Is paññā, prajñā or prāṇa ?

Exploring Theravāda's connections to other paths - what can we learn from other traditions, religions and philosophies?
ToVincent

Is paññā, prajñā or prāṇa ?

Post by ToVincent »

प्राण prāṇa [act. prāṇ]
Life (RV.)

प्राण् prāṇ [pra-an]
- to breathe (RV. AV. ŚBr. Up.) ;
- to live, animate AV.
Desid. [ prāṇiṇiṣati ]: to desire to live (breathe).

√ अन् an
- to breathe, to live.

प्र pra
Intensely

_______

In which case,

Nibbana means "The knowledge beyond [the bliss (ka) of] breath ".

निर्वाण nirvāṇa

निस् nis (var. nir, niś, niṣ, niḥ)
Beyond.

वा √ vā
to blow (RV. )

ण ṇa
knowledge

______

Cetovimutti is the liberation of citta through samadhi (see intro & notes https://justpaste.it/5x298) - and the liberation from citta is paññāvimutti.
And Nibbāna is beyond.

In this world, there are many people acting and yearning for the Mara's world; some for the Brahma's world; and very few for the Unborn.
JamesTheGiant

Re: Is paññā, prajñā or prāṇa ?

Post by JamesTheGiant »

You can't determine the meaning of a word by seeing its parts.
The meaning of a word is related to the parts, but often it has profoundly different meaning, especially with something as complex as the concept of Nibbana.
Basically the meaning of Nibbana cannot be understood by anyone until they've experienced it by becoming a Stream Enterer.
Spiny Norman

Post by Spiny Norman »

ToVincent wrote: Tue Dec 11, 2018 8:09 pm Nibbana means "The knowledge beyond [the bliss (ka) of] breath ".
I suspect this another example of pre-Buddhist ideas being reformulated.
Buddha save me from new-agers!
Volo

Post by Volo »

It's not even driving the meaning from the parts. These parts have nothing to do with the word in question. It is like to derive the word "thinking" from "thin + king".
ToVincent

Post by ToVincent »

As far as Nibbāna is concerned:

निर्वाण nirvāṇa [agt. nirvā]
निर्वा nirvā [nis-vā]
निस् nis (var. nir, niś, niṣ, niḥ)
√ वा vā

nirvāṇo 'vāte (= nirvāṇaḥ a-vāte)
Aṣṭādhyāyī 8, 2, 50.0

Pretty instructive:
https://archive.org/download/VasuAstadh ... s58_201803
Please read before answering (chaper 2, #50)

I know that I am lousy with grammar, but Pāṇini seems good. :smile:
In this world, there are many people acting and yearning for the Mara's world; some for the Brahma's world; and very few for the Unborn.
JamesTheGiant

Post by JamesTheGiant »

ToVincent wrote: Wed Dec 12, 2018 9:14 pm
https://archive.org/download/VasuAstadh ... s58_201803
Please read before answering (chaper 2, #50)
That's an excellent way to make sure nobody disagrees with you. Make them download a 61 megabyte PDF from an archive, and read before answering. :shrug:
ToVincent

Post by ToVincent »

JamesTheGiant wrote: Wed Dec 12, 2018 11:10 pm
That's an excellent way to make sure nobody disagrees with you. Make them download a 61 megabyte PDF from an archive, and read before answering. :shrug:
13 MB download (chapter 8 only) :
https://archive.org/download/ashtadhyay ... hyayi8.pdf

Summary (screenshot) is here:
https://i.imgur.com/XaxkJCq_d.jpg?maxwi ... ity=medium

And text in IAST is here:
http://kjc-sv013.kjc.uni-heidelberg.de/ ... eID=440894
Click on the yellow sentence for details.
atipattoh

Post by atipattoh »

ToVincent wrote: Tue Dec 11, 2018 8:09 pm Cetovimutti is the liberation of citta through samadhi (see intro & notes https://justpaste.it/5x298) - and the liberation from citta is paññāvimutti.
And Nibbāna is beyond.
Is paññā, thinking - > learning - > mental development (sammasamadhi) , a kind of defilement that you need to get liberated from, is that what paññāvimutti means?
ToVincent

Post by ToVincent »

Let me please, reformulate my question.

Usually, prajñā is considered and translated as "wisdom". Which does not make much sense with the texts. Or at least, does it belong to the usual vagueness, that is proper to the establishment's conceptual jargon.

The question is: "is prajñā prāṇa?" - Is prajñā the ultimate knowledge of prāṇa?
Is paññā the prajñā of prāṇa ?

