Preparing space

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism
echalon

Preparing space

Post by echalon »

In reading about Wicca, I noticed many ritual elements designed to create sacred space, to make the space and by extension the mind properly prepared for contemplation. This makes me wonder, what do you do to prepare your space and get yourself in the right frame of mind for meditation? For me, I've found chanting can help me to refocus from my day. Also, the act of setting up my temporary shrine helps to physically delineate my spiritual activities. What do others do to set the stage for their meditation or devotion practice?
daverupa

Re: Preparing space

Post by daverupa »

"There is the case where a monk, having gone to the wilderness, to the shade of a tree, or to an empty building, sits down folding his legs crosswise, holding his body erect, and setting mindfulness to the fore."

Preparing space isn't drawing down the moon or using a wand, it's solitude.
  • "And how is it, bhikkhus, that by protecting oneself one protects others? By the pursuit, development, and cultivation of the four establishments of mindfulness. It is in such a way that by protecting oneself one protects others.

"And how is it, bhikkhus, that by protecting others one protects oneself? By patience, harmlessness, goodwill, and sympathy. It is in such a way that by protecting others one protects oneself.

- Sedaka Sutta [SN 47.19]
Kim OHara

Post by Kim OHara »

daverupa wrote:"There is the case where a monk, having gone to the wilderness, to the shade of a tree, or to an empty building, sits down folding his legs crosswise, holding his body erect, and setting mindfulness to the fore."

Preparing space isn't drawing down the moon or using a wand, it's solitude.
Even better, it is getting into the right frame of mind - calm and focused: "setting mindfulness to the fore."
Routines can help a lot in achieving that - same time of day, same physical surroundings, same devotional pictures and statues, same introductory chants/prayers, or all of the above.
This thread - http://www.dhammawheel.com/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=1810 - shows what some of us do (or used to do - it's a bit old).
:namaste:
Kim
bodom

Post by bodom »

I like to pay homage to the Buddha, Dhamma and Sangha and recite the 5 precepts before beginning a sitting session.

:anjali:
Liberation is the inevitable fruit of the path and is bound to blossom forth when there is steady and persistent practice. The only requirements for reaching the final goal are two: to start and to continue. If these requirements are met there is no doubt the goal will be attained. This is the Dhamma, the undeviating law.

- BB