Chanting suttas from memory from past life

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism
rowyourboat

Re: Chanting suttas from memory from past life

Post by rowyourboat » Fri Jun 10, 2011 11:29 pm

Hi PeterB,

Don't mistake right view for a 'revelation' type view you got to accept, or else.. As Daverupa said, it is possible to work with the supramundane one - in any case, very soon science will be telling you that you got to accept different beings in different dimensions... what next- rebirth? :tongue:

:anjali:
With Metta

Karuna
Mudita
& Upekkha

aflum

Post by aflum » Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:55 pm

Hi Matheesha,

Thank you for posting Dhammaruwan's chanting back in 2011. I so appreciate it!
You mentioned that you had filtered the recordings. I was wondering if you have unfiltered versions you are willing to share. I used to be an audio professional so I may have access to modern tools that can clean up the originals.

Thanks and with Metta and Gratitude,
Alan Flum

mikenz66

Post by mikenz66 » Mon Jul 01, 2019 7:56 pm

Bhikkhu Analayo's analysis of the chanting is interesting. His conclusion is that there are variations in the chanting from what the child could have read at the time.
https://wisdomexperience.org/wisdom-pod ... -hallisey/

:heart:
Mike

justindesilva

Post by justindesilva » Tue Jul 02, 2019 5:29 am

rowyourboat wrote:
Tue Jun 07, 2011 11:13 am
Really, this is good material for someone to do some research on! As someone who has been exposed to partite chanting all his life, I found this melody amazingly beautiful. I have never heard this before. This is as close to incontrovertible proof as I have come to, of rebirth.

With metta

Matheesha
I experienced a similar incident at my home as a visitor (teacher) ( about 40 age) started chanting pirith. Though we thought that he has gone off his mind , later found that he does it as and when he starts hearing an echo.
Though he was a sports instructor he later turned out to cure ailments by chanting pirith.
This is a true story that I experienced.

lostitude

Post by lostitude » Fri Jul 05, 2019 10:34 pm

In the Muslim world, it's not unheard of to have 6-year old kids who can recite the WHOLE Qur'an by heart. A child's memory is like a sponge, so if there is any particular feat in this story, I would not say it is the strength of this kid's memory or the lack of mistakes, because all this is pretfy common.
The divergences with current texts are much more interesting although, as Chownah pointed out, if we know he recites an older version then we do know that version, and saying that it's a lost or forgotten version is a contradiction in terms.

mikenz66

Post by mikenz66 » Fri Jul 05, 2019 10:41 pm

lostitude wrote:
Fri Jul 05, 2019 10:34 pm
The divergences with current texts are much more interesting although, as Chownah pointed out, if we know he recites an older version then we do know that version, and saying that it's a lost or forgotten version is a contradiction in terms.
I think Bhikkhu Analayo goes into this issue in detail in his book. I've only listened to the interviews, so I can't provide all of the details, but as I understand it, the point was that some of the chanting was different from modern texts, and more similar to parallels from schools that no longer exist. But I'd have to watch the whole video again, or read the book, to be sure.

:heart:
Mike

cappuccino

Post by cappuccino » Sat Jul 06, 2019 12:14 am

why would anyone need proof of rebirth