Tantric Theravada?

Exploring Theravāda's connections to other paths - what can we learn from other traditions, religions and philosophies?
Dorje Shedrub

Re: Tantric Theravada?

Post by Dorje Shedrub » Tue Jun 12, 2018 7:27 am

Grigoris wrote:
Fri Jun 08, 2018 7:55 am
DooDoot wrote:
Fri Jun 08, 2018 7:32 am
Grigoris wrote:
Thu Jun 07, 2018 7:04 am
Had an interesting time tracking down Tantric Theravada teachers in Bangkok.
This seems to be equating "Thailand" with "Theravada". Religion in Thailand is very diverse.
I am not trying to do anything of the sort, I am just using Thailand as an example of a Theravada country. Many of the heterodox practices in Thailand came from Cambodia, which would seem to imply that Cambodian Theravada is not all that orthodox either.

Actually, orthodoxy is generally a (limiting) mental concept that rarely has a basis in reality.
Ancient Cambodia was ruled by Hindu, Mahayana, and Theravada kings. Cambodian lay Theravada Buddhists mix what they call Brahma religion with Buddhism, and also a bit of shamanistic healing. Educated monks know this but manage to deal with it. Healing and certain ceremonies are conducted by healers called Kru Khmer, but they still practice Theravada and likely were monks at one time. I heard lots of ghost stories when I lived among the Khmer. Thai and Cambodian Buddhism are so similar, I would not be surprised if this also applies to Thailand.
Cambodian Buddhism exists side-by-side with, and to some extent intermingles with, pre-Buddhist animism and Brahman practices. Most Cambodians, whether or not they profess to be Buddhists (or Muslims), believe in a rich supernatural world. When ill, or at other times of crisis, or to seek supernatural help, Cambodians may enlist the aid of a practitioner who is believed to be able to propitiate or obtain help from various spirits. Local spirits are believed to inhabit a variety of objects, and shrines to them may be found in houses, in Buddhist temples, along roads, and in forests.[37]
source
DS

gavesako

Post by gavesako » Thu Jul 12, 2018 6:40 pm

The northern Shan (Thai Yai) monk Kruba Boonchum has recently become more famous following his accurate prediction that 13 boys trapped in a cave will soon be found alive and well. He performed a ceremony to "open the cave" and is widely respected in northern Thailand and Burma. He also has connections to Bhutan and practices in a similar way as Tibetan monks do.

https://www.diri.ac.nz/discover/kruba-boonchum/

https://www.irrawaddy.com/news/burma/mo ... ntion.html

https://www.irrawaddy.com/news/burma/th ... found.html
Bhikkhu Gavesako
Kiṃkusalagavesī anuttaraṃ santivarapadaṃ pariyesamāno... (MN 26)

Access to Insight - Theravada texts
Ancient Buddhist Texts - Translations and history of Pali texts
Dhammatalks.org - Sutta translations

mikenz66

Post by mikenz66 » Thu Jul 12, 2018 8:34 pm

Chatter moved or deleted. This thread is for serious discussion of tantric practices in a Theravada context.

:heart:
Mike