The mind by Ajahn Chah

Exploring Theravāda's connections to other paths - what can we learn from other traditions, religions and philosophies?
Mr Man

Re: The mind by Ajahn Chah

Post by Mr Man »

"This book on the frames of reference is based to some extent on my own thoughts and opinions. In some spots it may not be directly in line with the original texts, because my primary aim has been to get to the heart of the matter so that it can be conveniently put into practice. Those who hold zealously to the texts may feel that what I have written is wrong; but as for me, I feel that whoever is able to practice in line with what is written here will find that it can be taken as a guide to the true principles of concentration, discernment, and release. To hold to the texts isn't wrong, but they should be held to discerningly, just as in medicine: A doctor who thinks that the only way to cure a fever is to drink a concoction of boiled neem and quinine leaves is wrong. Some doctors may add the leaves of other trees and make it into a powder; some may make a concentrated extract; others may vary the dosage. In the same way, when practicing the Dhamma, to go no further than the texts may in some cases be wrong. Actually, any path that abandons defilement and brings relief from suffering is right. The value of medicine lies in its ability to cure disease; the value of a method of practice lies in its ability to abandon defilement. As far as I can see, there is nothing wrong with any method that has been found to work. In the end, all such methods must follow the basic principles of virtue, concentration, and discernment, and differ only as to whether they are crude or sophisticated, direct or indirect, fast or slow"

Taken from the introduction to "Frames of Reference" by the late Ajaan Lee http://www.accesstoinsight.org/lib/thai/lee/frames.html. For me this sums up the spirit of the forest tradition Ajahns.
Sokehi

Re: The mind by Ajahn Chah

Post by Sokehi »

On Ajahn Chahs and the original Scriptures and knowledge about others traditions masters teachings (as found in "Venerable Father" by P. Breiter):
... Ajahn Chah said years ago that though he once studied all the texts and scriptures, he couldn't remember much of it anymore. I recently listened to a tape of him talking informally with Western monks. 'The first level of enlightenment', he said, 'Stream Entry - how many things (i.e. fetters) do you get rid of?' Someone said 'Three'. 'Uuh, three... self-view, doubt, and...' 'Belief in rites and rituals,' someone added. To me, and to many others, this is so refreshing: while some people attach to the words and the concepts, a man who obviously knows Reality forgets the standard ways of describing it. When Ajahn Chah visited the USA in 1979, I eagerly questioned him with my newly acquired "knowledge" of Mahayana buddhism and its profound teachings. I found that although he had heard or read very little of it before, he comprehended instantly, and he taught me about it, because his understanding of it was infinetely deeper than mine. He surprised me and others by using the exact same similes of other masters, past and present, whom I am sure he never heard of.
Get the wanting out of waiting

What does womanhood matter at all, when the mind is concentrated well, when knowledge flows on steadily as one sees correctly into Dhamma. One to whom it might occur, ‘I am a woman’ or ‘I am a man’ or ‘I’m anything at all’ is fit for Mara to address. – SN 5.2

If they take what's yours, tell yourself that you're making it a gift.
Otherwise there will be no end to the animosity. - Ajahn Fuang Jotiko

https://www.youtube.com/user/Repeataarrr