Conscious Realism - Hoffman and view on reality

Exploring Theravāda's connections to other paths. What can we learn from other traditions, religions and philosophies?
JMGinPDX

Conscious Realism - Hoffman and view on reality

Postby JMGinPDX » Thu Mar 16, 2017 10:22 pm

Has this treatise been posted here before? If so I'd appreciate a link; I couldn't locate it.
If not, I find this to be a fascinating concept validating the Buddhist point of view on reality - I can contemplate anatta and anicca just fine, but having a modern scientific perspective on it is very helpful for my practical mind.

http://www.cogsci.uci.edu/~ddhoff/ConsciousRealism2.pdf

Way~Farer

Re: Conscious Realism - Hoffman and view on reality

Postby Way~Farer » Fri Mar 17, 2017 3:16 am

Em, you say you can't locate it, and post a link to it!

I have been perusing Donald Hoffman's various papers and video interviews. There's a really nice journalistic piece on him in The Atlantic Monthly.

Actually, the anti-realist aspect of his philosophy is much more like Yogācāra than Theravada. But, the issue is that all of Hoffman's work is predicated on evolutionary theory, i.e. that perception is conditioned in such a way as to promote the transmission of the genome. Or at least, that's my reading of it. So it's anti-realist, but I don't think in such a way that has much relevance for Buddhism.

JMGinPDX

Re: Conscious Realism - Hoffman and view on reality

Postby JMGinPDX » Fri Mar 17, 2017 2:58 pm

Way~Farer wrote:Em, you say you can't locate it, and post a link to it!

I have been perusing Donald Hoffman's various papers and video interviews. There's a really nice journalistic piece on him in The Atlantic Monthly.

Actually, the anti-realist aspect of his philosophy is much more like Yogācāra than Theravada. But, the issue is that all of Hoffman's work is predicated on evolutionary theory, i.e. that perception is conditioned in such a way as to promote the transmission of the genome. Or at least, that's my reading of it. So it's anti-realist, but I don't think in such a way that has much relevance for Buddhism.

I meant I couldn't locate any thread here on Dhamma Wheel referencing Hoffman :)
Thanks for the link, I'll check it out.
The idea that consciousness existed first and that conscious agents create the material world, rather than the other way around, seemed to me supportive of the Buddha's teachings. I'll have to investigate more, thanks for your input!

Return to “Connections to Other Paths”