Can one be a Buddhist and a materialist atheist at the s

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism
rybak303

Can one be a Buddhist and a materialist atheist at the s

Post by rybak303 » Mon Oct 04, 2010 11:16 am

Can one be a Buddhist and a materialist atheist at the same time? Can one be a Buddhist and believe that there is no realm of gods/goddesses, there is no such thing as a soul that exists beyond the physical body?

Shonin

Re: Can one be a Buddhist and a materialist atheist at the s

Post by Shonin » Mon Oct 04, 2010 11:34 am

rybak303 wrote:Can one be a Buddhist and a materialist atheist at the same time? Can one be a Buddhist and believe that there is no realm of gods/goddesses, there is no such thing as a soul that exists beyond the physical body?
This isn't a direct reply, I know, sorry. But does disbelieving in gods and souls mean one believes the metaphysical theory known as Materialism? I don't think so.

plwk

Post by plwk » Mon Oct 04, 2010 1:10 pm

Can one be a Buddhist and a materialist atheist at the same time?
Brahmajala Sutta
Beyond materialism and spiritualism: Buddhist perceptive on human development
Can one be a Buddhist and believe that there is no realm of gods/goddesses...

Kaccayanagotta Sutta
Acchariya-abbhūta Sutta
The Thirty-one Planes of Existence
http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka ... ml#iti-071" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
This was said by the Blessed One, said by the Arahant, so I have heard:
"I have seen beings who — endowed with bodily good conduct, verbal good conduct, & mental good conduct; who did not revile noble ones, who held right views and undertook actions under the influence of right views — at the break-up of the body, after death, have re-appeared in the good destination, the heavenly world.
It is not from having heard this from other priests & contemplatives that I tell you that I have seen beings who — endowed with bodily good conduct, verbal good conduct, & mental good conduct; who did not revile noble ones, who held right views and undertook actions under the influence of right views — at the break-up of the body, after death, have re-appeared in the good destination, the heavenly world.
It is from having known it myself, seen it myself, realized it myself that I tell you that I have seen beings who — endowed with bodily good conduct, verbal good conduct, & mental good conduct; who did not revile noble ones, who held right views and undertook actions under the influence of right views — at the break-up of the body, after death, have re-appeared in the good destination, the heavenly world."
....there is no such thing as a soul that exists beyond the physical body?
Ananda Sutta
Aggi-Vacchagotta Sutta
Anatta-lakkhana Sutta
Cula-Malunkyovada Sutta

5heaps

Post by 5heaps » Fri Oct 08, 2010 7:59 am

rybak303 wrote:Can one be a Buddhist and a materialist atheist at the same time?
who cares about "being buddhist"? one should just keep studying and if one finds something that makes sense, use it
A Japanese man has been arrested on suspicion of writing a computer virus that destroys and replaces files on a victim PC with manga images of squid, octopuses and sea urchins. Masato Nakatsuji, 27, of Izumisano, Osaka Prefecture, was quoted as telling police: "I wanted to see how much my computer programming skills had improved since the last time I was arrested."

ground

Post by ground » Fri Oct 08, 2010 9:09 am

rybak303 wrote:Can one be a Buddhist and a ... atheist at the same time?
Provided one accepts "right view" as taught by the buddha as a mark of "being a buddhist" then buddhists do not believe in a creator god that is the object of belief in theistic religions.
rybak303 wrote:Can one be a Buddhist and a ... materialist at the same time?
Provided one accepts "right view" as taught by the buddha as a mark of "being a buddhist" then a buddhist cannot be a materialist.
rybak303 wrote: Can one be a Buddhist and believe that there is no realm of gods/goddesses, there is no such thing as a soul that exists beyond the physical body?
A realm of gods/goddesses is taught to be one of the realms of existence in buddhism. I cannot exclude that there are some who understand this in a merely metaphorical sense and still practice the 8fold path as taught by the buddha, i.e. "are buddhists".
"belief in soul" is like "belief in a creator god" not compatible with "right view".

Kind regards