Mind lives on after death?

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism
aflatun

Re: Mind lives on after death?

Post by aflatun »

What naughty language the Mahanama Sutta uses!
I have heard that on one occasion the Blessed One was staying among the Sakyans near Kapilavatthu in Nigrodha's Park. Then Mahanama the Sakyan went to the Blessed One and, on arrival, having bowed down to him, sat to one side. As he was sitting there, he said to the Blessed One, "Lord, this Kapilavatthu is rich & prosperous, populous & crowded, its alleys congested. Sometimes, when I enter Kapilavatthu in the evening after visiting with the Blessed One or with the monks who inspire the mind, I meet up with a runaway elephant, a runaway horse, a runaway chariot, a runaway cart, or a runaway person. At times like that my mindfulness with regard to the Blessed One gets muddled, my mindfulness with regard to the Dhamma... the Sangha gets muddled. The thought occurs to me, 'If I were to die at this moment, what would be my destination? What would be my future course?"

"Have no fear, Mahanama! Have no fear! Your death will not be a bad one, your demise will not be bad. If one's mind has long been nurtured with conviction, nurtured with virtue, nurtured with learning, nurtured with relinquishment, nurtured with discernment, then when the body — endowed with form, composed of the four primary elements, born from mother & father, nourished with rice & porridge, subject to inconstancy, rubbing, pressing, dissolution, & dispersion — is eaten by crows, vultures, hawks, dogs, hyenas, or all sorts of creatures, nevertheless the mind — long nurtured with conviction, nurtured with virtue, learning, relinquishment, & discernment — rises upward and separates out.

"Suppose a man were to throw a jar of ghee or a jar of oil into a deep lake of water, where it would break. There the shards & jar-fragments would go down, while the ghee or oil would rise upward and separate out. In the same way, if one's mind has long been nurtured with conviction, nurtured with virtue, nurtured with learning, nurtured with relinquishment, nurtured with discernment, then when the body... is eaten by crows, vultures, hawks, dogs, hyenas, or all sorts of creatures, nevertheless the mind... rises upward and separates out.

"Have no fear, Mahanama! Have no fear! Your death will not be a bad one, your demise will not be bad."
"People often get too quick to say 'there's no self. There's no self...no self...no self.' There is self, there is focal point, its not yours. That's what not self is."

Ninoslav Ñāṇamoli
Senses and the Thought-1, 42:53

"Those who create constructs about the Buddha,
Who is beyond construction and without exhaustion,
Are thereby damaged by their constructs;
They fail to see the Thus-Gone.

That which is the nature of the Thus-Gone
Is also the nature of this world.
There is no nature of the Thus-Gone.
There is no nature of the world."

Nagarjuna
MMK XXII.15-16
Amanaki

Post by Amanaki »

Thank you for your reply to my comment.

In my path as a Buddhist i have studied the Digha Nikaya but i do not follow it to the letter since it has been translated many times and the translator has often (not always) put in his or her understanding of the original texts. By doing meditation one will realize the wisdom meant by the Buddha. Personally i only listen to a few Buddhist monks of today. But in this discussion i can try keep my answers only to what is written in the text if that is what the group want. :)
pegembara

Re: Re:

Post by pegembara »

cappuccino wrote: Fri Apr 06, 2018 9:52 pm
pegembara wrote: Fri Jan 07, 2011 3:58 am"As I understand the dhamma (the Teaching) as taught by the Bhagava, it is the same Consciousness which migrates and runs on (from existence to existence) and there is no other besides it (that does so)."
Consciousness is continuous, yet changing

same Consciousness is wrong
Which of the six vinnanas is being referred to here?
At Savatthi. "Monks, eye-consciousness is inconstant, changeable, alterable. Ear-consciousness... Nose-consciousness... Tongue-consciousness... Body-consciousness... mind-consciousness is inconstant, changeable, alterable.

