the great rebirth debate

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism
Aloka

Re: the great rebirth debate

Post by Aloka »

nowheat wrote: . The Buddha's methods don't seem to me to be aimed at liberating individuals so much as at reducing suffering in the world for all beings, liberated or not.
...and yet there are verses in the suttas like this one:
One whose mind
is enmeshed in sympathy
for friends & companions,
neglects the true goal.
Seeing this danger in intimacy,
wander alone
like a rhinoceros.

http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka ... .than.html
Mkoll

Post by Mkoll »

nowheat wrote:The Buddha's methods don't seem to me to be aimed at liberating individuals so much as at reducing suffering in the world for all beings, liberated or not.
It's both of these things but one clearly takes precedence. Ven. Bodhi has said that he likes to classify the suttas in a threefold way based on how the commentaries classify them.

1) The happiness in the present life
2) The happiness in future lives
3) Liberation

All of the Buddha's teachings point towards #3.
And furthermore, just as the ocean has a single taste — that of salt — in the same way, this Dhamma & Vinaya has a single taste: that of release...
Ud 5.5

:anjali:
Namo tassa bhagavato arahato samma sambuddhassa
Alex123

Post by Alex123 »

nowheat wrote:Have you ever thought about what a selfish attitude the above represents?
Buddha's teaching is to end dukkha. A part of his belief was that death is not automatic end of it because their is rebirth for non-arahants. So to end all dukkha from ever repeating again, one would need to end being born and dying. If there is rebirth, then unfortunately suicide is not the answer.

Also, since dukkha is inherent part of life - we can't make samsara to be totally happy. There is no lasting happiness in existence. Just treating this or that wound.
Aloka

Post by Aloka »

Alex123 wrote:There is no lasting happiness in existence. Just treating this or that wound.
When the mind is at ease one has less inner conflict and discontent.

Alex123

Post by Alex123 »

Aloka wrote:
Alex123 wrote:There is no lasting happiness in existence. Just treating this or that wound.
When the mind is at ease one has less inner conflict and discontent.

For me, the best time when I am in deep sleep or totally unconscious. Deep sleep is the least stressful "time" of my miserable life.
Mkoll

Post by Mkoll »

Alex123 wrote:Also, since dukkha is inherent part of life - we can't make samsara to be totally happy.
Alex123 wrote:Deep sleep is the least stressful "time" of my miserable life.
Hi Alex,

The Buddha never taught that "suffering is an inherent part of life". He taught this:
"Suffering, as a noble truth, is this: Birth is suffering, aging is suffering, sickness is suffering, death is suffering, sorrow and lamentation, pain, grief and despair are suffering; association with the loathed is suffering, dissociation from the loved is suffering, not to get what one wants is suffering — in short, suffering is the five categories of clinging objects.
-SN 56.11
There is no mention of "life" which is an abstraction and a convention. The Buddha was very specific about what is suffering.

This Truth is to be known and seen with wisdom by one who attains a supramundane path. There's a gulf of difference between thinking (read: philosophizing) that life is suffering and knowing and seeing with supramundane wisdom that everything that arises is impermanent, suffering, and not-self. Thinking is the conditioned arising of a thought (read: mind-object) that is sensed by the mind and is itself destroyed soon after. This is my understanding as a worldling.

Holding the view that "life is miserable" implies that life is wholly miserable and that nothing brings happiness. However, the Buddha taught that many things in life bring happiness.
There are two kinds of happiness, O monks. The happiness of the home life and the happiness of monkhood. But the happiness of monkhood is the higher of the two.

The happiness of the senses and the happiness of renunciation. But the happiness of renunciation is the higher of the two.

Tainted happiness and taintless happiness. But taintless happiness is the higher of the two.

Carnal and non-carnal happiness—the non-carnal is the higher. Noble and ignoble happiness—the noble is the higher. Bodily and mental happiness—the mental is the higher.
-AN 2:7; selected

Don't torment yourself. Go and enjoy a chocolate milkshake or something! It may be impermanent but it is a form of happiness!

