The 3 levels of knowledge about each of the 4 noble truths?

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism
starter

The 3 levels of knowledge about each of the 4 noble truths?

Post by starter » Fri Dec 24, 2010 11:43 pm

Hi friends,

Merry X-mas!

I'm reading Meditation4 and gets lost here:

"... only when he [the Buddha] had gained knowledge of things as they have come to be — in terms of the four noble truths, and the three levels of knowledge {?} about each truth — did he claim full Awakening."

What are tthe three levels of knowledge about each truth? They don't appear to be the 3 noble knowledge that the Buddha obtained at the night of his awakening?

Since I'll be away for a while, I wish all of you a very fruitful peaceful 2010! All the best,

Starter

mikenz66

Re: The 3 levels of knowledge about each of the 4 noble truths?

Post by mikenz66 » Sat Dec 25, 2010 12:51 am

Hi Starter,

SN 56.11 Dhammacakkappavattana Sutta
http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka ... .piya.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
"As long as my knowledge of seeing things as they really are, was not quite clear in these three aspects, in these twelve ways, concerning the Four Noble Truths,[3] I did not claim to have realized ...

[3]As the previous paragraphs indicate, there are three aspects of knowledge with regard to each of the Four Noble Truths: 1. The knowledge that it is the Truth (sacca-ñana). 2. The knowledge that a certain function with regard to this Truth should be performed (kicca-ñana). 3. The knowledge that the function with regard to this Truth has been performed (kata-ñana). The twelve ways or modes are obtained by applying these three aspects to each of the Four Noble Truths.
Hence the (usual) 12 spokes in the Dhamma Wheel.

:anjali:
Mike

clw_uk

Re: The 3 levels of knowledge about each of the 4 noble truths?

Post by clw_uk » Sat Dec 25, 2010 12:53 am

Ajahn Sumedho discusses this here

http://www.buddhanet.net/4noble.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Unbowed, Unbent, Unbroken