Can you forgive someone yet seek justice against them?

Exploring Theravāda's connections to other paths - what can we learn from other traditions, religions and philosophies?
Ervin

Can you forgive someone yet seek justice against them?

Post by Ervin »

I was just wandering. Can you say(and actually do) that you have forgiven someone but then go to the police or other authority and make a complaint against them for something that they have done to you or someone else.

I would say that the only way you can achieve that is if you do it for the reasons of helping them and you. If you do it purely out if revenge then you have not forgiven. Then you are just trying to hurt in return. By helping others, I would say is helping your self, also you might free yourself from some sort of injustice that's ongoing.

Thoughts?

Thanks
Alexei

Re: Can you forgive someone yet seek justice against them?

Post by Alexei »

"forgiveness is one thing, reconciliation is something else" http://www.accesstoinsight.org/lib/auth ... ation.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Ervin

Post by Ervin »

Peace. Thanks Alexei, that's preaty good stuf you gave link to. I want to invite you and everyone else to read my post in personal experience section under name" Proof of some sort of a karmic system".

In that story wich is on the Free minds forum for wich I have given a link you can see how going to the police, telling them about stuff nfessing that I have done in the past years ago has helped me.

Thanks
Bhikkhu Pesala

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

You might report someone to the police for a serious crime like fraud or assault, not to get even with them, but to stop them harming others. If you have forgiven them, there may be no vindictiveness at all, just compassion for their future potential victims.
BlogPāli FontsIn This Very LifeBuddhist ChroniclesSoftware (Upasampadā: 24th June, 1979)
Goofaholix

Post by Goofaholix »

I think forgiveness is about not allowing it to get a hold on your and continually hurt you, holding a grudge doesn't hurt the grudgee it hurts the grudger.

Justice is about teaching a lesson, if a lesson is not taught then the person who did wrong will think it's ok to do it again and again.

So I think the short answer is yes.
Pronouns (no self / not self)
“Peace is within oneself to be found in the same place as agitation and suffering. It is not found in a forest or on a hilltop, nor is it given by a teacher. Where you experience suffering, you can also find freedom from suffering. Trying to run away from suffering is actually to run toward it.”
― Ajahn Chah