:heart:
Alex123

Post by Alex123 »

Hello Mkoll, all,
Mkoll wrote: Hi Alex,

The Buddha never taught that "suffering is an inherent part of life". He taught this:
"Suffering, as a noble truth, is this: Birth is suffering, aging is suffering, sickness is suffering, death is suffering, sorrow and lamentation, pain, grief and despair are suffering; association with the loathed is suffering, dissociation from the loved is suffering, not to get what one wants is suffering — in short, suffering is the five categories of clinging objects.
-SN 56.11
If we read the above it pretty much covers most events in life, and "five categories of clinging objects." is what we can have most conscious moments.

As for sorrow, I am near tears most of the days now... Craving is cause of suffering. Worldly things of making me feel better are not something that I am happy about doing.
culaavuso

Post by culaavuso »

Alex123 wrote: As for sorrow, I am near tears most of the days now... Craving is cause of suffering. Worldly things of making me feel better are not something that I am happy about doing.
I hope you find a cause for happiness. Things can get better. Here are a few links that I think might be of assistance. If I am misguided in my assessment, I apologize. May you be well.

Befrienders
Life Isn't Just Suffering
Affirming the Truths of the Heart
When Things Fall Apart: Heart Advice for Difficult Times

MN 137
MN 137: Salayatana-vibhanga Sutta wrote: By depending & relying on the six kinds of renunciation distress, abandon & transcend the six kinds of household distress.
By depending & relying on the six kinds of renunciation joy, abandon & transcend the six kinds of renunciation distress.
MN 137: Salayatana-vibhanga Sutta wrote: "And what are the six kinds of renunciation joy? The joy that arises when — experiencing the inconstancy of those very forms, their change, fading, & cessation — one sees with right discernment as it actually is that all forms, past or present, are inconstant, stressful, subject to change: That is called renunciation joy. (Similarly with sounds, smells, tastes, tactile sensations, & ideas.)
"And what are the six kinds of household distress? The distress that arises when one regards as a non-acquisition the non-acquisition of forms cognizable by the eye — agreeable, pleasing, charming, endearing, connected with worldly baits — or when one recalls the previous non-acquisition of such forms after they have passed, ceased, & changed: That is called household distress. (Similarly with sounds, smells, tastes, tactile sensations, & ideas.)

"And what are the six kinds of renunciation distress? The distress coming from the longing that arises in one who is filled with longing for the unexcelled liberations when — experiencing the inconstancy of those very forms, their change, fading, & cessation — he sees with right discernment as it actually is that all forms, past or present, are inconstant, stressful, subject to change and he is filled with this longing: 'O when will I enter & remain in the dimension that the noble ones now enter & remain in?' This is called renunciation distress. (Similarly with sounds, smells, tastes, tactile sensations, & ideas.)
Mkoll

Post by Mkoll »

My main point was that philosophizing is different from knowing and seeing. One is papanca and the other is wisdom. One is to be abandoned and the other is to be pursued.
Alex123 wrote:As for sorrow, I am near tears most of the days now... Craving is cause of suffering. Worldly things of making me feel better are not something that I am happy about doing.
Better some form of happiness than none. If you can't experience the pleasures of renunciation (or the practice of the Path that leads to the pleasures of renunciation) and neither can you experience the pleasures of the senses, then you're stuck in a perpetual limbo. You need something to get up for in the morning, even if it's only halfheartedly.
I hope you find a cause for happiness. Things can get better.
Hear, hear! This is trite and I'm sorry but: things will change, that's guaranteed.

:heart:

PS
A hypothesis is that you've burned yourself out on focusing on the dukkha aspect of existence. Why not try focusing on the impermanence of your conditioned experience as it arises and passes away? After all, the Buddha taught the three marks of existence.
Aloka

Post by Aloka »

Alex123 wrote:
As for sorrow, I am near tears most of the days now... Craving is cause of suffering. Worldly things of making me feel better are not something that I am happy about doing.
Alex, I think maybe you're focussing too much on the idea of "suffering," It doesn't always have to be so heavy and can just be the dissatisfaction we feel when things aren't going our way etc. Accepting impermanence and that life isn't all "a bed of roses" doesn't mean sinking into total despair. Practising and interacting with others/ making friendships away from a computer can help, as well as joining a meditation group or Buddhist centre....and getting involved in a job or voluntary work if you're not already.

