Sam Vara »

"There are these ten ways of subduing hatred. Which ten?

[1] "Thinking, 'He has done me harm. But what should I expect?' one subdues hatred.

[2] "Thinking, 'He is doing me harm. But what should I expect?' one subdues hatred.

[3] "Thinking, 'He is going to do me harm. But what should I expect?' one subdues hatred.

[4] "Thinking, 'He has done harm to people who are dear & pleasing to me. But what should I expect?' one subdues hatred.

[5] "Thinking, 'He is doing harm to people who are dear & pleasing to me. But what should I expect?' one subdues hatred.

[6] "Thinking, 'He is going to do harm to people who are dear & pleasing to me. But what should I expect?' one subdues hatred.

[7] "Thinking, 'He has aided people who are not dear or pleasing to me. But what should I expect?' one subdues hatred.

[8] "Thinking, 'He is aiding people who are not dear or pleasing to me. But what should I expect?' one subdues hatred.

[9] "Thinking, 'He is going to aid people who are not dear or pleasing to me. But what should I expect?' one subdues hatred.

[10] "One does not get worked up over impossibilities.

"These are ten ways of subduing hatred."
http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka ... .than.html
Eccedustin

Post by Eccedustin »

chg2winter wrote:The one 'hot button' I have left that I have not made any traction on is my response (dissatisfaction/anger/disgust) when people seem to have a sense of entitlement. I am totally unsure of what pattern this comes from or what unconscious trigger is being tripped. But from homeless people to richy rich people, when someone portrays they are entitled to something, I react without wisdom.

Any thoughts on how writings or lessons that might help me address this?

thanks,
Dan
What do you mean "without wisdom"?
The universe is awake, conscious and aware of itself! The universe is awake, conscious and aware of itself because we are awake, conscious and aware of ourselves. We are the not just in the universe, we are the universe.
chg2winter

Post by chg2winter »

"without wisdom" - reacting in anger, or outrage, or disgust.
Bhikkhu Pesala

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

There's a lovely story (from the Vinaya) where a bhikkhu sees a billy goat bowing its head, and thought it was bowing to him. :bow:

Guess what happened next ...
BlogPāli FontsIn This Very LifeBuddhist ChroniclesSoftware (Upasampadā: 24th June, 1979)
retrofuturist

Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings C2W,
chg2winter wrote:Any thoughts on how writings or lessons that might help me address this?
Recognise that your response is aversion, and see how this aversion is dukkha. Discerning it correctly, you will see the harm it brings and with mindfulness, be less inclined toward such mental action.

Metta,
Retro. :)
"Whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things."