Metta

Exploring Theravāda's connections to other paths - what can we learn from other traditions, religions and philosophies?
headless

Metta

Post by headless »

Hi all,

I seem to think that 'sending metta' is nothing more than using one's thoughts, that's all.
Ben

Re: Metta

Post by Ben »

Everything we think, everything we say and everything we do is no more than using our thoughts.
kind regards,

Ben
“No lists of things to be done. The day providential to itself. The hour. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes.”
- Cormac McCarthy, The Road

Learn this from the waters:
in mountain clefts and chasms,
loud gush the streamlets,
but great rivers flow silently.
- Sutta Nipata 3.725

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR

e: [email protected]..
headless

Post by headless »

Ben wrote:Everything we think, everything we say and everything we do is no more than using our thoughts.
kind regards,

Ben
Yeah. But the suttas seem to attribute special powers to the sending of Metta. See http://www.accesstoinsight.org/lib/auth ... 5.html#ch8" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Since I figure sending Metta is only a thought process, I don't see why it's so special.
Zom

Post by Zom »

Very good and interesting topic indeed.
I've been thinking about Brahma-viharas (that include metta) for a long time. It seems to me they are very similar to jhana, but I don't understand how to practise them correctly. I doubt that modern interpertations of this practice are correct (I don't mean they are harmful or useless, I just say that, in my opinion, the original brahmavihara practice was something different). Alas, it seems there are no details about this practice in the suttas except some standard definitions :thinking:

There is an idea, that brahmaviharas (just like kasinas) are to be practised after you gain at least 1st jhana.
PeterB

Post by PeterB »

Neither Kasina practice nor the Brahma Viharas have any relevance to Jnana states at all.
Zom

Post by Zom »

There are passages in canon that, as I see it, indicate that they do.
For example, this sutta shows there is some interplay between jhanas and even arupajhanas and kasinas
http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka ... .than.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

And this one shows the interplay between jhanas and brahmaviharas:
http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka ... .than.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
PeterB

Post by PeterB »

The practices as taught by those who are experienced in it , make no reference to Jnana states at all.
Whatever interpretations are made of translations of suttas.
I was first taught Kasina by a venerable and ancient monk more than thirty years ago. who had learned from his teacher, and who was at pains to distance such practice from supposed Jnanic states.
As is often the case there is the banter and chitchat of online discussion about translations of translations...and then there is the actual reality of practices as actually practiced by the living tradition.
Zom

Post by Zom »

Buddha said to compare all "teachings from teachers (no matter how acknowledged they are)" with suttas and vinaya.
That is my approach to follow this his advice, since "living tradition" can be wrong.
Zom

Post by Zom »

This sutta says, that practice of:

- metta leads to 1st rupa-jhana state after death
- compassion leads to 2nd rupa-jhana state after death
- appreciation leads to 3rd rupa-jhana state after death
- equanimity leads to 4th rupa-jhana state after death

And this sutta is similar, but there instead of 4 brahmaviharas we find 4 jhanas (leading to the same result after death):
Last edited by Zom on Mon Oct 17, 2011 6:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PeterB

Post by PeterB »

Zom wrote:Buddha said to compare all "teachings from teachers (no matter how acknowledged they are)" with suttas and vinaya.
That is my approach to follow this his advice, since "living tradition" can be wrong.
Good luck with that..
PeterB

Post by PeterB »

Zom wrote:This sutta says, that practice of:

- metta leads to 1st rupa-jhana state after death
- compassion leads to 2nd rupa-jhana state after death
- appreciation leads to 3rd rupa-jhana state after death
- equanimity leads to 4th rupa-jhana state after death

And this sutta is similar, but there instead of 4 brahmaviharas we find 4 jhanas (leading to the same result after death):
I have not the slightest interest in speculation about what might or might not happen after death...
I suspect that your view and my view of Dhamma are diametrically opposed...And mine is not postulated on translations of suttas whose connection to the Buddha is tenuous at best.
It is instead posited on the experiential teachings of those who show the fruits in THIS life.

All good wishes to you.

:anjali:
cooran

Post by cooran »

headless wrote:Hi all,

I seem to think that 'sending metta' is nothing more than using one's thoughts, that's all.
Hello headless,

This thread may be of interest:
The power of metta (Classical Theravada version)
http://www.dhammawheel.com/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=1643" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

with metta
Chris
---The trouble is that you think you have time---
---Worry is the Interest, paid in advance, on a debt you may never owe---
---It's not what happens to you in life that is important ~ it's what you do with it ---
Otsom

Post by Otsom »

Last edited by Otsom on Thu Feb 09, 2012 11:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
PeterB

Post by PeterB »

A fair point and i would have been more accurate if I said that the teaching of metta by experienced teachers is frequently not in association with Jnanic states, rather than implying that metta is never taught in association with those states...
I have been on several Metta retreats with among others Ajahn Sumedho and Ajahn Munindo and no reference at all was made to the Jnanas.

I actually think that most talk about Jnanic states by most people is fantasy anyway....but thats a whole nother subject... :o
Kenshou

Post by Kenshou »

Would you happen to be Sanghamitta using PeterB's account or something? She often mistyped "jhana" as "jnana", which isn't a problem, but I couldn't help but notice, and I don't recall Peter making that little mistake.