Rare human incarnation

Exploring Theravāda's connections to other paths - what can we learn from other traditions, religions and philosophies?
greggorious

Re: Rare human incarnation

Post by greggorious »

I agree Mr Man. I find Buddhism can contradict itself sometimes, saying that we shouldn't speculate yet there's still much speculation backed up with no evidence too.
"The original heart/mind shines like pure, clear water with the sweetest taste. But if the heart is pure, is our practice over? No, we must not cling even to this purity. We must go beyond all duality, all concepts, all bad, all good, all pure, all impure. We must go beyond self and nonself, beyond birth and death. When we see with the eye of wisdom, we know that the true Buddha is timeless, unborn, unrelated to any body, any history, any image. Buddha is the ground of all being, the realization of the truth of the unmoving mind.” Ajahn Chah

dharmapasschakra

Post by dharmapasschakra »

manas wrote:hi greg,

as I understand it, beings can pass away from one place in the universe, and reappear in another many light years away or whatever - the sum total of all beings is not just on this planet Earth; the Universe (or Universes) are UNLIMITED. I mean, could there possibly be a limit somewhere? If so, what would be beyond the boundary? So as far as I know, there are unlimited numbers of worlds, and thus unlimited numbers of beings spread throughout those worlds. Therefore - the total number of beings on this particular planet can go up, or down, or even disappear - that's all fine, any beings seeking birth would just reappear elsewhere. (I'm assuming that human beings also exist elsewhere - and considering that infinity is quite a large number, I don't think that's a bad assumption to make).

:anjali:
very nice observation. :anjali:

do you know why a population(including non-physical) of this planet can go up or down or even disappear?

do you know what exactly mean by that the pop of this universe can go up and down or disappear?

when a cow sees a group of mixture of humans and cows.

they count cow first. 3 cows 7 humans

when a human sees a group of mixture of humans and cows.

they count human first. 7 humans 3 cows

a 200ml cup full of water.

the water consumed.

has the cup still 200ml?

no, and yes.

no, it's 0ml of water there.

yes, it's 200ml full of air there.

0ml ---> 200ml ========= total number can go up,

200ml ---> 0ml ========== total number can go down,

depends on what species you are counting.

i live with 10^99999999999999 individual bacterias in my room.

but during the census, 1 human resides in this room.
Last edited by dharmapasschakra on Tue May 08, 2012 11:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

greggorious

Post by greggorious »

What the? Is that some kind of Theravada Koan? lol
"The original heart/mind shines like pure, clear water with the sweetest taste. But if the heart is pure, is our practice over? No, we must not cling even to this purity. We must go beyond all duality, all concepts, all bad, all good, all pure, all impure. We must go beyond self and nonself, beyond birth and death. When we see with the eye of wisdom, we know that the true Buddha is timeless, unborn, unrelated to any body, any history, any image. Buddha is the ground of all being, the realization of the truth of the unmoving mind.” Ajahn Chah

Mr Man

Post by Mr Man »

manas wrote: So as far as I know, there are unlimited numbers of worlds, and thus unlimited numbers of beings spread throughout those worlds.
Shouldn't that read "So as far as I don't know"? :)

dharmapasschakra

Post by dharmapasschakra »

Mr Man wrote:
manas wrote: So as far as I know, there are unlimited numbers of worlds, and thus unlimited numbers of beings spread throughout those worlds.
Shouldn't that read "So as far as I don't know"? :)

if he knows it's unknown.

= he tries to look at closely, but, not in his sight.

if he doesn't know it's unknown.

= he doesn't even care looking at, busy doing other things.

practical examples,

you open the fridge.

no dog food in the fridge.

"i've no dog food in the fridge."

REALIZATION. :o

you're outside walking your dog, Molly.

no dog food in the fridge.

"Molly, run!!! hahaha!!"

NEGLIGENCE. :lol:

knowing it's unknown is as important as knowing a thing and the activity itself is knowing a thing of none.

Bagoba

Post by Bagoba »

There's another explanation of all sentient beings: http://www.nalanda-university.com/buddh ... -ching.htm
"This path is a thorough investigation and understanding of the limitations of the mortal condition of the body and mind. Now you're developing the ability to turn away from the conditioned and to release your identity from mortality." Ajan Sumedho, "Mindfulness, the path to the Deathless." http://www.buddhanet.net/pdf_file/deathless.pdf

equilibrium

Post by equilibrium »

greggorious wrote:If it's so rare and precious to be born a human being, how does the vastly increasing human population on the planet explain this?
There are many other species that have gone extinct on earth let alone other planes of existence.....it is a good thing after all because those who are up and coming have a chance to see reality and learn to become a better being and improve oneself.....in the end, does it really matter?

Surely what is more important is have we, ourself solve our very own problems here in this existence?.....is this not a more important focus point? or are we going to be influenced by other things around us.....by our very own perception.....which are not real?.....so what is the purpose anyway?.....what are we really trying to "achieve" in the end?