adi sankhara and jhana

Exploring Theravāda's connections to other paths - what can we learn from other traditions, religions and philosophies?
confusedlayman

adi sankhara and jhana

Post by confusedlayman »

I never heard a story that adi sankhara had jhana or any deep meditation. he is more of logical and intellectual person and good at debate because of clear mind of maintaing precepts like celebacy.

If he had jhana, it wont be more than 2nd or max 3rd.

Anyone has any thoughts?
Find a tree and practice jhana or dont regret later- Buddha
Something exist, dont exist, both exist and non exist, neither exist nor dont exist .. all these four possibilities are wrong- Nagarjuna
Find a dhamma companion or roam alone like rhinoceros in the wild- Buddha
If you are not happy even after following 8NP then you are doing it wrong- CL (confused layman)

Ceisiwr

Re: adi sankhara and jhana

Post by Ceisiwr »

I believe Adi Sankhara taught Jnana Yoga. This is where the mediator continually askes "what am I" with the aid of "neti neti" until there is a realisation of Atman/Brahman. From what I can tell it is not the same as the 4 Jhanas as taught by the Buddha. It seems more along the lines of an intellectual exercise as opposed to the absorption of the Jhanas.
“For that is false, bhikkhu, which has a deceptive nature, and that is true which has an undeceptive nature—Nibbāna. Therefore a bhikkhu possessing this truth possesses the supreme foundation of truth. For this, bhikkhu, is the supreme noble truth, namely, Nibbāna, which has an undeceptive nature.” MN 140