Paccekabuddhas

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism
theravada_guy

Paccekabuddhas

Post by theravada_guy » Fri Jan 14, 2011 2:43 am

To become a paccekabuddha, does one necessarily have to be a bodhisatta first?
With mettā,

TG

plwk

Re: Paccekabuddhas

Post by plwk » Fri Jan 14, 2011 3:19 am

See this and this

cooran

Post by cooran » Fri Jan 14, 2011 7:13 am

Hello theravada_guy, all,

Hope this is of interest:

The Paccekabuddha: A Buddhist Ascetic - A Study of the Concept of the Paccekabuddha in Pali Canonical and Commentarial Literature by Ria Kloppenborg
http://www.bps.lk/olib/wh/wh305-p.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Pacceka Buddha
http://what-buddha-said.net/library/DPP ... buddha.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

with metta
Chris
---The trouble is that you think you have time---
---Worry is the Interest, paid in advance, on a debt you may never owe---
---It's not what happens to you in life that is important ~ it's what you do with it ---

pelletboy

Post by pelletboy » Sat May 14, 2011 6:41 am

Does a Paccekabodhisatta need the same prerequisites of a full Bodhisatta like needing to see a live Awakened One and receiving a prediction of succeeding from the Awakened One? What other prerequisites does a Paccekabodhistta need? What does one need to get started on the path? How does one know to practice paramitas?

pelletboy

Post by pelletboy » Sat May 14, 2011 2:29 pm

Hi Turns out the answer to my question was in the article in the link. Sorry for the post. My other question now is if Paccekabuddhas exist in ordinary aeons without a fully Awakened One or is it limited to times between two fully Awakened Ones?
"Paccekabuddhas are said to exist only in periods when there are no Buddhas. “A person realises Paccekabodhi only when reborn at a time when there is no Buddha” (S-a III 189 and 208). Other expressions to denote this period are: ”the time which lies between (the appearances of) a Lord” (A-a I 194); ”a period in which no Teacher has appeared” (Pv-a III 144); and “the period between the Buddha (-periods)” (A-a II 192)."

pelletboy

Post by pelletboy » Sat May 14, 2011 3:07 pm

Another Question:
The article says:
"In addition to the classification of Buddha, Paccekabuddha and disciple, another classification occurring in the commentarial literature speaks of four kinds of Buddhas: the omniscient Buddha, the Paccekabuddha, the four-truths Buddha, and the learned Buddha (S-a I 25). These are explained as follows: “Here (the person) who, having fulfilled all the thirty perfections, [8] attains perfect enlightenment, is called an omniscient Buddha. (He), who, having fulfilled the perfections in the course of one hundred thousand kalpas plus two incalculable periods, attains the state of a self-existent one, is called a Paccekabuddha. The remaining ones who have destroyed the evil influences are called four-truths-Buddhas. And those who are very learned (are called) learned Buddhas” (S-a I 25). In this classification the third member of the threefold series, the disciple, has been divided into the liberated disciple or arahat and the disciple who is learned in the teaching but not yet liberated."
What are the two latter kind of Buddhas, the four-truths-Buddhas and the learned Buddha? Are they the liberated disciple or arahat and the disciple who is learned in the teaching but not yet liberated? Why then does it say that "In this classification the third member of the threefold series, the disciple, has been divided into the liberated disciple or arahat and the disciple who is learned in the teaching but not yet liberated?" What does the article mean by "threefold series" when there are four kinds of Buddhas?

icyteru

Post by icyteru » Sun May 22, 2011 1:31 am

pelletboy wrote:Hi Turns out the answer to my question was in the article in the link. Sorry for the post. My other question now is if Paccekabuddhas exist in ordinary aeons without a fully Awakened One or is it limited to times between two fully Awakened Ones?
"Paccekabuddhas are said to exist only in periods when there are no Buddhas. “A person realises Paccekabodhi only when reborn at a time when there is no Buddha” (S-a III 189 and 208). Other expressions to denote this period are: ”the time which lies between (the appearances of) a Lord” (A-a I 194); ”a period in which no Teacher has appeared” (Pv-a III 144); and “the period between the Buddha (-periods)” (A-a II 192)."
kappa with a Buddha called sara kappa,
kappa with two Buddha called Manda kappa, three Buddha
called vara kappa, and the five Buddha called bhadda kappa ; If
none of the Buddha who appears in a kappa-called
sunna kappa

so it means sunna kappa
The most complete english tipitaka on the internet world. http://realtruthlife.blogspot.com .