This does make more sense with such concepts like Ana-pana-sati; or generally with Indian philosophy at large.
Volo

Post by Volo »

ToVincent wrote: Thu Dec 13, 2018 1:16 pm The question is: "is prajñā prāṇa?" - Is prajñā the ultimate knowledge of prāṇa?
No.
No.
This does make more sense with such concepts like Ana-pana-sati; or generally with Indian philosophy at large.
prajñā (paññā) is from the root jñā (to know), prāṇa (pāṇa) is from the root an (to breath). They are not related, they just have the same prefix pra.
ToVincent

Post by ToVincent »

Volovsky wrote: Thu Dec 13, 2018 2:13 pm prajñā (paññā) is from the root jñā (to know), prāṇa (pāṇa) is from the root an (to breath). They are not related, they just have the same prefix pra.
That I know.
This is why I reformulated my question.

The reformulated question is therefore: "Is the knowledge that prajñā is all about, is about prāṇa ?

In other words

My original question (Is paññā, prajñā or prāṇa?) was meant to be understood as: is paññā "wisdom (?)" - or is paññā the ([ultimate] knowledge of) breath (आन āna / अपान apāna [apa-āna] = Āna-apāna = Ānāpāna; as in Ānāpānasati) ?
Volovsky wrote: Thu Dec 13, 2018 2:13 pm- The question is: "is prajñā prāṇa?" - Is prajñā the ultimate knowledge of prāṇa?
- No.
Volovsky wrote: Thu Dec 13, 2018 2:13 pm- Is paññā the prajñā of prāṇa ?
- No.

If your categorical answers, (No/No,) are as good as your answer on nibbāna:
viewtopic.php?f=16&t=33219&p=494797&sid ... fa#p494699
To which I answered here (and further down):
viewtopic.php?f=16&t=33219&p=494797&sid ... fa#p494725
Allow me to continue musing about all this; and particularly on the meaning of "wisdom (?).
If you don't mind.
Virgo

Post by Virgo »

Hi ToVincent,
ToVincent wrote: Thu Dec 13, 2018 1:16 pm Let me please, reformulate my question.

Usually, prajñā is considered and translated as "wisdom". Which does not make much sense with the texts. Or at least, does it belong to the usual vagueness, that is proper to the establishment's conceptual jargon.

The question is: "is prajñā prāṇa?" - Is prajñā the ultimate knowledge of prāṇa?

We have ancient explanations of paññā preserved in the texts such as this one from the Atthasalini:

"Understanding has the penetration of intrinsic nature, unfaltering penetration as its characteristic, like the penetration of an arrow shot by a skilled archer; illumination of the object as its function, as it were a lamp; non perplexity as its proximate cause, as it were a good guide in the forest."

The breath is a subtle rupa which paññā can use as an object of insight or as an object of tranquility (like the other 39 subjects).

There is no other relation beyond that which I am aware of.

Best,

Kevin
ToVincent

Post by ToVincent »

Virgo wrote: Thu Dec 13, 2018 5:13 pm Hi ToVincent,

We have ancient explanations of paññā preserved in the texts such as this one from the Atthasalini:

"Understanding has the penetration of intrinsic nature, unfaltering penetration as its characteristic, like the penetration of an arrow shot by a skilled archer; illumination of the object as its function, as it were a lamp; non perplexity as its proximate cause, as it were a good guide in the forest."

The breath is a subtle rupa which paññā can use as an object of insight or as an object of tranquility (like the other 39 subjects).
Then wouldn't assāsapassāsa, which is prāṇa, be the best nimitta, the best efficient cause, to relate to the material cause that is ānāpāna.
The cause that is also the effect of the ultimate starter of paṭiccasamuppāda that is Ignorance.

Assāsa [Sk. āśvāsa - ā-√ śvas ]
- to breath in.
- To cause to take breath Suśr.

Passāsa [fr. pa+śvas]
- to breathe out.

Why then bother with the other 39 objects, when you can train (ānāpānasati) on the yoniso of them all; on the most intrinsic of them all.
Volo

Post by Volo »

ToVincent wrote: Thu Dec 13, 2018 3:34 pm If your categorical answers, (No/No,) are as good as your answer on nibbāna:
I explained my categorical answers. The words are not related, they are comming from different roots. I cannot prohibit you anything, but such etymologies don't help to understand the meaning of the word, and only confusing. But anyway I leave you to do what you want. :meditate:
ToVincent

Post by ToVincent »

Volovsky wrote: Thu Dec 13, 2018 11:13 pm
ToVincent wrote: Thu Dec 13, 2018 3:34 pm If your categorical answers, (No/No,) are as good as your answer on nibbāna:
I explained my categorical answers. The words are not related, they are comming from different roots. I cannot prohibit you anything, but such etymologies don't help to understand the meaning of the word, and only confusing. But anyway I leave you to do what you want. :meditate:
https://i.imgur.com/XaxkJCq_d.jpg?maxwi ... ity=medium
(see above post)

Then I suppose that in the Pāṇini vs. Volovsky case, Volovsky has won.