5 pranas and their symbolic

Exploring Theravāda's connections to other paths - what can we learn from other traditions, religions and philosophies?
DarwidHalim

5 pranas and their symbolic

Post by DarwidHalim »

In ancient Indian, Chinese, and many asia countries, they are these 5 major pranas and elements: Earth (upward-moving prana), Air, Water, Fire, and Space. They are all symbolic for 5 major pranas.

Acupunture works based on 5 pranas.Indian ancient medicine also works based on these 5 pranas.

Are there any discussions about these 5 pranas and its function from Pali tradition?

Are there any discussions as well about medical/medicine from Buddha in Pali tradition?
I am not here nor there.
I am not right nor wrong.
I do not exist neither non-exist.
I am not I nor non-I.
I am not in samsara nor nirvana.
To All Buddhas, I bow down for the teaching of emptiness. Thank You!
Bonsai Doug

Re: 5 pranas and their symbolic

Post by Bonsai Doug »

I have no answer for you, but this is just one good site to search books and Suttas: http://www.accesstoinsight.org/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Now having obtained a precious human body,
I do not have the luxury of remaining on a distracted path.

~ Tibetan Book of the Dead
Nyana

Post by Nyana »

DarwidHalim wrote:Are there any discussions about these 5 pranas and its function from Pali tradition?
Not in terms of the five elements. However, the internal winds are listed as aspects of the the wind element. MN 62 Mahārāhulovāda Sutta:
  • What is the internal air element? Whatever internally, within oneself, that is air, airy, and clung-to, that is, upward moving winds, downward moving winds, winds in the stomach, winds in the bowels, winds that course through the limbs, in-breath and out-breath, or whatever else internally, within oneself, that is air, airy, and clung-to: this is called the internal air element.
DarwidHalim wrote:Are there any discussions as well about medical/medicine from Buddha in Pali tradition?
I think there are Pāli medical texts, but I have no idea about the contents. There are a number of texts listed in Ven. Nyanatusita's Reference Table of Pāli Literature under Anthologies from the Suttantas and the Commentaries, Paritta, Cosmology, Medicine, and Lexicography.
DarwidHalim

Post by DarwidHalim »

However, the internal winds are listed as aspects of the the wind element. MN 62 Mahārāhulovāda Sutta:

What is the internal air element? Whatever internally, within oneself, that is air, airy, and clung-to, that is, upward moving winds, downward moving winds, winds in the stomach, winds in the bowels, winds that course through the limbs, in-breath and out-breath, or whatever else internally, within oneself, that is air, airy, and clung-to: this is called the internal air element.
Thank you. This Sutta indicates that internal energy is mentioned briefly in Pali. However, how to utilize this wind energy (prana) is not discussed. From of all this energy, Buddha in Pali tradition seems only elaborate one, which is in-breath and out-breath (anapanasati)

The rest of the energy are mentioned, but how to utilize or practice them is not mentioned.

The 5 pranas (Pali : Sankrit)
Upward-moving wind : upward moving prana (symbolized as earth)
Downward-moving wind : downward moving prana (symbolized as water element)
Winds in the stomach : fire-like wind (symbolized as fire)
Winds in the bowel: ??
winds that course through the limbs : pervasive prana (symbolized as air element)

Thank you for your information.
I am not here nor there.
I am not right nor wrong.
I do not exist neither non-exist.
I am not I nor non-I.
I am not in samsara nor nirvana.
To All Buddhas, I bow down for the teaching of emptiness. Thank You!
marc108

Post by marc108 »

Outside of the Suttas, Ajaan Lee Dhammadharo & Thanissaro Bhikkhu both have teachings on Anapanasati using the Breath Energies.
"It's easy for us to connect with what's wrong with us... and not so easy to feel into, or to allow us, to connect with what's right and what's good in us."