Do you know the story of the mystery photo?

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism
Piyadhammo Bhikkhu

Do you know the story of the mystery photo?

Post by Piyadhammo Bhikkhu » Sun Sep 04, 2011 9:32 am

i have been fascinated with the picture in the attachment since the occasion of my novice ordination in 1987. the image stood to the left and i couldn't really figure it out but it pulled me in.
later i heard that an english man took a photo of the bo-tree in bodhgaya and this is what emerged from the negative. some reports said that he had either some inspiration in or doubt about buddhism.
the image continues to fascinate me and so i wanted to see if anybody knows something definite about its story. also if anybody has a good copy of it, i'd be grateful if you could pm me. the one i have is just a few kb but i'd love to make a good A% print for our new place with that image.
thanks for any help in advance, p
Attachments
Buddha Real.jpg
What happened?
Buddha Real.jpg (28.38 KiB) Viewed 1011 times

tiltbillings

Re: Do you know the story of the mystery photo?

Post by tiltbillings » Sun Sep 04, 2011 9:52 am

See: http://dhammawheel.com/viewtopic.php?f= ... 8&#p130651" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
>> Do you see a man wise [enlightened/ariya] in his own eyes? There is more hope for a fool than for him.<< -- Proverbs 26:12

This being is bound to samsara, kamma is his means for going beyond. -- SN I, 38.

“Of course it is happening inside your head, Harry, but why on earth should that mean that it is not real?” HPatDH p.723

tiltbillings

Post by tiltbillings » Sun Sep 04, 2011 9:55 am

and see this: http://dhammawheel.com/viewtopic.php?f= ... 1&#p112192" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
>> Do you see a man wise [enlightened/ariya] in his own eyes? There is more hope for a fool than for him.<< -- Proverbs 26:12

This being is bound to samsara, kamma is his means for going beyond. -- SN I, 38.

“Of course it is happening inside your head, Harry, but why on earth should that mean that it is not real?” HPatDH p.723

Piyadhammo Bhikkhu

scanty

Post by Piyadhammo Bhikkhu » Sun Sep 04, 2011 10:19 am

thanks a lot. i will - if somewhat reluctantly :) - watch the long video, but you wouldn't know where the larger picture is hanging, would you? or anything else about the artist or the mystery english man?
i'm not against the fake theory, btw, but i feel the evidence offered is a bit scanty on both sides...

Piyadhammo Bhikkhu

Post by Piyadhammo Bhikkhu » Sun Sep 04, 2011 12:42 pm

okay, i saw the larger painting. that does it... looks far less impressive with all the stuff around it... :)

altar

Post by altar » Sun Sep 04, 2011 1:14 pm

i adore it and it is and interesting. it is, perhaps, mona lisa like?im not so sure anymore.

pelletboy

Post by pelletboy » Mon Sep 05, 2011 5:39 am

Interesting, if it is supposed to be the real image of the Awakened One. Isn't the Awakened One supposed to be bald? Why are his images even in the statues in Thailand and in this picture have some sort of hair?

Nicro

Post by Nicro » Mon Sep 05, 2011 1:25 pm

pelletboy wrote: have some sort of hair?

I was about to make a thread asking this today. I would really like to know. Its odd.

Anyway, I think the picture just looks fake. And the Buddha achieved Parinibbana. How would he somehow still exist here at all, whether as a ghost or anything, if he is no longer a part of Samsara.

Sovatthika

Post by Sovatthika » Tue Oct 31, 2017 5:31 am

the image doesn't show for me (hi, bhante, this is birk)
"Just as the ocean has a single taste — that of salt — in the same way, this Dhamma-Vinaya has a single taste: that of release."
— Ud 5.5

retrofuturist
Site Admin

Post by retrofuturist » Tue Oct 31, 2017 8:20 am

Greetings,

I think from memory it was this picture...

Metta,
Paul. :)
"Do not force others, including children, by any means whatsoever, to adopt your views, whether by authority, threat, money, propaganda, or even education." - Ven. Thich Nhat Hanh

"The uprooting of identity is seen by the noble ones as pleasurable; but this contradicts what the whole world sees." (Snp 3.12)

"To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead" - Thomas Paine

Kim OHara

Post by Kim OHara » Tue Oct 31, 2017 11:50 am

:goodpost:
This post -
tiltbillings wrote:
Sun Sep 04, 2011 9:55 am
and see this: http://dhammawheel.com/viewtopic.php?f= ... 1&#p112192" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
- shows that you're right, Retro, and leads quickly to the origins of the image.
Go straight to it at http://wisdomquarterly.blogspot.com.au/ ... uddha.html

:coffee:
Kim