Chanting suttas from memory from past life

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism
rowyourboat

Chanting suttas from memory from past life

Post by rowyourboat » Sun May 29, 2011 3:43 pm

The best Pirith Chanting I heard was by a small boy call Dhammaruwan, which is something special. The recording quality is poor, but I tried my best to filter it and make it of better quality.

Dhammaruwan Story :
Dhammaruwan was born in a small village near Kandy , Sri Lanka in November, 1968. From the age of about two, before he could read or write , he spontaneously started to chant the ancient Buddhist scriptures in the original pali language , known only to a few scholar monks.

Each day, somewhere around two o'clock in the morning, after sitting in meditation with his adopted and devoted Buddhist foster father for about twenty to forty minutes, he would spontaneously start to chant pali suttas. On the Poya or lunar Observance day, he would sometimes chant for two hours.
Dhammaruwan's foster father started making amateur recording of the chanting and invited prominent scholar monk to listen. The monk verified that it was indeed the ancient pali language and the boy were chanting it in an ancient style which no longer existed in world.

Dhammacakka Suthra ( File size :13 MB )
Girimananda Suthra ( File Size : 10 MB)

Ven. Ananda requests help from the Lord Buddha because Ven. Girimananda had become very ill. The Lord Buddha teaches the ten contemplations to Ven. Ananda and tells him to go and pass them to Ven. Girimananda that he might be cured. And this was what happened.(A.v. 108 )

Bhojjhanga Piritha( File Size : 11 MB )

The Lord Buddha visits Ven. Maha Kassapa who was suffering from a painful illness and finding that the illness is improving teaches him the seven factors of enlightenment(Bhojjhanga). The Ven. Maha Kassapa delights in this teaching and is cured. This also occurred when. Ven. Maha Moggallana and Ven. MahaCunda are ill. (S.v. 79-81)

Maha Mangala, Rathana & Mettha Suthra (File Size : 9 MB)
http://www.pirith.org/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

With metta

Matheesha
With Metta

Karuna
Mudita
& Upekkha

Bhikkhu Pesala

Re: Chanting suttas from memory from past life

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala » Sun May 29, 2011 6:09 pm

Truly exceptional for anyone, let alone a seven-year-old boy. He pauses in all the right places, and recites full of pathos as the Sutta deserves. He certainly cannot be blamed for chanting in a way that contravenes the Buddha's instructions in the Gītassara Sutta.

I spotted a few minor variations with the Chatthasangāya text, which could serve as an interesting topic for study for those who can read the Sinhala Pali script.

In the first paragraph he recites: "Ete te, bhikkhave," instead of "Ete kho, bhikkhave.
Elsewhere he recites "Seyyathi idam" instead of "Seyyathidam" with sandhi.
At the end, he elides the sentence repeated by each of the devas:
“Etaṃ Bhagavatā bārāṇasiyaṃ isipatane migadāye anuttaraṃ dhammacakkaṃ pavattitaṃ, appaṭivattiyaṃ samaṇena vā brāhmaṇena vā devena vā mārena vā brahmunā vā kenaci vā lokasmi”nti.
However, he repeats the section, for each of the Brahma realms, not eliding them as in the Chattasangāyana text.
Paranimmitavasavattī devā … … Brahmakāyikā devā saddamanussāvesuṃ — “Etaṃ Bhagavatā bārāṇasiyaṃ isipatane migadāye anuttaraṃ dhammacakkaṃ pavattitaṃ appaṭivattiyaṃ samaṇena vā brāhmaṇena vā devena vā mārena vā brahmunā vā kenaci vā lokasmi”nti.
BlogPāli FontsIn This Very LifeBuddhist ChroniclesSoftware (Upasampadā: 24th June, 1979)

rowyourboat

Post by rowyourboat » Tue Jun 07, 2011 11:13 am

Really, this is good material for someone to do some research on! As someone who has been exposed to partite chanting all his life, I found this melody amazingly beautiful. I have never heard this before. This is as close to incontrovertible proof as I have come to, of rebirth.

With metta

Matheesha
With Metta

Karuna
Mudita
& Upekkha

Khalil Bodhi

Post by Khalil Bodhi » Tue Jun 07, 2011 11:23 am

Sadhu! Sadhu! Sadhu! It's both great proof and really beautiful. Anumodana Matheesha! :anjali:
To avoid all evil, to cultivate good, and to cleanse one's mind — this is the teaching of the Buddhas.
-Dhp. 183

Uposatha Observance Club:http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=1 ... 279&v=info
My Practice Blog:
http://khalilbodhi.wordpress.com

PeterB

Post by PeterB » Tue Jun 07, 2011 12:23 pm

I am going to sound a note of caution here. Prodigious feats by children are far from uncommon.

The historian Lord McCauley astonished his family be reciting lengthy passages from the Bible when he was three years old.
It transpired that he had taught himself to read UPSIDE DOWN while standing opposite his father during family Bible readings.....

