Human re-births

Exploring Theravāda's connections to other paths. What can we learn from other traditions, religions and philosophies?
Nyana

Re: Human re-births

Post by Nyana » Thu Mar 22, 2012 7:09 am

kirk5a wrote:
vinasp wrote: Your # 2 is "visible here and now" and can be verified by you.

Good luck trying to verify your # 1

In Buddhism it is always a matter of seeing and knowing directly and
for yourself, and not about believing.
That the Dhamma can be verified, does not necessarily mean that we are currently actually able to verify that. If we are not yet ariya, there has been no such verification. It remains that "it can be" verified, but still, it has not yet been verified. We are in a position of taking that Dhamma on faith (faith follower), or be in agreement with his teachings after "pondering with a modicum of discernment." (Dhamma follower). Which is entirely appropriate and necessary.
(see http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka ... .than.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;)

However, #1 also CAN BE verified, for one with the skills required to verify it. It is one of the "higher knowledges."
"Monks, for one in whom mindfulness immersed in the body is cultivated, developed, pursued, handed the reins and taken as a basis, given a grounding, steadied, consolidated, & well-undertaken, ten benefits can be expected. Which ten?
[8] "He recollects his manifold past lives (lit: previous homes), i.e., one birth, two births, three births, four, five, ten, twenty, thirty, forty, fifty, one hundred, one thousand, one hundred thousand, many aeons of cosmic contraction, many aeons of cosmic expansion, many aeons of cosmic contraction & expansion, [recollecting], 'There I had such a name, belonged to such a clan, had such an appearance. Such was my food, such my experience of pleasure & pain, such the end of my life. Passing away from that state, I re-arose there. There too I had such a name, belonged to such a clan, had such an appearance. Such was my food, such my experience of pleasure & pain, such the end of my life. Passing away from that state, I re-arose here.' Thus he remembers his manifold past lives in their modes & details.
And not only that, the detailed instructions for attaining the higher knowledges are available to read on the internet. Ha! That's pretty incredible. Buddhism seems to have no secrets at all. They're in the Visudhimagga.
:goodpost:

Indeed.

Spiny O'Norman

Re: Human re-births

Post by Spiny O'Norman » Thu Mar 22, 2012 9:39 am

vinasp wrote: In Buddhism it is always a matter of seeing and knowing directly and
for yourself, and not about believing.
Not in all schools of Buddhism. ;)

Spiny