Entering jhana 1.

General discussion of issues related to Theravada Meditation, e.g. meditation postures, developing a regular sitting practice, skillfully relating to difficulties and hindrances, etc.
JC938

Entering jhana 1.

Post by JC938 »

Hello,

To enter jhana 1 or even 2,3..

How do you meditate? Do you do the sati pathan 4 (watching body, feeling, mind, emotion) or do you just watch the in and out of breath or do you just watch the mind and the thoughts (vipassana). How do you enter jhana 1 and feel happy?

Thank you.
form

Re: Entering jhana 1.

Post by form »

Many methods in the literature, but dun discuss with others. Or, you will be accused of showing off by some Buddhist societies.
JC938

Post by JC938 »

form wrote: Sun Aug 02, 2020 6:17 am Many methods in the literature, but dun discuss with others. Or, you will be accused of showing off by some Buddhist societies.
I have nothing to show off, I'm a noobie in meditation, never really meditated properly even once proper till now. I want to experience jhana 1 and want to know how to really do it.
confusedlayman

Post by confusedlayman »

JC938 wrote: Sun Aug 02, 2020 5:44 am Hello,

How do you meditate? Do you do the sati pathan 4 (watching body, feeling, mind, emotion) or do you just watch the in and out of breath or do you just watch the mind and the thoughts (vipassana). How do you enter jhana 1 and feel happy?

Thank you.
Hi.. 1st jhana needs 5 sence off, body immobolized, piti and sukka of jhanic level....5 hinderance off....

easy way to do is to make body asleep but mind awake... u need to enter hypnagogia state (sleep paralysis state) and once u enter u radiate metta which will take u upto 3rd jhana....

if u cant maintain awareness in sleep and cant enter sleep paralysis state, then u need to do mindfullness of breath so u reach this similar state in sitting position or during when u are not in sleep.

since we sleep everyday and body with 5 sence naturally goes blank during sleep, u dont have to do much work because 5 hinderance off, 5 sence off, body immobolized will be automatically taken care.. all u need to do is to be aware in ur sleep and when sleep paralysis state comes just radiate metta thats all u need to do...

pls try this method and get back to me.. completly safe, 90% of stuff is automatically taken care by natural process of sleep in body, 10% job is to be done (maintain awareness and radiate metta)

if u dont radiate metta, u might get scary sound hallucination and u will exit out of sleep itself... so radiate metta is important as metta during sleep paralysis will act as piti and sukha of jhanic pleasure level...

u need to radiate metta only after u know u r in sleep paralysis....

till u reach that state, relax ur body so it sleeps but maintain awareness

I have done the above method for past 3 years many times 30 times or more... validated with suttas and it is what it is.. however i would need u to try it tonight or this week and lemme know.
dont think
confusedlayman

Post by confusedlayman »

form wrote: Sun Aug 02, 2020 6:17 am Many methods in the literature, but dun discuss with others. Or, you will be accused of showing off by some Buddhist societies.
there is nothing wrong in showing off unless it not a lie...

there is nothing wrong in showing off unless one is training for arhantship from anagamiship like that as showing off is conceit ..
dont think
confusedlayman

Post by confusedlayman »

Thank you.
adding to that.. first jhana itself will be heavenly pleasures but the problem is when u come out u wont have personality change... infact ur life will be back as normal but u know buddhas teaching is true like higher states for sure...

jhanas are not addicting so u wont care to do everytime.. u will think its enough its too much already like that...

U can do for insight after emerging from 4th jhana... thats what buddha did and if u did attain instant arhantship, then make sure some monestry is giving u robes and bowl during this covid pandemic with 24 hours of lay life...
dont think
JC938

Post by JC938 »

@confusedlayman Thanks. I will try it.
DooDoot

Post by DooDoot »

jhana requires the mind free from the five hindrances and also the mind free from thoughts

the five hindrances are sensual desire, ill-will, sloth, restlessness-&-remorse and doubt/fear

the mind must be in the present moment, naturally with each in-breath & each out-breath, never thinking about the past or anticipating the future

jhana is unrelated to sleep, paralysis or hypnagogia
There is always an official executioner. If you try to take his place, It is like trying to be a master carpenter and cutting wood. If you try to cut wood like a master carpenter, you will only hurt your hand.

https://soundcloud.com/doodoot/paticcasamuppada
https://soundcloud.com/doodoot/anapanasati
form

Post by form »

DooDoot wrote: Sun Aug 02, 2020 8:45 am jhana requires the mind free from the five hindrances and also the mind free from thoughts

the five hindrances are sensual desire, ill-will, sloth, restlessness-&-remorse and doubt/fear

the mind must be in the present moment, naturally with each in-breath & each out-breath, never thinking about the past or anticipating the future

I think there are thoughts and examination in the first jhana as pointed out from the sutta.
form

Post by form »

confusedlayman wrote: Sun Aug 02, 2020 6:51 am
there is nothing wrong in showing off unless it not a lie...