Please consider getting some professional help if your depression is unmanageable, Alex . Wishing you well.

With metta,

Aloka
Alex123

Post by Alex123 »

Thank you very much all for above 3 posts.
Babadhari

Post by Babadhari »

hi alex

states of mind are transitory and impermanent too, while feeling down know that it will change and you will have relief from it.
i got through some troubles that overwhelmed me by letting go of them, so to speak, and acknowledging that they would make me stronger in the longterm. attitudes change over time, relax and be strong friend
metta :namaste:
Aflame with the fire of passion, the fire of aversion, the fire of delusion.
Aflame, with birth, aging & death, with sorrows, lamentations, pains, distresses, & despairs ......

Seeing thus, the disciple of the Noble One grows disenchanted. SN 35.28
nowheat

Post by nowheat »

Aloka wrote: ...and yet there are verses in the suttas like this one:
One whose mind
is enmeshed in sympathy
for friends & companions,
neglects the true goal.
Seeing this danger in intimacy,
wander alone
like a rhinoceros.

http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka ... .than.html
You might have missed the part where he says "for friends & companions"? That's still selfishness at work. He didn't say, "one whose mind is enmeshed in sympathy for all other beings -- one whose mind is engaged in the limitless practice of metta" did he. :smile:
nowheat

Post by nowheat »

Alex123 wrote:
nowheat wrote:Have you ever thought about what a selfish attitude the above represents?
Buddha's teaching is to end dukkha. A part of his belief was that death is not automatic end of it because their is rebirth for non-arahants. So to end all dukkha from ever repeating again, one would need to end being born and dying. If there is rebirth, then unfortunately suicide is not the answer.

Also, since dukkha is inherent part of life - we can't make samsara to be totally happy. There is no lasting happiness in existence. Just treating this or that wound.
I'm not sure what the above has to do with what I said, that you quoted, Alex. I was saying that the Buddha's methods certainly are aimed at reducing dukkha for all (whether it can end dukkha for all beings is speculative -- obviously we can have no direct evidence of that being possible since it has never happened). I was trying to get you to recognize that thinking that practice was only worthwhile if it would result in the individual's release from the cycle of rebirth was a selfish attitude.

Is it the case that if you were given convincing evidence that each of us only gets one life, you would then no longer be a Buddhist? Do you consider the practices you engage in to not lead to your benefit, and the benefit of those whose lives you touch right here in this life? Have you found no value in them beyond liberation from the cycle of rebirth? Are you saying that you are a Buddhist only because it can improve your chances at a good rebirth?
nowheat

Post by nowheat »

Alex123 wrote:Deep sleep is the least stressful "time" of my miserable life.
I hope that things get better for you. The above helps me understand some of the reasons you might be interpreting
to mean that "life is suffering". And you are not alone in reading it that way, not by a long shot. But as Mkoll/James pointed out, the Buddha never said that all of life is suffering, and he allowed that happiness comes in this very life in many forms (granted: some more noble than others). The Buddha was very careful with the language he used, and so, that he never said "Life is suffering" (nor did he say that one will not be free of suffering until after that last death) is significant.

I would wish for you that you could let go of the belief that there is no escape from suffering in this life, and put your faith in the Buddha when he says that it is possible to be free of it here-and-now:
At Savatthi. "For a monk practicing the Dhamma in accordance with the Dhamma, what accords with the Dhamma is this: that he keep cultivating disenchantment with regard to form, that he keep cultivating disenchantment with regard to feeling, that he keep cultivating disenchantment with regard to perception, that he keep cultivating disenchantment with regard to fabrications, that he keep cultivating disenchantment with regard to consciousness. As he keeps cultivating disenchantment with regard to form... feeling... perception... fabrications... consciousness, he comprehends form... feeling... perception... fabrications... consciousness. As he comprehends form... feeling... perception... fabrications... consciousness, he is totally released from form... feeling... perception... fabrications... consciousness. He is totally released from sorrows, lamentations, pains, distresses, & despairs. He is totally released, I tell you, from suffering & stress."
-- http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka ... .than.html
In the above, he carefully uses the present tense: "He *is* totally released, I tell you, from suffering and stress" -- not "he will be, after he dies." He says it is possible, and I am confident that he is right.