Poll: What do you consider authoritative?

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism

What do you consider authoritative?

I consider the Pali Canon (Vinaya, Suttas and Abhidhamma), commentaries and Visuddhimagga authoritative (either completely or for the most part).
14
26%
I consider only the Pali Canon (Vinaya, Suttas and Abhidhamma) authoritative (either completely or for the most part).
1
2%
I consider only the Pali Vinaya and Suttas authoritative (either completely or for the most part).
18
34%
I consider only the Pali Suttas as authoritative (either completely or for the most part).
4
8%
I consider only the Pali Vinaya as authoritative (either completely or for the most part).
0
No votes
I consider a specific Bhikkhu/Bhikkhuni or other teacher's teaching as authoritative over all other sources.
0
No votes
I do not consider anything authoritative but my own interpretation, and use what I please from all sources.
8
15%
My views are Mahayana, Vajrayana, some kind of blend of these with the Theravada, or other and do not fit any of these categories.
8
15%
 
Total votes: 53

zan
Posts: 980
Joined: Sun Aug 28, 2016 1:57 pm

Poll: What do you consider authoritative?

Post by zan »

Please select one option.
I am just a learner. Keep that in mind when you read my words.

Just to be safe, assume all of my words could be incorrect. Look to an arahant for total accuracy and confirmation.

User avatar
Ceisiwr
Posts: 7739
Joined: Sun Jan 11, 2009 2:36 am

Re: Poll: What do you consider authoritative?

Post by Ceisiwr »

I chose "I consider only the Pali Vinaya and Suttas authoritative (either completely or for the most part)." I do refer to the commentaries and sometimes the Abdhidhamma literature, for example i base my anapanasati practice on the patisambhidamagga, but both sets of literature are secondary in importance to me when compared to the suttas. Vinaya i just accept as it is. It doesn't really inform my understanding of the Dhamma that much. I do sometimes also compare pali suttas with the Agamas.
“Bhikkhus, whatever is not yours, abandon it. When you have abandoned it, that will lead to your welfare and happiness. ” SN 35:101

User avatar
Crazy cloud
Posts: 665
Joined: Sun May 12, 2013 8:55 am

Re: Poll: What do you consider authoritative?

Post by Crazy cloud »

" I do not consider anything authoritative but my own interpretation, and use what I please from all sources."

If "interpretation" was changed to "understanding", I could also vote.
If you didn't care
What happened to me
And I didn't care for you

We would zig-zag our way
Through the boredom and pain
Occasionally glancing up through the rain

Wondering which of the
Buggers to blame
And watching for pigs on the wing
- Roger Waters

zan
Posts: 980
Joined: Sun Aug 28, 2016 1:57 pm

Re: Poll: What do you consider authoritative?

Post by zan »

Crazy cloud wrote:
Mon May 11, 2020 5:54 pm
" I do not consider anything authoritative but my own interpretation, and use what I please from all sources."

If "interpretation" was changed to "understanding", I could also vote.
Thanks! I think you still could:
interpretation:

noun

an explanation or way of explaining.

Similar:

meaning
understanding
construal
connotation
reading
explanation
inference
conclusion
supposition
Last edited by zan on Mon May 11, 2020 6:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I am just a learner. Keep that in mind when you read my words.

Just to be safe, assume all of my words could be incorrect. Look to an arahant for total accuracy and confirmation.

zan
Posts: 980
Joined: Sun Aug 28, 2016 1:57 pm

Re: Poll: What do you consider authoritative?

Post by zan »

Ceisiwr wrote:
Mon May 11, 2020 5:36 pm
I chose "I consider only the Pali Vinaya and Suttas authoritative (either completely or for the most part)." I do refer to the commentaries and sometimes the Abdhidhamma literature, for example i base my anapanasati practice on the patisambhidamagga, but both sets of literature are secondary in importance to me when compared to the suttas. Vinaya i just accept as it is. It doesn't really inform my understanding of the Dhamma that much. I do sometimes also compare pali suttas with the Agamas.
Thanks!
I am just a learner. Keep that in mind when you read my words.

Just to be safe, assume all of my words could be incorrect. Look to an arahant for total accuracy and confirmation.

SteRo
Posts: 2412
Joined: Fri Oct 11, 2019 10:27 am

Re: Poll: What do you consider authoritative?

