Confusion about Karma and Reincarnation

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism
JeffR

Re: Confusion about Karma and Reincarnation

Post by JeffR » Thu Sep 16, 2010 4:52 pm

Your choice Rybak,
Suttas or Sunrise.
Therein what are 'six (types of) disrespect'? One dwells without respect, without deference for the Teacher; one dwells without respect, without deference for the Teaching; one dwells without respect, without deference for the Order; one dwells without respect, without deference for the precepts; one dwells without respect, without deference for heedfulness; one dwells without respect, without deference for hospitality. These are six (types of) disrespect.
:Vibh 945

Sunrise

Post by Sunrise » Thu Sep 16, 2010 5:05 pm

JeffR wrote: Suttas or Sunrise.
Would you mind pointing me to a sutta which mentions "stream of consciousness" please?

Lazy_eye

Post by Lazy_eye » Thu Sep 16, 2010 5:29 pm

Aloka wrote:
I can't speak for Sunrise I don't even know him/her. However I can speak from my own experience and understanding.

Is that not allowed here ? It almost appears as If you wish to to suppress me, a mere helpless woman, in the manner of the Spanish Inquisition, Lazy-Eye !
Not my intention at all. Sorry if I came across that way -- thought we were just having some back-and-forth dialogue.

I seem to be picking fights right and left this week.
Whips and handcuffs at dawn ??
now, now, Aloka..this is a family-friendly site...

:tongue:

LE

tiltbillings

Post by tiltbillings » Fri Sep 17, 2010 1:32 am

I am locking this thread for right now in order to further review this thread, which seems to be taken way off course.
>> Do you see a man wise [enlightened/ariya] in his own eyes? There is more hope for a fool than for him.<< -- Proverbs 26:12

This being is bound to samsara, kamma is his means for going beyond. -- SN I, 38.

“Of course it is happening inside your head, Harry, but why on earth should that mean that it is not real?” HPatDH p.723

tiltbillings

Post by tiltbillings » Fri Sep 17, 2010 6:16 am

Simply, this is not a debate section, but this thread is starting to move in that direction. Maybe expressing one's opinions with a little less stridency and allowing that other opinions have their place within the context of the OP might be the way to go.

If one wants debate, then please take it to The Dhammic free-for-all section, home of The Great Rebirth Debate.

>> Do you see a man wise [enlightened/ariya] in his own eyes? There is more hope for a fool than for him.<< -- Proverbs 26:12

This being is bound to samsara, kamma is his means for going beyond. -- SN I, 38.

“Of course it is happening inside your head, Harry, but why on earth should that mean that it is not real?” HPatDH p.723