Resourcefulness & environmentalism in Dhamma -suttas?

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism
fijiNut

Resourcefulness & environmentalism in Dhamma -suttas?

Post by fijiNut »

There is a particular sutta which I find particularly inspiring on where Ananda(or another monk) described how robes were to be used and recycled into smaller pieces (for foot rags, wipe clothe) until finally pounded pulp.
I can't seem to remember what the name of the sutta. Can somebody help me out on this?

Are there any other suttas that you find inspiring that relates to environmentalism/resourcefulness/conservation?

I am presenting a 45 min topic on this as part of a Buddhist workshop.

What I would like to do is to base the discussion on examples from life of the Buddha and/or his disciples or modern day examples of forest monks/lay persons etc so any feedback would be much appreciated.

Jhana4

Re: Resourcefulness & environmentalism in Dhamma -suttas?

Post by Jhana4 »

fijiNut wrote: Are there any other suttas that you find inspiring that relates to environmentalism/resourcefulness/conservation?
AN 5.177
PTS: A iii 208
Vanijja Sutta: Business (Wrong Livelihood)
translated from the Pali by
Thanissaro Bhikkhu
© 2001–2011
"Monks, a lay follower should not engage in five types of business. Which five? Business in weapons, business in human beings, business in meat, business in intoxicants, and business in poison.

"These are the five types of business that a lay follower should not engage in."
link

I don't know if there are many Buddhists who produce nuclear waste, livestock waste or other kinds of industrial pollution, but it is food for thought.
In reading the scriptures, there are two kinds of mistakes:
One mistake is to cling to the literal text and miss the inner principles.
The second mistake is to recognize the principles but not apply them to your own mind, so that you waste time and just make them into causes of entanglement.

Majjhima Patipada

Post by Majjhima Patipada »

What you seem to be referencing comes from the Vinaya Pitaka, paraphrased in the following:
http://www.palikanon.com/english/pali_names/u/udena.htm wrote:Udena himself does not seem to have been interested in religion. Once when [h]e discovered that the women of the court had given five hundred costly robes to Ananda, he was annoyed, but when in answer to his questions Ananda explained to him that nothing given to members of the Order was wasted, he was pleased and himself made a similar offering of robes to Ananda. Mentioned also in Vin.ii.291.
http://www.accesstoinsight.org/lib/authors/desilva/attitude.html wrote:Buddhism commends frugality as a virtue in its own right. Once Ananda explained to King Udena the thrifty economic use of robes by the monks in the following order. When new robes are received the old robes are used as coverlets, the old coverlets as mattress covers, the old mattress covers as rugs, the old rugs as dusters, and the old tattered dusters are kneaded with clay and used to repair cracked floors and walls.[16] Vin. II, 291
The above essay, "The Buddhist Attitude Towards Nature" by Lily de Silva, draws from a number of suttas and other canonical texts to make a case for respecting the natural world. Hope that helps.

Virgo

Post by Virgo »

fijiNut wrote:There is a particular sutta which I find particularly inspiring on where Ananda(or another monk) described how robes were to be used and recycled into smaller pieces (for foot rags, wipe clothe) until finally pounded pulp.
I can't seem to remember what the name of the sutta. Can somebody help me out on this?

Are there any other suttas that you find inspiring that relates to environmentalism/resourcefulness/conservation?

I am presenting a 45 min topic on this as part of a Buddhist workshop.

What I would like to do is to base the discussion on examples from life of the Buddha and/or his disciples or modern day examples of forest monks/lay persons etc so any feedback would be much appreciated.
The reason that robes are re-used is because of lobha, attachment which is a defilement. Buddhists are not meant to be attached. Therefore, they should be happy with what they have and be conservative, not waste. They shouldn't do things which increase attachment, which are the things that are truly evil because the world will keep spinning, the highest good is to eliminate your defilements and be detached from it.

Kevin
The Hunger Site

Virgo

Post by Virgo »

Jhana4 wrote:
fijiNut wrote: Are there any other suttas that you find inspiring that relates to environmentalism/resourcefulness/conservation?
AN 5.177
PTS: A iii 208
Vanijja Sutta: Business (Wrong Livelihood)
translated from the Pali by
Thanissaro Bhikkhu
© 2001–2011
"Monks, a lay follower should not engage in five types of business. Which five? Business in weapons, business in human beings, business in meat, business in intoxicants, and business in poison.

"These are the five types of business that a lay follower should not engage in."
link

I don't know if there are many Buddhists who produce nuclear waste, livestock waste or other kinds of industrial pollution, but it is food for thought.
There is no rule against having livestock which produce livestock waste. And having livestock that produce waste is not seen as dealing in poison within Buddhism. Are people wrong for raising animals that feed people?

Attachment comes in many forms. Attachment to regulating how many cattle one can have or how many miles they are allowed to drive is one. Instead the Buddhist should live with little detachments himself or herself.
Kevin
The Hunger Site