Post by SteRo »

My views are Mahayana, Vajrayana, some kind of blend of these with the Theravada, or other and do not fit any of these categories.
:sage:
To the spheres of experience ("users") it may concern: When applying words no truth or reality is claimed. Language only knows the extremes of (+)-affirming experience ("is", "has", "does", etc.) and (-)-negating experience ("isn't", "hasn't", "doesn't", etc.) but it does not know the 'zero'-(0)-experience of non-apprehension. Therefore every linguistic expression might erroneously appear as claim though it is only a preliminary suggestion.

User avatar
DooDoot
Posts: 8199
Joined: Tue Aug 08, 2017 11:06 pm

Re: Poll: What do you consider authoritative?

Post by DooDoot »

zan wrote:
Mon May 11, 2020 5:20 pm
Please select one option.
MN 38 verse 24.4 to 25.3 was selected. the link goes to the relevant passsage
SteRo wrote:
Mon May 11, 2020 8:23 pm
My ... :sage:
:thinking:
There is always an official executioner. If you try to take his place, It is like trying to be a master carpenter and cutting wood. If you try to cut wood like a master carpenter, you will only hurt your hand.

https://soundcloud.com/doodoot/paticcasamuppada
https://soundcloud.com/doodoot/anapanasati

SarathW
Posts: 14095
Joined: Mon Sep 10, 2012 2:49 am

Re: Poll: What do you consider authoritative?

Post by SarathW »

I voted No1.
What do you mean by authoritative?
Even Sutta's are not the word to word of Buddha.
They all were compiled latter by monks for memorisation.
“As the lamp consumes oil, the path realises Nibbana”

User avatar
Bundokji
Posts: 2793
Joined: Mon Nov 24, 2014 11:57 pm

Re: Poll: What do you consider authoritative?

Post by Bundokji »

If i attempt to answer this question in a way that is related to what i think of as a skillful action, what is authoritative is a set of assumptions, exempt from questioning (therefore true by definition) that are agreed upon among a group of people as basis for civilized engagement.

More generally, language and feelings are authoritative in the sense that meaning is always confined within their boundaries. That meaning can take the form of accepting or rejecting the presence of a certain experience, but remains within their boundaries nonetheless.
And the Blessed One addressed the bhikkhus, saying: "Behold now, bhikkhus, I exhort you: All compounded things are subject to vanish. Strive with earnestness!"

This was the last word of the Tathagata.

User avatar
rhinoceroshorn
Posts: 340
Joined: Fri May 01, 2020 7:27 pm

Re: Poll: What do you consider authoritative?

Post by rhinoceroshorn »

SteRo wrote:
Mon May 11, 2020 8:23 pm
My views are Mahayana, Vajrayana, some kind of blend of these with the Theravada, or other and do not fit any of these categories.
:sage:
Hello my friend, I would like to know about this syncretism of yours.
My practice is 100% based on Theravadin traditions. Mainly because it works really well. :thumbsup: But I have some appreciation for Nyingma and Kagyu in Vajrayana and for Chan/Zen in Mahayana. I'm fascinated about characters such as Padmasambhava, Milarepa, Marpa, Tilopa, Naropa; Hanshan, Bodhidharma. Their life stories are very inspiring.
Sometimes I catch myself reading some koan or chanting Amitabha's name too. I also have some rlung rta hung on my house to bless my neighborhood. :embarassed:

But those Vajra and Mahayana influences on me don't go much beyond. I disagree with fundamental aspects of them, like the Bodhisattva ideal.
Not neglecting seclusion, absorption,
constantly living the Dhamma
in line with the Dhamma,
comprehending the danger
in states of becoming,
wander alone
like a rhinoceros.
SN 1.3
Image
Lust is a maker of nimittas, hate is a maker of nimittas, delusion is a maker of nimittas.
Rāgo kho, āvuso, nimittakaraṇo, doso nimittakaraṇo, moho nimittakaraṇo. (MN 43, SN 41.7)

SteRo
Posts: 2412
Joined: Fri Oct 11, 2019 10:27 am

Re: Poll: What do you consider authoritative?

