Who is Mara?

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism
Dhammarakkhito

Re: Who is Mara?

Post by Dhammarakkhito »

when buddha uses a simile he makes it clear that it is a simile. and like the last guy said, right view
"Just as the ocean has a single taste — that of salt — in the same way, this Dhamma-Vinaya has a single taste: that of release."
— Ud 5.5

https://www.facebook.com/noblebuddhadha ... 34/?type=3

http://seeingthroughthenet.net/
https://sites.google.com/site/santipada ... allytaught
Aloka

Post by Aloka »

Ajahn Amaro - "I know you Mara" (6 minute extract from"Practicing with the Four Noble Truths").

:anjali:
Dhammarakkhito

Post by Dhammarakkhito »

Attachments
Screen Shot 2017-11-25 at 01.17.49.png
Screen Shot 2017-11-25 at 01.17.49.png (41.82 KiB) Viewed 1905 times
Screen Shot 2017-11-25 at 00.57.49.png
Screen Shot 2017-11-25 at 00.57.49.png (101.83 KiB) Viewed 1908 times
Screen Shot 2017-11-25 at 00.58.00.png
Screen Shot 2017-11-25 at 00.58.00.png (37.34 KiB) Viewed 1908 times
"Just as the ocean has a single taste — that of salt — in the same way, this Dhamma-Vinaya has a single taste: that of release."
— Ud 5.5

https://www.facebook.com/noblebuddhadha ... 34/?type=3

http://seeingthroughthenet.net/
https://sites.google.com/site/santipada ... allytaught
Dhammanando

Post by Dhammanando »

Opapātika has both a narrow and a broad sense. In its narrow sense it means beings born apparitionally, such as devas, pretas and hell beings. In its broad sense it is connected with the upapāta part of cutūpapāta(-ñāṇa), "(knowledge of) the passing away and reappearance of beings". In other words, it refers to any being who has been reborn.

In the commentaries opapātika in the context of mundane right view is understood as being used in the broad sense. And so according to this understanding, the proper translation will not be, "There are apparitionally generated beings", but rather, "There are beings who reappear/get reborn." Mundane right view here is belief in rebirth, not belief in devas, māras, brahmās, petas, etc.
Rūpehi bhikkhave arūpā santatarā.
Arūpehi nirodho santataro ti.

“Bhikkhus, the formless is more peaceful than the form realms.
Cessation is more peaceful than the formless realms.”
(Santatarasutta, Iti 73)
Nicolas

Post by Nicolas »

Thanks for the clarification, Bhante.
unveiledartist

Post by unveiledartist »

SamKR wrote: Sun Jun 13, 2010 5:16 am The Buddha suggests frequently (in Tipitaka) to overcome Mara. But who is Mara? Reading the Suttas I get impression that Mara is a real evil being.
I am looking for a clear and concise answer, but I would welcome any of your inputs regarding this question.
Thank you.
:namaste:

One time I think Brahma incarnated as Mara in order to trick The Buddha into thinking that everything is perment and eternal. The incarnation represented a personification of someone causing The Buddha into deluted thought. Like other analogies, The Buddha conversed with Mara (diciples, or other etc) and won the debate. Mara/Brahma kneeled to The Buddha exclaiming The Buddha's wisdom. Its a message that the delusion has been overthrown. A lot of messages are in form of analogies and dialogue.

The Brahma Invitation
https://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitak ... .than.html
(Buddha said), "Monks, do not wage wordy warfare, saying: 'You don't understand this Dhamma and discipline, I understand this Dhamma and discipline'; 'How could you understand it? You have fallen into wrong practices: I have the right practice."~AN 4.183. Dont speak ill of other people and traditions with whom teach The Dharma. Right speech is respect in agreements and disagreements alike.

:anjali:
Gwi II

Post by Gwi II »

SamKR wrote: Sun Jun 13, 2010 5:16 am The Buddha suggests frequently (in Tipitaka) to overcome Mara. But who is Mara? Reading the Suttas I get impression that Mara is a real evil being.
I am looking for a clear and concise answer, but I would welcome any of your inputs regarding this question.
Thank you.
Māro: satan (devil).

Some yakkhas are also a group of māras, but māras
generally refer to "insurgent" in the highest heaven.

It can be anyone, his kingdom is in the highest heaven.
Remember when The Buddho was sitting under the Bodhi
tree before attaining perfect enlightenment, an army of māro,
and affiliates from various realms came.

Satan also interferes with other religions.
Gwi: "There are only-two Sakaṽādins:
Theraṽādå&Ṽibhajjaṽādå, the rest are
nonsakaṽādins!"
yamadwipa

Post by yamadwipa »

Wow Mara is satan. That's why the number 6, alright. Because he's a 6th heaven being. He's a sub angel because sometimes people will mistake him as an angel. But he's not a real angel. He's not as powerful as a real angel. God is basically an archangel on steroids.
jons

Post by jons »

Thank you.
Mara is real being, all maras live in the realm called Paranimmitavasavatti Deva (Devas that are wielding power over the creation of others for the sake of their own pleasure.) They don't want beings to leave Samsara. They are doing whatever they can to prevent those who practice meditation from gaining awakening to the reality of existence; however, they wouldn't waste their time to delude if you have no potential for awakening.

Mara will try to get off track from the path of awakening when your mind is at access concentration (upaccara samadhi). At access concentration, you can see light, you can do astral projection or astral travel. The Citta (your mind) can leave your body and travel to various realms of existence. At this level of concentration, when mara will try to get you off track from awakening. Mara will persuade you to become a medium, become a medicine person, become a fortune-teller and, etc.

To prevent your Citta from leaving the body, the Buddha advised a meditator to practice body contemplation. Your body is your boundary of protection for your Citta. Read the Buddha teaching called (Sakunagghi Sutta: The Hawk).

Peace to all
Jons
furlog

Post by furlog »

Mara is real. And like every other deity, he's very subtle.