https://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitak ... .than.html
Vinnanas can arise and cease without continuity eg. sounds, tastes, smells.
"If anyone were to say, 'The eye is the self,' that wouldn't be tenable. The arising & falling away of the eye are discerned. And when its arising & falling away are discerned, it would follow that 'My self arises & falls away.' That's why it wouldn't be tenable if anyone were to say, 'The eye is the self.' So the eye is not-self. If anyone were to say, 'Forms are the self,' that wouldn't be tenable... Thus the eye is not-self and forms are not-self. If anyone were to say, 'Consciousness at the eye is the self,' that wouldn't be tenable... Thus the eye is not-self, forms are not-self, consciousness at the eye is not-self. If anyone were to say, 'Contact at the eye is the self,' that wouldn't be tenable... Thus the eye is not-self, forms are not-self, consciousness at the eye is not-self, contact at the eye is not-self. If anyone were to say, 'Feeling is the self,' that wouldn't be tenable... Thus the eye is not-self, forms are not-self, consciousness at the eye is not-self, contact at the eye is not-self, feeling is not self. If anyone were to say, 'Craving is the self,' that wouldn't be tenable. The arising & falling away of craving are discerned. And when its arising & falling away are discerned, it would follow that 'My self arises & falls away.' That's why it wouldn't be tenable if anyone were to say, 'Craving is the self.' Thus the eye is not-self, forms are not-self, consciousness at the eye is not-self, contact at the eye is not-self, feeling is not self, craving is not-self.

And what is right speech? Abstaining from lying, from divisive speech, from abusive speech, & from idle chatter: This is called right speech.
cappuccino

Post by cappuccino »

type of consciousness arises and ceases

consciousness is always operative

although consciousness is impersonal
justindesilva

Re: Re:

Post by justindesilva »

:clap:
cappuccino wrote: Fri Apr 06, 2018 9:52 pm
pegembara wrote: Fri Jan 07, 2011 3:58 am"As I understand the dhamma (the Teaching) as taught by the Bhagava, it is the same Consciousness which migrates and runs on (from existence to existence) and there is no other besides it (that does so)."
Consciousness is continuous, yet changing

same Consciousness is wrong
The answer to the opening post is 'yes' . The mind lives on after the death. The death is a separation of the living mind and a living body. The mind then travels ( pati sandi citta) to find another mode of life ( say a womb) to take birth guided by karma. Hence the mind keeps on living. But as the mind is a combination of citta and cetasika , momentary changes of the mind will occur, but it is not death.Agganna sutta explains that when the world ceases to exist the mind goes to place itself in abassara loka.
Grigoris

Post by Grigoris »

The Abhidhamma texts seem to believe it does, citing a specific type of consciousness (patisandhi) on the mind continuum involved in ensuring continuity of the mind stream into the next rebirth.
ye dhammā hetuppabhavā tesaṁ hetuṁ tathāgato āha,
tesaṃca yo nirodho - evaṁvādī mahāsamaṇo.

Of those phenomena which arise from causes:
Those causes have been taught by the Tathāgata,
And their cessation too - thus proclaims the Great Ascetic.
pegembara

Post by pegembara »

cappuccino wrote: Wed Apr 18, 2018 4:12 am type of consciousness arises and ceases

consciousness is always operative

although consciousness is impersonal
To clear possible confusion with terms here.
First there is the 6 vinnanas.
Then there is the citta which isn't personal that experiences or is aware of the arising/ceasing of the 6 vinnanas.

If the citta was synonymous with vinnana, it couldn't discern the arising/ceasing of the vinnanas.

We are on the same page, I think.
And what is right speech? Abstaining from lying, from divisive speech, from abusive speech, & from idle chatter: This is called right speech.
dylanj

Post by dylanj »

cappuccino wrote: Sat Apr 07, 2018 2:18 pm I think atheists expect death, yet that will never happen
you're in for a painful surprise, friend

you will die
Born, become, arisen – made, prepared, short-lived
Bonded by decay and death – a nest for sickness, perishable
Produced by seeking nutriment – not fit to take delight in

Departure from this is peaceful – beyond reasoning and enduring
Unborn, unarisen – free from sorrow and stain
Ceasing of all factors of suffering – stilling of all preparations is bliss
Sam Vara
Site Admin

Post by Sam Vara »

aflatun wrote: Mon Apr 09, 2018 2:14 am What naughty language the Mahanama Sutta uses!
:goodpost:

I don't know which is the more interesting: that sutta, or the lack of comment it provoked!
aflatun

Post by aflatun »

Sam Vara wrote: Wed Apr 18, 2018 10:22 am
aflatun wrote: Mon Apr 09, 2018 2:14 am What naughty language the Mahanama Sutta uses!
:goodpost:

I don't know which is the more interesting: that sutta, or the lack of comment it provoked!
Hah! Indeed Sam, I was thinking the same thing yesterday when I noticed the deafening silence. :toilet:
"People often get too quick to say 'there's no self. There's no self...no self...no self.' There is self, there is focal point, its not yours. That's what not self is."

