Wat Dhammakaya

Some topics tend to get heated and go off track in unwholesome ways quite quickly. The "hot topics" sub-forum is a place where such topics may be moved so that each post must be manually approved by moderator before it will become visible to members.
Turmeric

Re: Wat Dhammakaya

Postby Turmeric » Fri Feb 24, 2017 7:01 am

samseva wrote:Now, please consider the following:

The Buddha preached generosity, giving alms and donating requisites.
    The Buddha didn't go around teaching lay followers to give gold and silver, or having lay followers do this.

Generosity and giving are probably very much less than 5% of what the Buddha taught, as well as of importance.
    Generosity and giving wasn't a large/major part of his teachings—and donating gold and silver was not at all what he taught.

The Buddha and the monks that followed him followed the laws of the land. They modified their behaviours and even made numerous Vinaya rules—as well as including aspects to most Vinaya rules—to live according to the people around them.
    The Buddha didn't have issues with the law, nor did he flee the authorities. There were no monetary scandals, no political scandals, nor scandals of land ownership associated with him.

The Buddha encouraged simplicity and even austerity.
    The Buddha and the monks that followed him didn't amass large fortunes of gold and silver, and they didn't live in huge and very luxurious monasteries.

You use money to run the v-star project to help thousands of children. You use money to create Buddhist movies and Buddhist music for the school children. You use money to build a giant monastery which attracts 3 million people to practice the religion. You use money to propagate the religion to other countries. You use money to run the worlds only all buddhist television channel. You use money to ordain 10,000 monks twice yearly. The ordination of one single monk can cost 50-100 thousand baht. If every monk lived up to your ideal of living in a shack, eating only two pieces of rice every week, in the forest, then the religion would just die. Then the people in society would be stuck in suffering forever. Money is good. A giant temple for attracting people to practice the religion is good. Comfort and a safe place to meditate is good.

dhammafriend

Postby dhammafriend » Fri Feb 24, 2017 7:44 am

Some random thoughts and learnings I've gleaned from this thread so far:

1. It's interesting to see the #TrueBuddhists tap dance their way around the obvious abuse and violations of Thai citizens, just because they disagree on their practice of buddha dhamma.

2. It's also interesting to see the idea of "unbiased sources" being swung about like glow-in-the-dark rosary beads. This spurious notion rests on the idea that there are news sources that are ideologically neutral. Good luck with that.

3. Metta and Karuna only extends to people we like and agree with.

4. People who we don't agree with, do not deserve a fair trial, but rather to be spirited away and most likely...

5. Wat Phra Dhammakaya controls EVERYTHING. The news, the weather, meal plans, train schedules, you name it. They control it.

6. Something is true because someone says it is.

7. Monks, apparently, are not part of a complex economic system supported by laypeople. They live on nuts and berries that fall from trees.

8. When it comes to Wat Phra Dhammakaya, ALL accusations are gospel TRUTH, until...

Moderators, please inform me of any edits.
Metta
Dhammafriend

Natthi me saranam annam buddho me saranam varam
For me there is no other refuge, the Buddha is my excellent refuge.
Etena saccavajjena vaddheyyam satthu-sasane
By the utterance of this truth, may I grow in the Master’s Way.

DMN

Postby DMN » Fri Feb 24, 2017 2:53 pm

I'm attempting to research the links between Dhammakaya and Ma Ba Tha and most notably the leader Ashin Wirathu can someone provide solid proof of a definite link please?

If I can explain, I am a Buddhist and follower of Dhammakaya. I have kept revisiting this thread with interest. I am not in Thailand so I only know current circumstances of Wat Phra Dhammakaya from the media and Thai temple staff. I was not aware of any link between Ashin Wirathu and Dhammakaya until he organised a demonstration in support of Dhammakaya. The media states, amongst other alleged things, that Ashin Wirathu received an award from Dhammakaya. I only know what the media are telling me and I do not fully trust the media. My position on the media is that a lot of media organisations worldwide are biassed and I think that it is very hard to ascertain whether a newspaper report is accurate or not. I am not taking Dhammakay's line of what it is saying about media organisations over in Thailand I say this from my own point of view. I cannot fully establish what the true relationship is, if any, between Ashin Wirathu (Ma Ba Tha) and Dhammakaya. I need to know with complete certainty if there is a definite link. I hope people who are reading this are also reading between the lines and have figured out that I must know if there is a definite link then this is a game changer for me!

Return to “Hot Topics”