Did the Buddha have a temple or have temple

Exploring Theravāda's connections to other paths - what can we learn from other traditions, religions and philosophies?
John C. Kimbrough

Did the Buddha have a temple or have temple

Post by John C. Kimbrough » Thu Mar 29, 2012 11:53 pm

My first question is Did the Buddha have a temple or have temples built during his lifetime??????

nowheat

Re: Did the Buddha have a temple or have temple

Post by nowheat » Fri Mar 30, 2012 2:18 am

John C. Kimbrough wrote:My first question is Did the Buddha have a temple or have temples built during his lifetime??????
I'm not sure how you're defining "temple".

At any rate, there has been very little archeological evidence unearthed from the period -- mostly bits of jars and punched coins survive. Stupas and dormitories have been found in the area from later periods, but I believe the answer for during the Buddha's lifetime is "we don't know". The suttas provide descriptions of monks staying in one place during the rains -- the custom was to have a "rains retreat" when everyone in an area gathered together, during the monsoon when travel was difficult. Presumably the places they gathered had shelter from the weather. As the system developed it seems visitors came to them (as well as them continuing to go to their lay followers) so it would be likely there would at least be a common hall where talks would be held. Many such buildings are given names in the suttas, though a lot of those buildings are associated with other teachers, or just with the land.

But I haven't seen any evidence for anything that we would, nowadays, call "a temple" during the Buddha's life.

:namaste:

Ferox

Post by Ferox » Fri Mar 30, 2012 2:32 am

as far as I can tell the Buddha hung out in forests and traveled the land.. thats my kind of living :), I don't care much for temples. a nice abandoned hut in a forest under a tree is a good place to practice :P
-just one more being treading the ancient path of Dhamma-

pilgrim

Post by pilgrim » Fri Mar 30, 2012 3:10 am

I understand that during the Buddha's life, many temples or monasteries were donated to him and the sangha. From the description in the suttas, these were quite grand. you can google the names Veluvana, Jetavana, Pubbarama. There are other lesser known ones..