Reading the suttas is fun!

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism
alan

Re: Reading the suttas is fun!

Post by alan » Mon Jun 27, 2011 3:15 pm

The Beauty Queen is dancing!
http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka ... .than.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

adosa

Post by adosa » Fri Jul 01, 2011 12:30 am

Hi alan,

I don't know if it's fun but the Okkantisamyutta sure is encouraging.

The first is "The Eye" but they all follow the same theme with their definitions of a "faith-follower" and a "dhamma-follower". I have faith that a lot of the good people here fall into either category.

adosa

http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka ... .than.html
"To avoid all evil, to cultivate good, and to cleanse one's mind — this is the teaching of the Buddhas" - Dhammapada 183

alan

Post by alan » Fri Jul 01, 2011 4:47 am

Stop thief!
http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka ... .than.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
See what I mean? this is a fun sutta.

cooran

Post by cooran » Fri Jul 01, 2011 5:08 am

Hello alan,

Yes - and quite a 'deep' sutta as well.

with metta
Chris
---The trouble is that you think you have time---
---Worry is the Interest, paid in advance, on a debt you may never owe---
---It's not what happens to you in life that is important ~ it's what you do with it ---

phil

Post by phil » Tue Jul 12, 2011 12:45 am

I like your idea, Alan. The usual way of making Dhamma more palatable to newcomers is by introducing cozy elements that don't belong in Dhamma. Easing entry into the tipitika might help...

There are of course no silly suttas, but lots of silly characters. I like Potaliya in MN54. He is out strolling with an elegant parasol when he meets the Buddha, who has gone to the same park for his daily meditation. The Buddha invites Potaliya to have a seat for a talk (imagine that!) but because he is addressed as "householder" Potaliya, who believes he has cut off all worldly affairs by giving his fortune to his children, is miffed and refuses to answer. Happily he eventually gets to learn what cutting off worldly affairs really means.

His pomposity and absurd self-appraisal re the Dhamma is a good reminder. The sutta contains great similes to get at the danger of sensual pleasures. Indeed, until newcomers to Dhamma are ready to accept that sensual pleasures are dangerous according to the Dhamma, Buddhism will be a feelgood plaything...
Kammalakkhano , bhikkhave, bālo, kammalakkhano pandito, apadānasobhanī paññāti
(The fool is characterized by his/her actions/the wise one is characterized by his/her actions/Wisdom shines forth in behaviour.)
(AN 3.2 Lakkhana Sutta)

Ytrog

Post by Ytrog » Tue Jul 12, 2011 11:09 am

daverupa wrote:Aggi Sutta (SN 46.53).

This is the sort of delightful Sutta that comes of making a slog through the Samyutta Nikaya - helpfully encouraging advice that introduces the enlightenment factors as a foundation for ones daily practice.

:heart:
Sorry for going a bit off-topic here, but what is meant by "investigation-of-states"? Is this the same as vipassana?
Suffering is asking from life what it can never give you.
mindfulness, bliss and beyond (page 8) wrote:Do not linger on the past. Do not keep carrying around coffins full of dead moments
If you see any unskillful speech (or other action) from me let me know, so I can learn from it.

daverupa

Post by daverupa » Tue Jul 12, 2011 11:37 am

Ytrog wrote:
daverupa wrote:Aggi Sutta (SN 46.53).

This is the sort of delightful Sutta that comes of making a slog through the Samyutta Nikaya - helpfully encouraging advice that introduces the enlightenment factors as a foundation for ones daily practice.

:heart:
Sorry for going a bit off-topic here, but what is meant by "investigation-of-states"? Is this the same as vipassana?
It's dhamma vicaya.
  • "And how is it, bhikkhus, that by protecting oneself one protects others? By the pursuit, development, and cultivation of the four establishments of mindfulness. It is in such a way that by protecting oneself one protects others.

"And how is it, bhikkhus, that by protecting others one protects oneself? By patience, harmlessness, goodwill, and sympathy. It is in such a way that by protecting others one protects oneself.

- Sedaka Sutta [SN 47.19]

Ytrog

Post by Ytrog » Tue Jul 12, 2011 12:47 pm

I see, thanks :)
Suffering is asking from life what it can never give you.
mindfulness, bliss and beyond (page 8) wrote:Do not linger on the past. Do not keep carrying around coffins full of dead moments
If you see any unskillful speech (or other action) from me let me know, so I can learn from it.

wahooyeeha

Post by wahooyeeha » Thu Jul 14, 2011 12:29 am

I love the blind men being shown an elephant to see what it's like: http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka ... .than.html.

"'Now tell me, blind people, what the elephant is like.'

"The blind people who had been shown the head of the elephant replied, 'The elephant, your majesty, is just like a water jar.'

"Those who had been shown the ear of the elephant replied, 'The elephant, your majesty, is just like a winnowing basket.'

"Those who had been shown the tusk of the elephant replied, 'The elephant, your majesty, is just like an iron rod.'

"Those who had been shown the trunk of the elephant replied, 'The elephant, your majesty, is just like the pole of a plow.'

"Those who had been shown the body of the elephant replied, 'The elephant, your majesty, is just like a granary.'

"Those who had been shown the foot of the elephant replied, 'The elephant, your majesty, is just like a post.'

"Those who had been shown the hindquarters of the elephant replied, 'The elephant, your majesty, is just like a mortar.'

"Those who had been shown the tail of the elephant replied, 'The elephant, your majesty, is just like a pestle.'

"Those who had been shown the tuft at the end of the tail of the elephant replied, 'The elephant, your majesty, is just like a broom.'

"Saying, 'The elephant is like this, it's not like that. The elephant's not like that, it's like this,' they struck one another with their fists. That gratified the king.