How to win a woman?

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism
Individual

How to win a woman?

Post by Individual » Wed Nov 17, 2010 7:46 pm

What advice did the Buddha give on how to win a woman's heart? :)
The best things in life aren't things.

The Diamond Sutra

Bhikkhu Pesala

Re: How to win a woman?

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala » Wed Nov 17, 2010 7:49 pm

Nun.
BlogPāli FontsIn This Very LifeBuddhist ChroniclesSoftware (Upasampadā: 24th June, 1979)

Individual

Post by Individual » Wed Nov 17, 2010 7:54 pm

Bhikkhu Pesala wrote:Nun.
Really? Are you sure? How is it that he advised people on proper diet, dental hygiene, proper management of finances, and how to treat one's wife, but nothing like this?

Perhaps it was because in the Buddha's day, you picked a wife like one farmer trading with another selected a goat to buy :)

If this is true, then, how might the Buddha have given such advice today? :)

The Diamond Sutra

Taco

Post by Taco » Wed Nov 17, 2010 8:16 pm

Proper diet, dental hygiene and proper management of finances?

cooran

Post by cooran » Wed Nov 17, 2010 8:22 pm

Hello Individual,

A HAPPY MARRIED LIFE - Ven Sri K. Dhammananda

……….’’ In Buddhism, one can find all the necessary advice which can help one to lead a happy married life. One should not neglect the advice given by the Enlightened Teacher if one really wants to lead a happy married life. In His discourses, the Buddha gave various kinds of advice for married couples and for those who are contemplating marriage. The Buddha has said, "If a man can find a suitable and understanding wife and a woman can find a suitable and understanding husband, both are fortunate indeed'"…………….
http://www.buddhanet.net/budsas/ebud/ebdha186.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

with metta
Chris
---The trouble is that you think you have time---
---Worry is the Interest, paid in advance, on a debt you may never owe---
---It's not what happens to you in life that is important ~ it's what you do with it ---

Individual

Post by Individual » Wed Nov 17, 2010 8:33 pm

Taco wrote:Proper diet, dental hygiene and proper management of finances?
That oatmeal is good for your health, you should brush your teeth, and split your finances into fourths (one fourth for charity, one fourth for expenses, one fourth for savings, one fourth for your business -- I believe that's correct but maybe not).

Somebody here is probably clever enough to find these remarks. I am not one of these people, however. :)
cooran wrote:Hello Individual,

A HAPPY MARRIED LIFE - Ven Sri K. Dhammananda

……….’’ In Buddhism, one can find all the necessary advice which can help one to lead a happy married life. One should not neglect the advice given by the Enlightened Teacher if one really wants to lead a happy married life. In His discourses, the Buddha gave various kinds of advice for married couples and for those who are contemplating marriage. The Buddha has said, "If a man can find a suitable and understanding wife and a woman can find a suitable and understanding husband, both are fortunate indeed'"…………….
http://www.buddhanet.net/budsas/ebud/ebdha186.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

with metta
Chris
Thank you! :)

I remember what he says about married life, but did he say anything about those unmarried? On second thought, I guess it was a stupid question because I forgot about his culture. So, really, what do Theravadin teachers say?

The Diamond Sutra

Goofaholix

Post by Goofaholix » Wed Nov 17, 2010 8:37 pm

Individual wrote:What advice did the Buddha give on how to win a woman's heart? :)
Remember the handful of leaves, even if aa a celibate he did know this information he would only teach it if it would lead to a reduction of suffering.
“Peace is within oneself to be found in the same place as agitation and suffering. It is not found in a forest or on a hilltop, nor is it given by a teacher. Where you experience suffering, you can also find freedom from suffering. Trying to run away from suffering is actually to run toward it.” ― Ajahn Chah

Individual

Post by Individual » Wed Nov 17, 2010 9:11 pm

Goofaholix wrote:
Individual wrote:What advice did the Buddha give on how to win a woman's heart? :)
Remember the handful of leaves, even if aa a celibate he did know this information he would only teach it if it would lead to a reduction of suffering.
It might, if the person was already obsessed. :embarassed:

The Diamond Sutra

Goofaholix

Post by Goofaholix » Wed Nov 17, 2010 9:21 pm

Individual wrote:It might, if the person was already obsessed. :embarassed:
I think you'll fin from the Buddhas perspective that would be changing one kind of suffering for another. The Buddha was about dealing with the root causes of suffering rather than just rearranging the deckchairs
“Peace is within oneself to be found in the same place as agitation and suffering. It is not found in a forest or on a hilltop, nor is it given by a teacher. Where you experience suffering, you can also find freedom from suffering. Trying to run away from suffering is actually to run toward it.” ― Ajahn Chah

acinteyyo

Post by acinteyyo » Wed Nov 17, 2010 9:22 pm

By far one of the most unnecessary questions I've ever heard in reference to the Dhamma.

best wishes, acinteyyo
Thag 1.20. Ajita - I do not fear death; nor do I long for life. I’ll lay down this body, aware and mindful.

tiltbillings

Post by tiltbillings » Wed Nov 17, 2010 9:23 pm

acinteyyo wrote:By far one of the most unnecessary questions I've ever heard in reference to the Dhamma.
That is for sure.
>> Do you see a man wise [enlightened/ariya] in his own eyes? There is more hope for a fool than for him.<< -- Proverbs 26:12

This being is bound to samsara, kamma is his means for going beyond. -- SN I, 38.

“Of course it is happening inside your head, Harry, but why on earth should that mean that it is not real?” HPatDH p.723

Paññāsikhara

Post by Paññāsikhara » Thu Nov 18, 2010 2:19 am

Bhikkhu Pesala wrote:Nun.
:jumping:

Bhante, that is too funny!
My recently moved Blog, containing some of my writings on the Buddha Dhamma, as well as a number of translations from classical Buddhist texts and modern authors, liturgy, etc.: Huifeng's Prajnacara Blog.

plwk

Post by plwk » Thu Nov 18, 2010 2:27 am

By treating them like one's own mother or sister? :tongue:

alan

Post by alan » Thu Nov 18, 2010 2:38 am

Really, that is just such an outrageously dumb question.

andre9999

Post by andre9999 » Thu Nov 18, 2010 2:46 am

Anyone who has ever been in a relationship with a woman can tell you that it is not compatible with the cessation of suffering. :)

That said, if you insist on it, the secret to gaining the interest of a woman is to be interested in her conversation and ask her questions about herself or her opinions. The secret to maintaining it?

1. Loving-kindness
2. Right speech
3. Incredible amounts of equanimity