Mozart when 14 years old performed an even more extraordinary feat. He was taken to the Sistine Chapel to hear Allegri's Miserere. At that time the Miserere was performed only in the Sistine chapel and only on wednesdays and fridays, and by Papal Decree no copies of the score were allowed out of the chapel...It is a piece of stunning complexity. Multiple voices and extraordinary contrapunctal passages for dozens of voices and instruments...

Mozart went to his father's hired apartment after ONE hearing....and wrote out the entire piece from memory for each voice and instrument in front of several witnesses...

I am not saying that this explains THIS boys feat. I am just saying that human prodigies are capable of extraordinary feats and we should be cautious in ascribing anything supernatural to them...

daverupa

Post by daverupa » Tue Jun 07, 2011 12:38 pm

Can he scare crows?
  • "And how is it, bhikkhus, that by protecting oneself one protects others? By the pursuit, development, and cultivation of the four establishments of mindfulness. It is in such a way that by protecting oneself one protects others.

"And how is it, bhikkhus, that by protecting others one protects oneself? By patience, harmlessness, goodwill, and sympathy. It is in such a way that by protecting others one protects oneself.

- Sedaka Sutta [SN 47.19]

chownah

Post by chownah » Tue Jun 07, 2011 2:36 pm

Rowyourboat,
You suggest further research into this. I have a specific topic for someone (perhaps you) to research. If the boy chants in an ancient manner that does not exist in the world today then how would someone today who has never heard this style recognize it as such?
chowah

rowyourboat

Post by rowyourboat » Wed Jun 08, 2011 8:44 pm

Funny - you 'naysayers' might want to think whether you world view is based on the Dhamma or Christianity/secularism. :smile:

with metta

Matheesha
With Metta

Karuna
Mudita
& Upekkha

Viscid

Post by Viscid » Wed Jun 08, 2011 8:57 pm

Well here's him now:

http://www.nirodhatrust.org/NT/Teachers ... _east.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.nirodhatrust.org/NT/Dhammaruwan_1.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

It's safer to think him a fraud, but it'd sure be neat if he wasn't.
"What holds attention determines action." - William James

Khalil Bodhi

Post by Khalil Bodhi » Wed Jun 08, 2011 9:02 pm

Regardless of the veracity of the claim (although I'm personally inclined to believe it) I have been listening to his rendering of the Dhammacakkha sutta repeatedly for the past few days. It's really beautiful and has inspired me to attempt to learn the sutta by heart in Pali. Metta.
To avoid all evil, to cultivate good, and to cleanse one's mind — this is the teaching of the Buddhas.
-Dhp. 183

Uposatha Observance Club:http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=1 ... 279&v=info
My Practice Blog:
http://khalilbodhi.wordpress.com

PeterB

Post by PeterB » Wed Jun 08, 2011 11:47 pm

Viscid wrote:Well here's him now:

http://www.nirodhatrust.org/NT/Teachers ... _east.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.nirodhatrust.org/NT/Dhammaruwan_1.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

It's safer to think him a fraud, but it'd sure be neat if he wasn't.
There are several other alternatives to either fraud or one who remembers past lives.

PeterB

Post by PeterB » Thu Jun 09, 2011 12:10 am

rowyourboat wrote:Funny - you 'naysayers' might want to think whether you world view is based on the Dhamma or Christianity/secularism. :smile:

with metta

Matheesha
So if someone does not have a view that accords with yours on this matter they are an eternalist or a nihilist.
That seems like a reasonable, non emotional, and thought through position.
If those are the choices I will take Christianity .

rowyourboat

Post by rowyourboat » Thu Jun 09, 2011 8:07 am

PeterB wrote:
rowyourboat wrote:Funny - you 'naysayers' might want to think whether you world view is based on the Dhamma or Christianity/secularism. :smile:

with metta

Matheesha
So if someone does not have a view that accords with yours on this matter they are an eternalist or a nihilist.
That seems like a reasonable, non emotional, and thought through position.
If those are the choices I will take Christianity .
Hi PeterB,

Interesting, so if someone doesn't believe in rebirth, they are either eternalists or annahilationists - yes, I think you are right.

With metta

Matheesha
With Metta

Karuna
Mudita
& Upekkha

PeterB

Post by PeterB » Thu Jun 09, 2011 8:17 am

Thank you for your frankness.
Now, does agnosticism or indifference to Rebirth count as unbelief ?
And does expressing caution about a particular claim to proof of Rebirth count as unbelief in general terms ?

daverupa

Post by daverupa » Thu Jun 09, 2011 11:31 am

PeterB wrote:Thank you for your frankness.
Now, does agnosticism or indifference to Rebirth count as unbelief ?
And does expressing caution about a particular claim to proof of Rebirth count as unbelief in general terms ?
The Kalamas know...
  • "And how is it, bhikkhus, that by protecting oneself one protects others? By the pursuit, development, and cultivation of the four establishments of mindfulness. It is in such a way that by protecting oneself one protects others.

"And how is it, bhikkhus, that by protecting others one protects oneself? By patience, harmlessness, goodwill, and sympathy. It is in such a way that by protecting others one protects oneself.

- Sedaka Sutta [SN 47.19]