A Question on Stream-Entry and Non-Literal Rebirth

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism
Reductor

Re: A Question on Stream-Entry and Non-Literal Rebirth

Post by Reductor » Sun Jan 16, 2011 8:12 am

marcussorno wrote: Once again, for the record, I do also believe in literal rebirth. I just wanted to see the other side of the coin so-to-speak. I assume you were not directing that at me, but thought I would restate my position for clarity sake.
:namaste:
No, not at you. I'm just trying to keep my prose lively. :tongue:

marcussorno

Post by marcussorno » Sun Jan 16, 2011 8:21 am

thereductor wrote:
marcussorno wrote: Once again, for the record, I do also believe in literal rebirth. I just wanted to see the other side of the coin so-to-speak. I assume you were not directing that at me, but thought I would restate my position for clarity sake.
No, not at you. I'm just trying to keep my prose lively. :tongue:
Awesome. Quickly off-topic... I must say, for being new to this forum and this being my first thread (not counting my intro post) I am really loving it here!

Individual

Post by Individual » Mon Jan 17, 2011 7:23 pm

In my opinion, discussions like these on rebirth tend to fall under the four imponderables, with regard to inquiring into the specifics of kamma. They can also quickly become contentious.

In the absence of relating your question to a specific case ("With what action, is there what consequence?"), it's just mindless speculation with regard to a view of self.

Whether it's literal or metaphorical -- does it matter?

If rebirth is literal or not, how does that change your practice? How does that change how you see things or treat other people?

All it changes is how you frame the world.
The best things in life aren't things.

The Diamond Sutra