Ninoslav Ñāṇamoli

Nagarjuna
MMK XXII.15-16
aflatun

Post by aflatun »

grigoris wrote: Wed Apr 18, 2018 6:40 am The Abhidhamma texts seem to believe it does, citing a specific type of consciousness (patisandhi) on the mind continuum involved in ensuring continuity of the mind stream into the next rebirth.
And this is also a great point Grigoris. I don't think Buddhists on the whole have had any issue with the idea that "the mind lives on" so long as its understood correctly. This seems to hold across various sects and abidhammas, including of course non Theravadin ones.

PS: Still feels weird reading your posts without seeing your pic! :heart:

Ninoslav Ñāṇamoli

Nagarjuna
MMK XXII.15-16
pegembara

Post by pegembara »

The impersonal citta is not part of the 5 aggregates which are to be regarded as not self and thus gain freedom.
"So, bhikkhus any kind of form whatever, whether past, future or presently arisen, whether gross or subtle, whether in oneself or external, whether inferior or superior, whether far or near, must with right understanding how it is, be regarded thus: 'This is not mine, this is not I, this is not myself.'

"Any kind of feeling whatever...

"Any kind of perception whatever...

"Any kind of determination whatever...

"Any kind of consciousness whatever, whether past, future or presently arisen, whether gross or subtle, whether in oneself or external, whether inferior or superior, whether far or near must, with right understanding how it is, be regarded thus: 'This is not mine, this is not I, this is not my self.'

"Bhikkhus, when a noble follower who has heard (the truth) sees thus, he finds estrangement in form, he finds estrangement in feeling, he finds estrangement in perception, he finds estrangement in determinations, he finds estrangement in consciousness.

"When he finds estrangement, passion fades out. With the fading of passion, he is liberated. When liberated, there is knowledge that he is liberated.

https://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitak ... .nymo.html

Garrib

Post by Garrib »

dylanj wrote: Wed Apr 18, 2018 8:22 am
cappuccino wrote: Sat Apr 07, 2018 2:18 pm I think atheists expect death, yet that will never happen

you will die
I'm 99.99% sure that cappuccino knows that. What he means is that he fully expects a continuation of consciousness after death, whatever form that may take. I'm inclined to agree
justindesilva

Post by justindesilva »

Garrib wrote: Thu Apr 19, 2018 4:39 am
dylanj wrote: Wed Apr 18, 2018 8:22 am

you will die
I'm 99.99% sure that cappuccino knows that. What he means is that he fully expects a continuation of consciousness after death, whatever form that may take. I'm inclined to agree
If there is the death of mind, then we need not count on nirvana. Death of ' mind' will be like the death of the hero in a hollywood or bollywood film.
Saengnapha

Post by Saengnapha »

pegembara wrote: Thu Apr 19, 2018 4:31 am The impersonal citta is not part of the 5 aggregates which are to be regarded as not self and thus gain freedom.
"So, bhikkhus any kind of form whatever, whether past, future or presently arisen, whether gross or subtle, whether in oneself or external, whether inferior or superior, whether far or near, must with right understanding how it is, be regarded thus: 'This is not mine, this is not I, this is not myself.'

"Any kind of feeling whatever...

"Any kind of perception whatever...

"Any kind of determination whatever...

"Any kind of consciousness whatever, whether past, future or presently arisen, whether gross or subtle, whether in oneself or external, whether inferior or superior, whether far or near must, with right understanding how it is, be regarded thus: 'This is not mine, this is not I, this is not my self.'

"Bhikkhus, when a noble follower who has heard (the truth) sees thus, he finds estrangement in form, he finds estrangement in feeling, he finds estrangement in perception, he finds estrangement in determinations, he finds estrangement in consciousness.

"When he finds estrangement, passion fades out. With the fading of passion, he is liberated. When liberated, there is knowledge that he is liberated.

https://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitak ... .nymo.html

If you think/feel that this sutta is an important statement, why do you continue to identify with Buddhism and the idea that you are on a Path? Why do you continue to identify with practices, wisdom, states of mind/meditative absorptions and the gamut of beliefs in a person within the boundary of time? How do you continue to live in the same fashion that this sutta asks you to abandon/negate?