Realizing no-self for 1,000£ only! ;)

Exploring Theravāda's connections to other paths - what can we learn from other traditions, religions and philosophies?
kirk5a

Re: Realizing no-self for 1,000£ only! ;)

Post by kirk5a »

I think this is worth careful consideration with regard to "realizing no-self."
"Then again, the disciple of the noble ones, having gone into the wilderness, to the root of a tree, or into an empty dwelling, considers this: 'This is empty of self or of anything pertaining to self.' Practicing & frequently abiding in this way, his mind acquires confidence in that dimension. There being full confidence, he either attains the dimension of nothingness now or else is committed to discernment. With the break-up of the body, after death, it's possible that this leading-on consciousness of his will go to the dimension of nothingness. This is declared to be the second practice conducive to the dimension of nothingness.
http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka ... .than.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
"When one thing is practiced & pursued, ignorance is abandoned, clear knowing arises, the conceit 'I am' is abandoned, latent tendencies are uprooted, fetters are abandoned. Which one thing? Mindfulness immersed in the body." -AN 1.230
Bagoba

Post by Bagoba »

kirk5a wrote:I think this is worth careful consideration with regard to "realizing no-self."
"Then again, the disciple of the noble ones, having gone into the wilderness, to the root of a tree, or into an empty dwelling, considers this: 'This is empty of self or of anything pertaining to self.' Practicing & frequently abiding in this way, his mind acquires confidence in that dimension. There being full confidence, he either attains the dimension of nothingness now or else is committed to discernment. With the break-up of the body, after death, it's possible that this leading-on consciousness of his will go to the dimension of nothingness. This is declared to be the second practice conducive to the dimension of nothingness.
http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka ... .than.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
What an awesome piece of writing...
"This path is a thorough investigation and understanding of the limitations of the mortal condition of the body and mind. Now you're developing the ability to turn away from the conditioned and to release your identity from mortality." Ajan Sumedho, "Mindfulness, the path to the Deathless." http://www.buddhanet.net/pdf_file/deathless.pdf
nobody12345

Post by nobody12345 »

It there's money involved, it's certainly not Dhamma.
Stay away whenever you see one.
Money is one of the most overt indicators of detecting charlatans.
Bhikkhu Pesala

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

imaginos wrote:It there's money involved, it's certainly not Dhamma.
I would not go that far, but its certainly a warning sign.

Money Makes the World Go Round

Meditation centres cost money to run, publishers need money to print books. Monks can provide free teaching only because their physical needs are provided by devout lay supporters. Lay meditation teachers, or lay groups that support monks, may need to charge fees for meditation classes and retreats. One cannot say, categorically, that it is not Dhamma because money is involved.

My understanding is that Burmese lay people have to pay to meditate at Mahāsi Yeikthā, though there are, I think, funds available to sponsor those who cannot afford to pay.
BlogPāli FontsIn This Very LifeBuddhist ChroniclesSoftware (Upasampadā: 24th June, 1979)
Bagoba

Post by Bagoba »

:namaste:
"This path is a thorough investigation and understanding of the limitations of the mortal condition of the body and mind. Now you're developing the ability to turn away from the conditioned and to release your identity from mortality." Ajan Sumedho, "Mindfulness, the path to the Deathless." http://www.buddhanet.net/pdf_file/deathless.pdf