How do Buddhists get rid of ants and other pests and insects?

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism
binocular

Re: How do Buddhists get rid of ants and other pests and insects?

Post by binocular »

asker wrote:
Sun Mar 08, 2020 9:07 am
How do Buddhists get rid of ants and other pests and insects in their home?
With two of the most dangerous ones that live here, I am at peace. When the random wasp or hornet wanders into a room, I do nothing. Wasps and hornets are smart, they know to leave on their own, going out where they came in.

salayatananirodha

Post by salayatananirodha »

It’s impossible not to kill something at some point when living as a householder. Fleas on children being a perfect example.
this is false. all the stream enterers who were householders in the suttas did not kill
16. 'In what has the world originated?' — so said the Yakkha Hemavata, — 'with what is the world intimate? by what is the world afflicted, after having grasped at what?' (167)

17. 'In six the world has originated, O Hemavata,' — so said Bhagavat, — 'with six it is intimate, by six the world is afflicted, after having grasped at six.' (168)

- Hemavatasutta

links:
https://www.ancient-buddhist-texts.net/index.htm
http://thaiforestwisdom.org/canonical-texts/
http://seeingthroughthenet.net/wp-conte ... _Heart.pdf
https://www.dhammatalks.org/index.html

thepea

Post by thepea »

Invite my mom for a visit. She is Christian and doesn’t seem to have this issue. Lol 😆

binocular

Post by binocular »

salayatananirodha wrote:
Wed Mar 11, 2020 6:03 am
this is false. all the stream enterers who were householders in the suttas did not kill
Presumably they had such good karma that fleas etc. didn't go anywhere near them; so, no need to kill them.

(I heard from some Hindus that fleas, mosquitos, worms, etc. don't go anywhere near spiritually advanced people. This might be a general Asian/dharmic theme.)

Spiny Norman

Post by Spiny Norman »

Sam Vara wrote:
Tue Mar 10, 2020 6:54 pm
Aloka wrote:
Tue Mar 10, 2020 6:22 pm
How do Buddhists get rid of ants and other pests and insects in their home?
Find out where they're getting in and then block up or use filler in the hole or crack.

Ants and other crawling insects don't like the following and will avoid them : cinnamon, chili powder, cayenne pepper. cloves, garlic, vinegar, peppermint oil, citrus oil, and coffee grounds. Wasps dislike the smell of peppermint oil and also tea tree oil.

Apparently spiders don't like horse chestnut either. You can buy the oil in spray form. Trouble is, house spiders like the inside of houses and are often hatched there. Where do you spray so you don't just trap them in the house? :shrug: :smile:
House spiders are OK, and I wouldn't move them out in the cold. Mine come out to watch TV sometimes. :tongue:
Buddha save me from new-agers!

Sam Vara

Post by Sam Vara »

Dinsdale wrote:
Wed Mar 11, 2020 6:40 pm

House spiders are OK, and I wouldn't move them out in the cold. Mine come out to watch TV sometimes. :tongue:
The house-spider I mentioned up-thread was so big it could have changed channels by itself if it had wanted to.

If they come capering across the carpet, the cat gets 'em.

mikenz66

Post by mikenz66 »

Sam Vara wrote:
Wed Mar 11, 2020 6:55 pm
The wonders of biodiversity... :tongue:

:heart:
Mike

Spiny Norman

Post by Spiny Norman »

Sam Vara wrote:
Wed Mar 11, 2020 6:55 pm
Dinsdale wrote:

The house-spider I mentioned up-thread was so big it could have changed channels by itself if it had wanted to.

I used to have a cat which would bring spiders into the house, little presents I suppose. :jumping:
Buddha save me from new-agers!

rolling_boulder

Post by rolling_boulder »

binocular wrote:
(I heard from some Hindus that fleas, mosquitos, worms, etc. don't go anywhere near spiritually advanced people. This might be a general Asian/dharmic theme.)
Well then given how much mosquitoes seem to love me, I have a long way to go...
The world is swept away. It does not endure...
The world is without shelter, without protector...
The world is without ownership. One has to pass on, leaving everything behind...
The world is insufficient, insatiable, a slave to craving.

sunnat

Post by sunnat »

Ask yourself what is it that is gotten rid of when bugs are gotten rid of. Sometimes the proper getting rid of that is by practicing meditation. At the same time, a good way of keeping bugs away is to not feed and water them. They'll naturally go elsewhere. Keep the surroundings swept clean.

Also, if you generate heat and breathe deeply and sweat, which often happens when strong cravings (for things to be different) arise, bugs are attracted. A calm gentle mindset makes for a cool surroundings with less of that which bugs are attracted to. Again: meditate.