Do vaporizers kill mosquitoes?

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism
vitellius

Do vaporizers kill mosquitoes?

Post by vitellius »

Dear friends,

I wonder if anti-mosquito vaporizers kill them?

It seems that mosquito coils do, as they contain an insecticide:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mosquito_coil" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
vitellius

Re: Do vaporizers kill mosquitoes?

Post by vitellius »

Anyone wondered about that? :)
Paññāsikhara

Post by Paññāsikhara »

Do they vaporize the mosquito, or vaporize some other substance, which is either a repellent (non-lethal), or poison (lethal)?
My recently moved Blog, containing some of my writings on the Buddha Dhamma, as well as a number of translations from classical Buddhist texts and modern authors, liturgy, etc.: Huifeng's Prajnacara Blog.
Dan74

Post by Dan74 »

There are different sorts. I have come across sandalwood sticks and lavender oil ones which are natural repellents.
_/|\_
Sanghamitta

Post by Sanghamitta »

Dan74 wrote:There are different sorts. I have come across sandalwood sticks and lavender oil ones which are natural repellents.
This is a range of products including incenses called Colibri ( I think) which smell nice...lemony....and which repel insects.
The going for refuge is the door of entrance to the teachings of the Buddha.

Bhikku Bodhi.
Individual

Post by Individual »

I will never understand why making insects be homeless and starve to death is more compassionate than a brief swat.
The best things in life aren't things.

The Diamond Sutra
Annapurna

Post by Annapurna »

Hey, Individual!

When I don't get food in one shop, it doesn't make me homeless, nor will I starve. I'll just go to another one.

Mosquitos too. ;)
Individual

Post by Individual »

Annapurna wrote:Hey, Individual!

When I don't get food in one shop, it doesn't make me homeless, nor will I starve. I'll just go to another one.

Mosquitos too. ;)
So it's OK to force insects to leave your home, because they will just go and bother somebody else.

If the shoplifter doesn't learn his lesson or go to jail, there's no long-term gain if he leaves your store without stealing anything.

On top of this, it is disputable whether insects should be regarded as "sentient beings," or if they are something more like plants or bacteria. Because invertebrates (creatures without a spine) have less advanced nervous systems, so they may not have a capacity for suffering.
The best things in life aren't things.

The Diamond Sutra
Annapurna

Post by Annapurna »

Individual wrote:
Annapurna wrote:Hey, Individual!

Mosquitos too. ;)
So it's OK to force insects to leave your home, because they will just go and bother somebody else.

If the shoplifter doesn't learn his lesson or go to jail, there's no long-term gain if he leaves your store without stealing anything.

On top of this, it is disputable whether insects should be regarded as "sentient beings," or if they are something more like plants or bacteria. Because invertebrates (creatures without a spine) have less advanced nervous systems, so they may not have a capacity for suffering.
Sure. :smile: I solve my problems, and they solve theirs. 8-)

I catch mine and carry them out. I talk to them: "Don't be scared, its just a free ride in a glass." I even think they understand because then they sit down and don't want to come out. :D
On top of this, it is disputable whether insects should be regarded as "sentient beings," or if they are something more like plants or bacteria. Because invertebrates (creatures without a spine) have less advanced nervous systems, so they may not have a capacity for suffering
I'm a 100 % sure they are sentient. Think of eyes. Eyes are a sense faculty. They have big eyes and see you coming. They fear you kill them and try to fly away.

All this constitutes sentience.

But you definitely have more sentience than a mosquito. Your nervous system is far more evolved than a mosquitos.

Still, we shouldn't think of our own suffering too highly, and too lowly of theirs.
Alexei

Post by Alexei »

Individual wrote:starve to death
Both male and female mosquitoes are nectar feeders, but the females of many species are also capable of drinking blood from many mammals. Females do not require blood for their own survival, but they do need supplemental substances such as protein and iron to develop eggs.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mosquito" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Hanzze

Post by Hanzze »

Oleksandr wrote:Dear friends,

I wonder if anti-mosquito vaporizers kill them?

It seems that mosquito coils do, as they contain an insecticide:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mosquito_coil" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
What is the reason for the question? :-)
Just that! *smile*
...We Buddhists must find the courage to leave our temples and enter the temples of human experience, temples that are filled with suffering. If we listen to Buddha, Christ, or Gandhi, we can do nothing else. The refugee camps, the prisons, the ghettos, and the battlefields will become our temples. We have so much work to do. ... Peace is Possible! Step by Step. - Samtach Preah Maha Ghosananda "Step by Step" http://www.ghosananda.org/bio_book.html

BUT! it is important to become a real Buddhist first. Like Punna did: Punna Sutta Nate sante baram sokham _()_
vitellius

Post by vitellius »

Hanzze wrote:What is the reason for the question? :-)
It is obvious: I don't want to be bitten by mosquitoes and don't want to kill them.

Anyway, I haven't yet found an answer to my question.

And if we talk about repellents, what will they do to a mosquito if he's not able to escape from the room and have to breath this repellent?

It seems that I need to find a biologist to ask him :)
Ben

Post by Ben »

Hi Oleksandr

A repellant repels. It doesn't kill. It just causes discomfort if the insect gets close to the repellant agent.
kind regards

Ben
“No lists of things to be done. The day providential to itself. The hour. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes.”
- Cormac McCarthy, The Road

Learn this from the waters:
in mountain clefts and chasms,
loud gush the streamlets,
but great rivers flow silently.
- Sutta Nipata 3.725

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR

e: [email protected]..
Hanzze

Post by Hanzze »

Oleksandr wrote:
Hanzze wrote:What is the reason for the question? :-)[/quote
It is obvious: I don't want to be bitten by mosquitoes and don't want to kill them.
why do you like to be not bitten?
Just that! *smile*
...We Buddhists must find the courage to leave our temples and enter the temples of human experience, temples that are filled with suffering. If we listen to Buddha, Christ, or Gandhi, we can do nothing else. The refugee camps, the prisons, the ghettos, and the battlefields will become our temples. We have so much work to do. ... Peace is Possible! Step by Step. - Samtach Preah Maha Ghosananda "Step by Step" http://www.ghosananda.org/bio_book.html

BUT! it is important to become a real Buddhist first. Like Punna did: Punna Sutta Nate sante baram sokham _()_
Hanzze

Post by Hanzze »

Ben wrote: It doesn't kill.
Ben
As you have it already and all to run it. But its producing, its refilling the energy for it, its transport and so on even blogging the answers and questions here kills. Therefor, why do you like to be not bitten? What is the root of the problem? Solving in the thought way does not work.
Just that! *smile*