there is nothing wrong in showing off unless one is training for arhantship from anagamiship like that as showing off is conceit ..
I agree with u. There are other Buddhist societies that are more open to meditation discussion than that particular one. I stick with those with style I am more comfortable with.
confusedlayman

Post by confusedlayman »

form wrote: Sun Aug 02, 2020 12:15 pm
DooDoot wrote: Sun Aug 02, 2020 8:45 am jhana requires the mind free from the five hindrances and also the mind free from thoughts

I think there are thoughts and examination in the first jhana as pointed out from the sutta.
yes it is mind voice which is very weak
dont think
frank k

Post by frank k »

a detailed study on first jhana and a step by step explanation with sutta references.
That's from a sutta and Early Buddhist Text point of view.
What confused layman, and other Theravadans call "jhana" is based on late Theravada (visuddhimagga) redefinition of Jhana, which is a completely different samadhi training method and practice.

Thank you.
www.lucid24.org/sted : ☸Lucid24.org🐘 STED definitions
www.audtip.org/audtip: 🎙️🔊Audio Tales in Pāli: ☸Dharma and Vinaya in many languages
form

Post by form »

confusedlayman wrote: Sun Aug 02, 2020 12:34 pm
form wrote: Sun Aug 02, 2020 12:15 pm

yes it is mind voice which is very weak
The levels of jhana should move around in a contemplation session. The more skillful the meditator, the better he can maneuver them. I read before when the Buddha is contemplating, something in his past experience trigger certain insights.
auto

Post by auto »

confusedlayman wrote: Sun Aug 02, 2020 6:48 am since we sleep everyday and body with 5 sence naturally goes blank during sleep, u dont have to do much work because 5 hinderance off, 5 sence off, body immobolized will be automatically taken care.. all u need to do is to be aware in ur sleep and when sleep paralysis state comes just radiate metta thats all u need to do...
You need know the hindrance in order to remove it, how else you know it is hindrance or why it is named the way it is named..
confusedlayman wrote: Sun Aug 02, 2020 6:48 am Hi.. 1st jhana needs 5 sence off, body immobolized, piti and sukka of jhanic level....5 hinderance off....
how do you know there have to be 5 hindrances off or only 1st hindrance to get into 1st jhana?
"5 senses off"
how do you know about hindrance if your senses are off?

if you read about 1st hindrance which is sensual pleasure, then you notice that it is about five senses. Five senses act as a decoy for hindrance to come out - Beautiful form can arose desire, which is sensory intent(kāmacchanda)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Five_hindrances wrote:Sensory desire (kāmacchanda): the particular type of wanting that seeks for happiness through the five senses of sight, sound, smell, taste and physical feeling.
the sensory intent what arises is what keeps you going and feeling of alive and interested in doing the things you do. Which actually is wrong intent. The correct intent is born from understanding the wrong intent which then makes the wrong intent right intent which then is not anymore sensory intent albeit for the outsider looks like it is sensory and ordinary.
NuanceOfSuchness

Post by NuanceOfSuchness »

Thank you.
The instructions are alarmingly simple. At one end of the spectrum jhanas are often trampled all over and thus made too complicated. At the other end of the spectrum jhanas are thrown into the sphere of taboo where one mustn't talk about jhana. Both approaches are silly. Here is the answer to your question.

Entering jhana always begins with body using repetition of practice. The first paragraph below addresses hindrances as these must be quelled before moving into jhana.
"There is the case where a monk remains focused on the body in & of itself — ardent, alert, & mindful — putting aside greed & distress with reference to the world. He remains focused on feelings... mind... mental qualities in & of themselves — ardent, alert, & mindful — putting aside greed & distress with reference to the world.

"Breathing in long, he discerns, 'I am breathing in long'; or breathing out long, he discerns, 'I am breathing out long.' Or breathing in short, he discerns, 'I am breathing in short'; or breathing out short, he discerns, 'I am breathing out short.' He trains himself, 'I will breathe in sensitive to the entire body.' He trains himself, 'I will breathe out sensitive to the entire body.' He trains himself, 'I will breathe in calming bodily fabrication.' He trains himself, 'I will breathe out calming bodily fabrication.' Just as a skilled turner or his apprentice, when making a long turn, discerns, 'I am making a long turn,' or when making a short turn discerns, 'I am making a short turn'; in the same way the monk, when breathing in long, discerns, 'I am breathing in long'; or breathing out long, he discerns, 'I am breathing out long' ... He trains himself, 'I will breathe in calming bodily fabrication.' He trains himself, 'I will breathe out calming bodily fabrication.'

"In this way he remains focused internally on the body in & of itself, or externally on the body in & of itself, or both internally & externally on the body in & of itself. Or he remains focused on the phenomenon of origination with regard to the body, on the phenomenon of passing away with regard to the body, or on the phenomenon of origination & passing away with regard to the body. Or his mindfulness that 'There is a body' is maintained to the extent of knowledge & remembrance. And he remains independent, unsustained by (not clinging to) anything in the world. This is how a monk remains focused on the body in & of itself.

https://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitak ... .than.html
For a more refined work on body/breathing as a doorway to jhana please see...

https://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitak ... .than.html