Explaining Buddhism to my Girlfriend

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism
Hanzze

Re: Explaining Buddhism to my Girlfriend

Post by Hanzze »

_/\_
Last edited by Hanzze on Sun Oct 31, 2010 6:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Just that! *smile*
...We Buddhists must find the courage to leave our temples and enter the temples of human experience, temples that are filled with suffering. If we listen to Buddha, Christ, or Gandhi, we can do nothing else. The refugee camps, the prisons, the ghettos, and the battlefields will become our temples. We have so much work to do. ... Peace is Possible! Step by Step. - Samtach Preah Maha Ghosananda "Step by Step" http://www.ghosananda.org/bio_book.html

BUT! it is important to become a real Buddhist first. Like Punna did: Punna Sutta Nate sante baram sokham _()_
Goedert

Re: Explaining Buddhism to my Girlfriend

Post by Goedert »

Hanzze wrote:From my experience, you can change the world as it is impermanent. As your views are also impermanent and the views of your girlfriend are impermanent. As soon as you start to change your views and face the problems as your teachers you are changing your environs. And you only need to start by your self to get it fixed. Conquering and converting is nothing else than violence, Buddhism is about how to get out of struggle.
No need to worry, its the "Just do it thing" :-)
Hello great active replier Hanzee,

When it comes to the phenomena of existence of other human being it is not that simple.

Our friend here can create two opposing forces in the mind of his girlfriend that in some time can create a great conflict in her mind.

One force is to live a normal social life and the other one is the force of dhamma implanted in a noon carefull way with her faculties.

Only a very well learned dhamma teacher should teach the core teachings to someone.

It is very easy to misunderstand the dhamma and get a wrong view. Someone can easly go to nihilism with three caracteristics of existence with out showing the remedy for it and that will create a great mass of streess for a long time for that person.

"By self alone is evil done; by self alone is one defiled; by self alone is evil not done;
by self alone is one purified.
Purity and impurity depend on oneself;
no one can purify another." Dhp XII 165