Post by SteRo »

rhinoceroshorn wrote:
Tue May 12, 2020 12:12 am
SteRo wrote:
Mon May 11, 2020 8:23 pm
My views are Mahayana, Vajrayana, some kind of blend of these with the Theravada, or other and do not fit any of these categories.
:sage:
Hello my friend, I would like to know about this syncretism of yours.
My practice is 100% based on Theravadin traditions. Mainly because it works really well. :thumbsup: But I have some appreciation for Nyingma and Kagyu in Vajrayana and for Chan/Zen in Mahayana. I'm fascinated about characters such as Padmasambhava, Milarepa, Marpa, Tilopa, Naropa; Hanshan, Bodhidharma. Their life stories are very inspiring.
Sometimes I catch myself reading some koan or chanting Amitabha's name too. I also have some rlung rta hung on my house to bless my neighborhood. :embarassed:

But those Vajra and Mahayana influences on me don't go much beyond. I disagree with fundamental aspects of them, like the Bodhisattva ideal.
It's perfectly ok for me if others follow the teachings of one and only one tradition. I guess I would have never contacted the Buddha's teachings if Theravada would have been the only existing tradition. In the Mahayana tradition I initially started with it has been advised that it is very important to also study the suttas of the Pali canon. Meanwhile I don't see a fundamental difference between the thrusts of suttas, sutras or tantras (=the texts belonging to Vajrayana) but I consider these to be simply different forms of verbal expression which however entail different forms of practice. I don't think that these necessarily lead to the same final results but that the results may be different depending on the lineage of individuals.
To the spheres of experience ("users") it may concern: When applying words no truth or reality is claimed. Language only knows the extremes of (+)-affirming experience ("is", "has", "does", etc.) and (-)-negating experience ("isn't", "hasn't", "doesn't", etc.) but it does not know the 'zero'-(0)-experience of non-apprehension. Therefore every linguistic expression might erroneously appear as claim though it is only a preliminary suggestion.

User avatar
DooDoot
Posts: 8199
Joined: Tue Aug 08, 2017 11:06 pm

Re: Poll: What do you consider authoritative?

Post by DooDoot »

SteRo wrote:
Tue May 12, 2020 9:46 am
I don't see a fundamental difference between the thrusts of suttas, sutras or tantras (=the texts belonging to Vajrayana)
Sutta/Hinayana is liberation of the individual mind via realisation of emptiness

Mahayana or bodhicitta is the task of saving all sentient beings (contrary to what the Pali Buddha said is possible)

Vajrayana is developing the beautiful qualities of a deity so to cause others to melt in your perfect love

Therefore is seems Mahayana or bodhicitta is not compatible with Pali Hinayana Dhamma
There is always an official executioner. If you try to take his place, It is like trying to be a master carpenter and cutting wood. If you try to cut wood like a master carpenter, you will only hurt your hand.

https://soundcloud.com/doodoot/paticcasamuppada
https://soundcloud.com/doodoot/anapanasati

sentinel
Posts: 3106
Joined: Sun Jun 04, 2017 1:26 pm

Re: Poll: What do you consider authoritative?

Post by sentinel »

Fyi

According to Mahayana sutras bodhicitta is trainings on 6 parami(tas)
(The Six Perfections are:
generosity.
morality.
patience.
energy.
samadhi.
wisdom.)
(in which it covers the four truth eight fold path and dependent arising)
In order to achieve the task of saving all sentient beings but in actuality no sentient beings being saves ultimately (that is bcus sentient beings are empty of self).

Vajrayana practise is based on Mahayana bodhicitta developing similar qualities but expands further in developing all kinds of skills to help alleviate and relief sentient beings from multiplicity of sufferings .
Last edited by sentinel on Tue May 12, 2020 3:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
“The foot feels the foot when it feels the ground.”

User avatar
rhinoceroshorn
Posts: 340
Joined: Fri May 01, 2020 7:27 pm

Re: Poll: What do you consider authoritative?

Post by rhinoceroshorn »

sentinel wrote:
Tue May 12, 2020 3:35 pm
In order to achieve the task of saving all sentient beings but in actuality no sentient beings being saves ultimately .
:rofl:
Not neglecting seclusion, absorption,
constantly living the Dhamma
in line with the Dhamma,
comprehending the danger
in states of becoming,
wander alone
like a rhinoceros.
SN 1.3
Image
Lust is a maker of nimittas, hate is a maker of nimittas, delusion is a maker of nimittas.
Rāgo kho, āvuso, nimittakaraṇo, doso nimittakaraṇo, moho nimittakaraṇo. (MN 43, SN 41.7)

User avatar
SDC
Posts: 6015
Joined: Mon Dec 14, 2009 11:08 pm

Re: Poll: What do you consider authoritative?

Post by SDC »

The way I see it, the only authority is the right view, but it is an authority unto itself - a reference point for further progress once it is acquired. The only authority prior to right view is the inclination of the mind one finds most preferable.

Post Reply